jtj0026

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2006
Cerritos
Name
John
Boat
n/a
Which GPS(s) would be the best for an angler who fishes mostly on open party boats and charter boats but wants to record the exact locations where he catches fish for the future reference? Any experienced advice are appreciated.

Great if you can recommend a specific brand / model and pro & con.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

historic

Oct 29, 2003
3 Rivers
Name
Jack
Boat
2459 Trophy "Driftwood"
Which GPS(s) would be the best for an angler who fishes mostly on open party boats and charter boats but wants to record the exact locations where he catches fish for the future reference? Any experienced advice are appreciated.

Be advised that most skippers don't appreciate having thier spots poached by hand held gps units. You should ask first.

Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
Jan 28, 2009
SoCal and Victoria, BC
Name
Jeff
Boat
63 Nordhavn
For $10 you can get the Navionics app for your iphone (probably Android also) that will use the phone's gps and create waypoints, tracks, etc.

A bonus of this approach is that it is stealthy and they are less likely to soak you with the washdown hose for recording their fishing spots.

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
For $10 you can get the Navionics app for your iphone (probably Android also) that will use the phone's gps and create waypoints, tracks, etc.

A bonus of this approach is that it is stealthy and they are less likely to soak you with the washdown hose for recording their fishing spots.

I don't think the app will work unless your phone is a satellite phone..........there is no coverage usually when more than a couple of miles off shore.

Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
Jan 28, 2009
SoCal and Victoria, BC
Name
Jeff
Boat
63 Nordhavn
I don't think the app will work unless your phone is a satellite phone..........there is no coverage usually when more than a couple of miles off shore.

That's what I thought, but it does work offshore. It uses the internal GPS and doesn't need a cell connection to work. I have an iphone 4S and the Navionics app and I used it all the way from Vancouver to Alaska on a friend's boat and tracked the entire trip. There were areas where we didn't have a cell signal for days at a time and the app never missed a beat. The maps are stored on the phone so you have charts regardless of cell service.

The capability of that thing is ridiculously good. It even calculates boat speed based upon the GPS and was consistently the same number as the speed indicated on the boat electronics. I'm talking usually within a 10th of a knot, and never more than 2 10ths. Impressive.

Reactions: Fish Dreamer
Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC

Hahaha. Can anyone recommend how to piss off the captain and look like a tool? Time on the water And finding your own spots makes the fish taste better anyway

Reactions: historic
Upvote 0

flyinverted

If it floats, flys or fornicates, RENT IT.
  • Apr 24, 2012
    Fullerton, CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Trojan F32
    Unless you've specifically turned it off, smartphones will embed the Lat/Long along with other camera information with each photo taken. This is called EXIF data. It includes date, time, exposure setting, flash, ISO, shutter speed, etc.

If you don't have one of the free exif data viewer apps, you can upload your photo to exifdata.com and get the lat / long info.

This is how creeps have found kids. These kids post photos online and the creep looks at the EXIF data for an exact location, even an address can be mapped easily with the exif data. Take your kid's phone NOW and turn this off. Luckily FB, and other social media sites strip the EXIF data from photos when posted.

Reactions: rile-b-fishn
    Upvote 0

OIF VET

May 26, 2010
    North OC
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    I absolutely can not think of a better way to get on the bad side of a captain and crew than a hand held GPS. My best suggestion would be subscribe to fish dope and get on the water. Find your own spot. Look for life ie birds working boils etc etc. if you are in a private boat you don't want to fish with the fleet. As a private boater you have advantages over the fleet. You can get tighter to kelp line and you have the speed to move around. Take advantage of that .

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    Fish Dope info will more up to date were you caught fish today will change unless you fishing a high spot get a chart will give all the spots and ask the skip most are very good about telling you and giving info may not be all spot on but the more you fish the more you know have a good season

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
    Nov 18, 2008
    Placerville, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    19' Harbercraft
    That's what I thought, but it does work offshore. It uses the internal GPS and doesn't need a cell connection to work. I have an iphone 4S and the Navionics app and I used it all the way from Vancouver to Alaska on a friend's boat and tracked the entire trip. There were areas where we didn't have a cell signal for days at a time and the app never missed a beat. The maps are stored on the phone so you have charts regardless of cell service.

The capability of that thing is ridiculously good. It even calculates boat speed based upon the GPS and was consistently the same number as the speed indicated on the boat electronics. I'm talking usually within a 10th of a knot, and never more than 2 10ths. Impressive.

Thank you for the update/info!

Upvote 0

MoMo Fish

Jun 27, 2010
    Ventura County
    Name
    Brooklyn!
    I thought I heard it all till today. With all the drama and nonsense being posted. This is the cherry to top it off. You basically are asking to poach a captains spots that he depends on to make a living.

While your at it, why not ask the captain which position his wife likes it. Either way your fucking him over.

Spend the money on fish dope.

Upvote 0

stevefwolfe

Almost A Member
    May 19, 2008
    Westminster
    Name
    Wolf
    Boat
    yes I have one
    don,t be a tool!!! find your own spots. I have worked on a boat and if you are on a charter and the cap sees you with a gps enjoy fishing in the mud:Beat_Them

Upvote 0