got spooled on bajo san miguel

tecateando

Jan 11, 2009
Ensenada, BC, MX
Name
Forrest
Boat
Parker 1801 CC, "La Mañanera"
The yellowtail were breezing all day today in nice sized schools of quality fish. They were very skittish, so I tried waiting for them rather than running them down. I also went down to 25# floro leader which definitely seemed to help.

Boated one nice 20# class fish and missed a number of strikes. Finally a serious fish bit my Tady 45 and stripped 200 yards of spectra in two runs. I turned the boat around and gave chase, cranking my drag up a couple clicks. Figured at the time with 20 yards of line on the reel I was going to loose it anyways. The second I added drag the fish snapped the leader. I figure it was probably foul hooked but definitely a nice fight anyways.

Finished the day with a couple more missed strikes hopping from flock to flock on the way back to the marina.

The water dropped significantly over the last couple of days, but has really cleaned up. Looks like an amazing season to come.

Upvote 0

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
Thanks for the report. Oh and fishing the jig, light line may help you gain distance on your cast but I don't think it matters much in getting bit.

Upvote 0

tecateando

Jan 11, 2009
Ensenada, BC, MX
Name
Forrest
Boat
Parker 1801 CC, "La Mañanera"
When your spool's low on line the drag gets tighter so it's def a big nono to ever tighten it then.

i definitely agree. i never touch the drag 99% of the time. when you see the bottom of the spool i figure its better to do what ever you can to slow it down before they hit the knot and stop though.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Yeah next time fish 40 pound though for any jig....the only thing 25 will do is make you lose good jigs.

Upvote 0

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
May 14, 2008
San Quintin BCN mex.
Name
Captain Juan SQ.
Boat
parker 23/20.slaptail.
thanks forest,nice report,and you´ve gotten some fine advice,dont forget to use it wen youre out next.

Upvote 0

Its 4 Reel

Nov 2, 2005
Ensenada Baja Mexico
www.its4reels.com
Name
Capt. Louie Prieto
Boat
23' Parker - It's 4 Reels!
Forrest it's time to chuck that east coast coffee grinder and stick it to the fish west coast style:git:.

Upvote 0

Latest posts