Grady White Islander 26' Bait Tank Install

May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
Name
Sam Neilson
Boat
The Pantie Dropper
I have a 1995 Islander 26 that I recently acquired a Blue Water oval bait tank for. I am now in the process of reinforcing the deck hatch it will sit on - but am having problems with the plumbing solution.

The intake line should not be too much of a problem but trying to figure out a discharge path is giving me issues. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Reactions: Shewillbemine
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
Name
Sam Neilson
Boat
The Pantie Dropper
See attached photos of the tank and proposed location. Sorry the photo of the deck space is the only one I had on hand. The blue water tank is the standard bottom inlet and discharge so both will be going down into the deck.

PXL_20201201_155825666.jpg

PXL_20210301_004853497.jpg

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
if it fits in between the two inspection plates and both pipes point towards the stern, you are golden.

If you have a mismatch on pipe sizing and you make the smaller one bigger with marine shrink wrap over the fitting to increase the size.

Dish soap is your friend for lubing up tight fittings

The hole you cut centered for the fittings. then mounting on the deck hold the tank.

If you are installing bait tank lights, install a redundant set so when the first set dies, you just rewire the backups and fix them offseason.

good luck

single 250?

May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
Name
Sam Neilson
Boat
The Pantie Dropper
if it fits in between the two inspection plates and both pipes point towards the stern, you are golden.

If you have a mismatch on pipe sizing and you make the smaller one bigger with marine shrink wrap over the fitting to increase the size.

Dish soap is your friend for lubing up tight fittings

The hole you cut centered for the fittings. then mounting on the deck hold the tank.

If you are installing bait tank lights, install a redundant set so when the first set dies, you just rewire the backups and fix them offseason.

good luck

single 250?

Thanks for the input. Challenge will be routing of the hose once under the deck.

Single 250 with only 265 original hours but had sat for 10 years (along with the whole boat).. Rebuilt all 6 carbs and whole fuel assembly...it was not fun. Runs good though and pushes the boat no issue. cruises at 4200-4500 rpm @ 25-28 mph and WOT 5200 RPM at 40 MPH.

Reactions: aguachico

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Nice!

The hoses should between the deck and the tank without much bend depending. The bulk head, not sure. sweet boat.

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Have you popped those rear inspection plates to see what kid of space you have to route pick up and drain?

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Where are you located .
I just upgraded my 40 to a BW 65 and replaced all hoses.
Was a PITA , but if I had to do it again, it would be twice as fast .
Plus cutting a hole in someone else's boat is easier than cutting one in your own .
Can you access the bilge under that back seat ?

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

firreal

Oct 25, 2013
Simi Valley, Ca.,
Name
Richard
Boat
282 Sailfish Grady-White
Where are you located. I have a 282 Grady. Im going to be installing a 60 bait tank this weekend. Plumbing is going to go under the deck over the gas tanks and into the bilge area. Hit me up if you want to see the process on boat

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
I have a 1995 Islander 26 that I recently acquired a Blue Water oval bait tank for. I am now in the process of reinforcing the deck hatch it will sit on - but am having problems with the plumbing solution.

The intake line should not be too much of a problem but trying to figure out a discharge path is giving me issues. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

We have a 268 Islander with a pacific edge 60gal bait system that works flawless. Twin through hulls with dual pumps. Our discharge is straight back in the transom between the motors.

CC07FE94-B876-40A3-A0F4-34E13ECDD450.jpeg

7FB954B8-6AAF-428F-BF7F-62280B9E37DA.jpeg

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
Name
Sam Neilson
Boat
The Pantie Dropper
We have a 268 Islander with a pacific edge 60gal bait system that works flawless. Twin through hulls with dual pumps. Our discharge is straight back in the transom between the motors.

View attachment 1259509

View attachment 1259510

Sweet sled!! I have the twin pickups in the same location. One is for bait pump and one is raw water wash down. How did you route the drain line past the bulkhead that is between the rear tank and the bilge?

Thanks!

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I have a 1998 Sailfish with a 90 Pac Edge teardrop. your more than welcome to come see mine. On the trailer at my house in Serra Mesa. Right larger hose is the drain left hose is the pick up. LMK

tank 2.jpg

Last edited:

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    Should be able to just run the input from the through hull on the bottom and the out from the existing drain that was hooked up tot he previous transom bait tank. Are you trying to leave the transom tank operational? Also, I was able to get a down sizing coupler from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" and the tank drained properly. Randy's tanks run a 1 1/2" drain but can drain without overflowing through the 1 1/4". It was a nice heavy plastic coupler I got from either West Marine or the marine shop in Seal Beach near West Marine.

The best way I found to get those stiff ass hoses over anything was with a heat gun. Heat the hose and put dish soap on the male side. Lube it and stick it in the HOLE!

May 24, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Sam Neilson
    Boat
    The Pantie Dropper
    Should be able to just run the input from the through hull on the bottom and the out from the existing drain that was hooked up tot he previous transom bait tank. Are you trying to leave the transom tank operational? Also, I was able to get a down sizing coupler from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" and the tank drained properly. Randy's tanks run a 1 1/2" drain but can drain without overflowing through the 1 1/4". It was a nice heavy plastic coupler I got from either West Marine or the marine shop in Seal Beach near West Marine.

The best way I found to get those stiff ass hoses over anything was with a heat gun. Heat the hose and put dish soap on the male side. Lube it and stick it in the HOLE!

Probably going to find a different method for drain the the existing tanks thru hull - as there is a bulk head and two stringers Id have to go through in order to get to that drain valve.

I will be using the original pick up though.