GP Reaper build questions...

Chad D.

Oct 8, 2017
Leaburg, OR
Name
Chad
Boat
Hewescraft Sportsman 180
Okay folks, I’ve acquired a GP90 Reaper, and it will be built sometime this year. Got a few questions, as this is a new type of rod for me... Plans are to use it for wahoo and other iron-casting applications.

Intended reel is a Tranx 500, but this is t set in stone. Open to suggestions, as well...

Reel seat orientation? I’m thinking it should be better if the seat was upside down, so that the nuts are in front of the reel. I’d prefer to hold grip rather than the back end of the seat threads...

Grip lengths? I’m not a small man. 6’-1” and about 235#. Wingspan in the 74range. Curious where people in my size range like to locate a reel on these rods...

How about the fore grip? What length are people liking, and what material? I’m assuming Hypalon, as I’m not thinking of a deckhand.

Tempted to do another spiral wrap, but not a deal breaker.

appreciate any input before we finalize the recipe!

Reactions: fishin_kid

bullyo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
I don't build rods, but was told how to orientate the seat or where to place the reel. Place your elbow at the bottom of the blank and extend your hand up it. Where your palm sits is where you should be placing your reel/seat

B-BOYS

Sunny Days
Jun 23, 2016
Orange County
Name
Parry
Boat
The Big Ones
A professional rod wrapper will build it specifically to you and your needs. It’s like going to get a new suit. The Taylor will take measurements and Taylor it especially for you.

Chad D.

Oct 8, 2017
Leaburg, OR
Name
Chad
Boat
Hewescraft Sportsman 180
A professional rod wrapper will build it specifically to you and your needs. It’s like going to get a new suit. The Taylor will take measurements and Taylor it especially for you.

While this makes sense, I’m not entirely sure what questions I should be providing answers to. I’m 100 miles from the builder, and he will only be able to build what I ask for.
I drill down on it with him when we get closer to build time...

Just curious what others are doing typically... Or an idea of how they get built when factory-wrapped.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I’m still tweaking things after years and years of having rods built. I’ve come to realize that I like the reel to sit a little farther forward on the rod, so I’m probably going an inch or two longer than the elbow-to-grip rule. Easy to adjust with a deckhand style, but a bit more of a hassle to change on the fixed reel seat. That said, the reel seat is definitely the way to go! You may just find that the butt either needs an inch or so lopped off, or you’re going to want to have your builder “butt it up” after you’ve gotten a feel. Best case, you hit the sweet spot and you won’t want to change anything.
As far as the seat itself, I’d keep it light and go with the hooded Fuji style—not the ones with the godawful thick plastic. The Alps seats are great, but too bulky and heavy for your application. Especially with a Tranx. And I’d keep the conventional orientation because of where I grip the rod just in front of the reel when hooked up.

Reactions: fishin_kid

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
This is a factory CE900 Wahoo with alps reel seat. It is 20 3/16” from bottom of butt to top of reel seat. Good length for a jig stick imo, not too tall not too short. I have been building my bait sticks like this also.

8F08644D-CBB1-4CFA-95FC-1E67C8FA4A44.jpeg

2F58D4CE-85BD-4AF7-9DCA-4498E31E74B5.jpeg

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

Chad D.

Oct 8, 2017
Leaburg, OR
Name
Chad
Boat
Hewescraft Sportsman 180
Thanks for sharing the photos. That helps a ton for comparison to a factory wrapped. Looks like a 12” butt grip, so if I went to a 14” with the seat flipped around, it would put the reel in about the same spot. Maybe 3/4” forward.