skiff

penn25

Feb 8, 2012
Hawaii but grew up in Southern California
Name
Paul
Boat
Lucky Dog (retired)
For those that are or have spent thousands to acquire large quantities of Hostess products for resale at ridiculous prices IT"S NOT A DONE DEAL. I sure hope you like your Twinkies as you may be stuck with them. LMAO!

leadslinger

Ship of Fools
Dec 24, 2011
Cajon 619
Name
Adam
Boat
Mako 232 cc - Lead Slinger
Orange flavored cupcakes in the morning before heading out.

drseiler

Super-Model
Mar 19, 2006
Camp North-Star
Name
Hal Danish or Harry Tators
Boat
19' Mako
I have to say that this is one of the most Un-American things to happen in my lifetime. I have had a a hostess product almost everyday for 30 years. I am really not happy about this. As for the union fuck them. I'll bet all the workers lost jobs but the reps still have theirs and are telling them we are working for you. I know someone will take over and create the same product. I just hope those workers that wanted this are told to screw themselves when they line up for the new cupcake job.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
unions are parasitic entities that are sometimes willing to kill thhe host....

or in this case the hosttess

Crashmister

Jun 12, 2012
Fort Lauderdale Florida
Name
Pat Dirindin
Boat
BankShot (shopping)
Of course it's the union's. All they had to do was take a 50% pay and benefit cut.
Hostess Blames Union For Bankruptcy After Tripling CEO’s Pay

By Annie-Rose Strasser on Nov 16, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Today, Hostess Brands inc. — the company famed for its sickly sweet dessert snacks like Twinkies and Sno Balls — announced they’d be shuttering after more than eighty years of production.
But while headlines have been quick to blame unions for the downfall of the company there’s actually more to the story: While the company was filing for bankruptcy, for the second time, earlier this year, it actually tripled its CEO’s pay, and increased other executives’ compensation by as much as 80 percent.
At the time, creditors warned that the decision signaled an attempt to “sidestep” bankruptcy rules, potentially as a means for trying to keep the executive at a failing company. The Confectionery, Tobacco Workers & Grain Millers International Union pointed this out in their written reaction to the news that the business is closing:
BCTGM members are well aware that as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises. One such executive received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one taking his salary from $375,000 to $656,256.
Certainly, the company agreed to an out-sized pension debt, but the decision to pay executives more while scorning employee contracts during a bankruptcy reflects a lack of good managerial judgement.
It also follows a trend of rising CEO pay in times of economic difficulty. At the manufacturing company Caterpillar, for example, they froze workers’ pay while boosting their CEO’s pay to $17 million. And at Citigroup, CEO Vikram Pandit received $6.7 million for crashing his company, walking off with $260 million after the business lost 88 percent of its value.

Tues

Not my job...
Mar 17, 2008
Saluki
Name
Penis
Yes, labor is PART of the issue, but the sugar tariffs are equally to blame. Another reason Bimbo (Mexican company) wants to purchase the brand...

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Walter Cronkite is rolling in his grave. This is a lefty opinion website there are a bunch of righties too. These sites don't report the news so take it with a grain of salt. There are too many commentary/opinion media groups out there. If you get your news from Facebook or 80% of the places on the internet it is bias. The facts are hard to see. Do I believe that some high level executives would give them selves huge raises before an anticipated bankruptcy and try to blame it on their employees? Hell yes LOL These guys think they are as entitled as the poor do. If after all is said and done there is a Twinkie gap some hard working Americans will fill it. Or not :)

Of course it's the union's. All they had to do was take a 50% pay and benefit cut.
Hostess Blames Union For Bankruptcy After Tripling CEO’s Pay

By Annie-Rose Strasser on Nov 16, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Today, Hostess Brands inc. — the company famed for its sickly sweet dessert snacks like Twinkies and Sno Balls — announced they’d be shuttering after more than eighty years of production.
But while headlines have been quick to blame unions for the downfall of the company there’s actually more to the story: While the company was filing for bankruptcy, for the second time, earlier this year, it actually tripled its CEO’s pay, and increased other executives’ compensation by as much as 80 percent.
At the time, creditors warned that the decision signaled an attempt to “sidestep” bankruptcy rules, potentially as a means for trying to keep the executive at a failing company. The Confectionery, Tobacco Workers & Grain Millers International Union pointed this out in their written reaction to the news that the business is closing:
BCTGM members are well aware that as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises. One such executive received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one taking his salary from $375,000 to $656,256.
Certainly, the company agreed to an out-sized pension debt, but the decision to pay executives more while scorning employee contracts during a bankruptcy reflects a lack of good managerial judgement.
It also follows a trend of rising CEO pay in times of economic difficulty. At the manufacturing company Caterpillar, for example, they froze workers’ pay while boosting their CEO’s pay to $17 million. And at Citigroup, CEO Vikram Pandit received $6.7 million for crashing his company, walking off with $260 million after the business lost 88 percent of its value.

drseiler

Super-Model
Mar 19, 2006
Camp North-Star
Name
Hal Danish or Harry Tators
Boat
19' Mako
If I was a CEO and I knew that this was going to happen which I am sure they did way ahead of time (both sides). I would give myself that money also. I think it was going down long before this came about. I will say that unions are not what they once were. Take the food workers unions. (And yes this is close to my home front) but I still feel that it's insane that to scan food (not meat cutters) but scanners get payed close to 40 usd an hour and then triple time on holidays. I worked for a long, long time doing supermarket refrigeration and keeping 638 major stores (safeway, kroger,ralphs and albertsons) around the USA running and let me tell you it's a scam on why our milk is 5 buck a gal. So if the hostess company wants to blame the unions, then I am sure the unions had more to do with the closure than we know. I worked union for a long time and will never go bak to one. Now the iron workers union or trades like electrical and so on are a good thing in certain areas of the country but not all areas. In big market cities fine, in small town america the unioun scales kill any project due to cost. All I want is a chocodile dammit and as for Bimbo that product sucks unless your in mexico and thats all they have and your drunk, then they are great. The sad thing is a piece of an Americana staple has fallen due to money.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Not over
The strikes began after Hostess imposed a contract cutting workers' wages by 8 percent. The union said the contract also cut benefits by 27 percent to 32 percent.

Is there anyone who hasn't taken a pay cut since 05? Poor things. Stuffing cupcakes into a box must be back breaking work.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-57552335/hope-for-twinkies-as-hostess-union-go-to-mediation/

BK is the ONLY option to out of whack contracts when you don't have revenue to cover. I see SD City there someday. No money = no money.

Omarkayak

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Give up ho-ho's? Dang. Already gave up ho's and now this.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK