Nalu Charters
Jul 18, 2007
Depoe Bay, OR
www.nalucharters.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Grady White Sailfish
I just have to say, does anybody else get fed up with internet experts on fishing?

Recently watching people argue the merits of something it was as if these guys were on the water all the time.

In reality, it was no boat, no boat, broken down boat, short range boat, new guy.

It's not that people can't say what works for them, but what gets me is coming off as an authority when they simply are not. I probably fish more each year than most, and I always try to say what works for me, and repetitively acknowledge that others know more, and have taught me many of the techniques I know.

I know, I know, don't worry about it..... but it makes me shake my head.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I hear ya Mike!!

I have been fishing pretty hard my whole life and hitting the ocean hard for the last 10-12 years, but it never cease to amaze me the conversations that a guy with one year on the salt as a passenger on someone elses boat three times will start telling you how stupid you are....

I learn more every year and love sharing information with others and I am open to learning.... Hell, I aks question sometimes I think I know the answer to, just so I can get a feeling of how others feel....

Kinda makes you step away from the keyboard sometimes... I really wish Oregon participation over here would ramp up a bit since I have been bannished from the other place....

Upvote 0

White Cloud

Licensed Charter Captain
    BD Writer
    Jun 2, 2008
    Aloha, Oregon USA
    www.luckyluckettfishing.com
    Name
    Captain White Cloud
    Boat
    Glacier Bay 2690, Rouge Marine Stalker 24' Guide Model, 16/54 Willie Drifter
    Kinda makes you step away from the keyboard sometimes... I really wish Oregon participation over here would ramp up a bit since I have been bannished from the other place....

Yo G..... You hit the nail on the head there.

Nalu, I hear ya.... I have read your posts for more than a few years and my take on you is you have forgot more than most people will ever know.... Your informed and up to date on the latest more than most and many personally owe you and a few more of the old dogs over there a great deal of appreciation for the tips & techniques over the years....

It never ceases to amaze me that some people should shut their pie holes and listen to the people who are trying to help them & give them good advice....

I like to think I have learned well over the years and that has made me a pretty decent fisherman....

As far as that other place over there, I just wish some of those "Old Good Dogs" would spend some time over here as well. I miss the banter from time to time. I had allot of fun over there and have met some life long friends but I will never kiss anyones ass to go back because when I was booted, it was over bullshit and I think some people get pleasure over their perception of authority over others.....

I like Jason's board over here because he will let you call a spade a spade.... and Its just fucking better anyway....

Upvote 0

Hale Nalu

Nalu Charters
    Jul 18, 2007
    Depoe Bay, OR
    www.nalucharters.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Grady White Sailfish
    Well, I'll tell you one thing.... It's not the "other place" vs anything else. Self proclaimed experts are everywhere.

And while I appreciate the kind words- I only consider myself as good as my last day fishing. Fishing is a constant learning process for everyone, no matter how long they have been at it. My success is directly related to people that taught me, continue to teach me, and some hard work learning some new things.

The best remedy for not getting frustrated reading people that fish a little but write a lot is to step away from the keyboard and you'll never see it. I do that more and more, but come back to see if there is anything interesting and find a lot of the same horse shit.

Upvote 0

bajadan2000

Dec 13, 2005
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Shamrock Predator, "Bay Dreamin'"
    There are so many ways to catch fish. Use the methods that give you the most pleasure... Finding the fish, then the proper presentation have so much more to do with catching fish than the gear and tackle...

One year soon, I am going to spend the entire year fishing for everything, both salt and poison water, using only a hook and night crawlers... Bet I still eat good that year, while having a ton of fun....

Upvote 0

White Cloud

Licensed Charter Captain
    BD Writer
    Jun 2, 2008
    Aloha, Oregon USA
    Name
    Captain White Cloud
    Boat
    I hear ya about being as good as the last trip.... Just when you think you got it all figured out, there is always that thing called humble pie....

I have been fortunate to learn from some very informed individuals who have passed things on like yourself and people should never take those things for granted. Just like life, fishing is a continuous learning opportunity.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Soooooooo what do you guys want to know?:D....I spent a few days in Oregon once:picknose:

Upvote 0

Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
    Nov 13, 2005
    Still in Oregon
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    3' Too Short
    I just have to say, does anybody else get fed up with internet experts on fishing?

Hey Mike, you are one of the "experts" that I tend to listen to. I wish my situation would alow me to fish more often.

Upvote 0

Hale Nalu

Nalu Charters
    Jul 18, 2007
    Depoe Bay, OR
    www.nalucharters.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Grady White Sailfish
    Lee- I was being a facetious about experts. There are plenty of real experts that provide a lot of information. I certainly don't consider myself an expert, but rather, fairly educated with reasonably large amount of experience.

There seem to be a lot more people that have little experience but tend to regurgitate something that they learned elsewhere as if they were an expert.

Upvote 0

Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
    Nov 13, 2005
    Still in Oregon
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    3' Too Short
    Lee- I was being a facetious about experts. There are plenty of real experts that provide a lot of information. I certainly don't consider myself an expert, but rather, fairly educated with reasonably large amount of experience.

There seem to be a lot more people that have little experience but tend to regurgitate something that they learned elsewhere as if they were an expert.

I still know that when you post/say something it's something you have observed on the water and consider I it when I do get out. And, like I posted elsewhere on the Internet today, fish will do what fish do. Most of my fishing knowledge was learned pre cancer/crushing and I really miss being able to fish weekly. I really enjoy the photos that my friends and people I know post.
    Keep posting your information.

Upvote 0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Thailand
    Name
    Noel
    Boat
    none and glad for it
    Fishing advice is one thing BUT the real frightening BULLSHIT is boat operation/handling and the lame shit that some.....TOO MANY...... state!

Gonna get someone killed or at the very least in deep shit someday.

As far as fishing is concerned Keta is one of the few people that I know of that really digs deep into ways to catch fish and he proves it by production. Known him for nearly 55 years and can say have spent massive amounts of time fishing with him.
    Gotta say that from the other place I can't help but get a great laugh in regards to how some comments such as "you are de man, fish god" :worship:and many other comments refering to certain folks there.

And why is it that Bananas are bad luck?????????????????? Use them as bait here and they work real good.:lux:

Upvote 0

Booja 1

Almost A Member
    Jun 26, 2008
    Northwest
    Name
    Les
    Boat
    large waders

Recently watching people argue the merits of something it was as if these guys were on the water all the time.

In reality, it was no boat, no boat, broken down boat, short range boat, new guy.

It's not that people can't say what works for them, but what gets me is coming off as an authority when they simply are not. I probably fish more each year than most, and I always try to say what works for me, and repetitively acknowledge that others know more, and have taught me many of the techniques I know.

I know, I know, don't worry about it..... but it makes me shake my head.

Mike Mike.....You stinkin know it all..:) Thought someone said you guys that use spinning gear and catch 40+ albies a trip are the experts.

No need to shake your head brah.....it'll always be this way. Just smile and read on, without pounding da keyboard....

Upvote 0

Northern

Official Carbon Credit seller
    Oct 17, 2007
    b
    Name
    a
    Boat
    68" livingston
    all I know is that targeting oversize sturgeon does no harm to the fishery

and johnnyboy wants to do a reach around with Butch on a '"sturgeon" guide
    boat

Upvote 0

White Cloud

Licensed Charter Captain
    BD Writer
    Jun 2, 2008
    Aloha, Oregon USA
    Name
    Captain White Cloud
    Boat
    I think if I read one more thread on the best way to rig a Brad Super Bait I'm going to fucking puke.

That there is some funny shit..... Someone has been obviously been taking notes somewhere.....:nutkick:

Upvote 0

Ibseeker

Runaway grunt
    Aug 18, 2009
    IB CA
    Name
    CJ
    Boat
    None
    It's also difficult to figure out who the experts really are as well as changes that seem to occur faster now with new technologies and better info sharing.

I don't have a boat, fish short range more but have done some long range and am definitely not an expert at anything. I ask questions, review the responses and try to understand the logic from my limited perspective.

Case in point: Read a thread from the East coast about using spinners for big bluefin, how it's much easier to throw a popper for distance, how fast they're killing the fish and challenges with the setups. Asked why it's not done on the West coast. Got a very good response from a fisherman that I believe deserves respect for his knowledge and experience. Everything he wrote made a lot of sense to me and I learned a bit about fish behavior. Fast forward 3 or 4 months and there's a thread about killing big yellowfin on spinners on a long range boat, pictures and all!
    Now, was the guy a poser...not as expert as I thought or did techniques, equipment and attitudes change?

There's a phenomenal amount of information that is being shared from a global aspect and this is still fairly new to all of us. How we accept that information and the value we assign it will have to change as well. Just like with mainstream media, if it can't be substantiated then it can't be considered valid.

I don't get any more frustrated with the self-proclaimed experts on forums than I do with the media and their "experts". It's just the price that we'll pay for the level of communication and information that we now have available.

If you want to get rich, develop a bullshit filter!

Upvote 0

Deck Ape

RTM
    Mar 20, 2008
    Viola Oregon
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    20' NW Jet
    I've been running my jet boat on the salt for 12 years and there are so many experts that say that a jet boat has no place on the salt, they list all the short comings of a jet boat on the salt and I would bet that not one of them have ever owned and run a jet boat. Not one has ever showed me a case where a jet boat got killed because of the bs that they say will happen. Every year I hear about boating accidents and mishaps on the salt and not one has ever been attributed to the mechanics of a jet boat. But the experts know better.

Upvote 0

Seefood Man

Mar 15, 2008
    WA
    Name
    mud
    Boat
    none
    Yep all the "experts" are posting on the Internet and all the dummies are out catching fish reporting back to their "expert" friends. :boobies:

PS gone fishing

Upvote 0

Keta

Ignorant Sheep Farmer
    Nov 13, 2005
    Still in Oregon
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    3' Too Short
    I've been running my jet boat on the salt for 12 years and there are so many experts that say that a jet boat has no place on the salt, they list all the short comings of a jet boat on the salt and I would bet that not one of them have ever owned and run a jet boat. Not one has ever showed me a case where a jet boat got killed because of the bs that they say will happen. Every year I hear about boating accidents and mishaps on the salt and not one has ever been attributed to the mechanics of a jet boat. But the experts know better.

I'm one of these, even though I have and will continue to fish with my friends that have pumps. There are real issues with pumps in the ocean, like sucking a trash bag, pot rope or kelp when crossing a bar, that have the potential to cause problems. Ask Hoggem about his experiance with a river boat in the ocean. Like open bow boats, I feel that we need to discuss safety issues no matter what your choice of propulsion is.

And, my opinion comes from many years of experiance on the water both fishing and working as well as 15 years with Ketchikan Volunteer Search and Rescue.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME

This is totally off topic, but I too am one of those who have made comments about jets on the ocean and I can tell you that you are 100% wrong in your assumption that: "I would bet that not one of them have ever owned and run a jet boat"

I started fishing jets over 20 years ago. I started in the rogue river years ago with a 1969 wood jet boat made for carying mail up and down the lower rogue river, then I graduated to a piece of shit aluminum, then a nice outboard JetCraft, then I moved to a 22' aluminum jet with and inboard 460.... I fished the JetCraft down in Gold beach and the inboard up here out of Depoe, Tillamook and Newport.....

There I have established I am an "Expert"...... Jets will work fine in the ocean, but they have issues period.

Unless you are such a jet Nazzi that you want to turn a blind eye and pretend they don't exist, so you can be a dumbshit expert that Mike is venting about... when someone simply looks in the face of rain and calls it sunshine it defies logic....

I can tell you first hand that on more occassion I sucked kelp into my pump and needed to shut down my motor, clear my grate and fire it back up, I was never in any terrible danger. When you are bottom fishing in front of Whale's cove and your motor has not power because kelp is covering the grate it is not good.... I have been pulling crab pots and had the same thing happen....

Next you'll try and feed me som bullshit about how pumps don't loose 25% of their horsepower....

Upvote 0

Hale Nalu

Nalu Charters
    Jul 18, 2007
    Depoe Bay, OR
    www.nalucharters.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Grady White Sailfish
    I think it IS on topic John. Most experienced boaters know that there is no one answer that fits everything. No one "RIGHT" way, although there may be substantially better ways.

Personally, I have no issue with a jet in the ocean. Have none at all. At the same time, I would not pretend to believe that the features and benefits of a prop versus a jet are not substantially better in most instances.

It's sort of like the dumb asses in another thread that believe the only way to bring tuna aboard is with a gaff. They spout off about how using a net is somehow because you aren't good with a gaff. Well, I've gaffed more fish, and am probably more accurate with a gaff than most. Thousands upon thousands of fish gaffed growing up working on charter boats. Back when the limit was 15 per person and we took 15 people out a day, you get plenty of experience. But I "learned" a trick about the best time to net a tuna, and how it could make me more productive, and since that time I net some of the tuna I catch each year. And so do a number of winners of the OTC including Tuna Time, G Loomis, and Seelicious. But I guess those guys don't know what they are doing either.

Upvote 0