Grace of God.....

fishhardsb

Nov 21, 2016
Santa Barbara
Name
Chris
Boat
Grady
My son Aden who just turned 14 has always been blessed in fishing. My father was my hero and fishing partner all my life until his passing a little over eleven years ago. Since then I have regained a new partner, my son - Aden and it’s been a blessing passing down what my father taught me and seeing him excel so quickly. He’s been fishing since he was two years old, catching everything from trout to tuna and all in between. When he was 8 years old he landed a 9 pound rainbow trout out of Convict Lake that is mounted in his room. Aden being no stranger to big fish, has won multiple jackpots over the years and coming down to San Diego catching his first YFT at 8 years old on the Tomahawk (picture is my avatar). This was an Anglers Chronicle 1.5 day trip on the Ocean Odyssey this pass week. Fishing was tough until 2:00 pm we finally found a school BFT in the 25-40 pound range that wanted to bite. I was one of the fortunate to hook and land a 35 pounder, they were picky and would only bite 20 to 25 pound line. They were also very skittish and would only hit the first baits to enter the water and then would disappear. We would have to chase them down to get in front of them and start all over. My son got a 35 pound class BFT and brought it to gaff, but unfortunately the decked hand gaffed in the jaw while bringing it up, the fish shook his head and ripped its own jaw and while doing so broke off my sons line due to my son not putting it in free spool, therefore losing his fish. He was so bummed, but I reassured him he did everything right, except for not putting the reel in free spool after being gaffed. The Captain decided to put out the Kite with dead flyer and immediately got smashed. We watched this happen three more times with all the anglers really struggling whose #’s were drawn out of the hat, to bring in their fish. But we now had four 120 to 140 pound fish on deck. To our surprise the next fish to hit the kite was going to be given to my son Aden to fight. I stood beside Aden and coached him through two hours, 5 trips around the boat to bring in this hard fighting fish and not one time did he ever ask for help or complain when clearly he was in pain. Finally within reach his monster BFT was gaffed by there deckhands and brought on board. Thank you Jesus! Yahoo and high fives all around! I couldn’t be prouder of my son! His monster ended up weighing in at 142 pounds and claimed jackpot. I know my Dad is looking down with a big smile from heaven and I will cherish this memory forever!

D4E6D2BE-8C53-435A-9F82-0B6F638FB6A1.jpeg

CA65592A-96D6-4FB2-AB55-0282F1EDEB32.jpeg

AB6DB934-8C19-4BE6-A270-74C3F67C75F4.jpeg

0BA98DF9-9E10-484F-8BAF-153E9DEB16BB.jpeg

20EA6E6C-DF14-4A46-89B9-BED7FEAFAACB.jpeg

lmuncie

Dec 20, 2016
Seal Beach
Name
Lee Muncie
Boat
None
My son Aden who just turned 14 has always been blessed in fishing. My father was my hero and fishing partner all my life until his passing a little over eleven years ago. Since then I have regained a new partner, my son - Aden and it’s been a blessing passing down what my father taught me and seeing him excel so quickly. He’s been fishing since he was two years old, catching everything from trout to tuna and all in between. When he was 8 years old he landed a 9 pound rainbow trout out of Convict Lake that is mounted in his room. Aden being no stranger to big fish, has won multiple jackpots over the years and coming down to San Diego catching his first YFT at 8 years old on the Tomahawk (picture is my avatar). This was an Anglers Chronicle 1.5 day trip on the Ocean Odyssey this pass week. Fishing was tough until 2:00 pm we finally found a school BFT in the 25-40 pound range that wanted to bite. I was one of the fortunate to hook and land a 35 pounder, they were picky and would only bite 20 to 25 pound line. They were also very skittish and would only hit the first baits to enter the water and then would disappear. We would have to chase them down to get in front of them and start all over. My son got a 35 pound class BFT and brought it to gaff, but unfortunately the decked hand gaffed in the jaw while bringing it up, the fish shook his head and ripped its own jaw and while doing so broke off my sons line due to my son not putting it in free spool, therefore losing his fish. He was so bummed, but I reassured him he did everything right, except for not putting the reel in free spool after being gaffed. The Captain decided to put out the Kite with dead flyer and immediately got smashed. We watched this happen three more times with all the anglers really struggling whose #’s were drawn out of the hat, to bring in their fish. But we now had four 120 to 140 pound fish on deck. To our surprise the next fish to hit the kite was going to be given to my son Aden to fight. I stood beside Aden and coached him through two hours, 5 trips around the boat to bring in this hard fighting fish and not one time did he ever ask for help or complain when clearly he was in pain. Finally within reach his monster BFT was gaffed by there deckhands and brought on board. Thank you Jesus! Yahoo and high fives all around! I couldn’t be prouder of my son! His monster ended up weighing in at 142 pounds and claimed jackpot. I know my Dad is looking down with a big smile from heaven and I will cherish this memory forever!

View attachment 1169875

View attachment 1169876

View attachment 1169877

View attachment 1169878

View attachment 1169879
God is good. Congrats

Mark C.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Right on, this is the good stuff. No pain, no gain! Your boy will never forget this fish and this trip spent with you.

Reactions: fishhardsb

robaire

Angler
Jul 22, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
n/a
Right on Brother!
A memory the two of you will share forever.

I would have never thought to bring knee pads for fishing the big ones...👍

Have a Blessed week.

Robert

Old Blue

May 12, 2005
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
23 Blackman, Old Blue
You ARE living the dream!
And sound smart enough to smell the roses!
Take lots of pics - live and love well.

JWJS44

Jul 20, 2016
San Diego
Name
One More Cast
Boat
Cobia Center Console, Key West Center Console, Parker 2320
Yeah Aden! Came with the knee pads ready to battle! Good job Dad. Loved the read.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Great write up brother! Love the picts too. From frustration.... to "fulfillment"... on the same day. Good for him. Plus, good coaching always helps. Like you said. ... zero complaints.... Although you know he was "sore"... and tired. Ahhh... The energy of youth....lol. Congrats brother..... good memories for sure!

Be safe out there.

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
Great story. Congrats to Aden and you for making it happen. Looks like Aden is hooked for life.