shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Aloha Captains,

Decided to head out yesterday Wednesday 25th May, had a guest Captain Russell on my boat with my partner Lance, Left WBH @ 0530, headed 90 degrees 24 miles absolutely nothing:(, got back to the pinnacle at around 1200 noon nothing:(, got to the 1000 inside of the pinnacle found a nice pile of birds caught a couple of rat Aku, well at least not a complete white wash day LOL. Finally in cell phone range my good Brother Cal calls me telling me his friend pick up one and lost one on the 1000 outside of Nanakuli, (In the back of my head the whole day up until this point I had a feeling the fish were in that area. by this time 1 pm and normally bite is heavier in the morning. Very determined to turn the day around told my crew we will fish the 1000-500 from WBH to power plant (one of my fav area;s) until sundown if needed. as luck would have it entered the "Alley" around 115pm at the 700fa in front of twin mountain long rigger comes slamming, down 130 screaming..fish on, 20 min later biggest one for the season in the boat:) Got super lucky I guess patience paid off. thanks to a great captain at the boat wash helping unload the fish!! Hope this season keeps up the push.

Fish Weighed 199.3 G&G Biggest one so far for the season.

Good luck to all the captains out there keep tight lines and loadem up!
Aloha Spens,

IMG_20160525_135210606.jpg IMG_20160525_134901246.jpg IMG_20160525_175220964.jpg

Upvote 0

MahiManiac

Nov 24, 2015
Leeward Oahu
Name
Bradly
Boat
26' Century Antigua 235
Spens,
You have great reports brotha. I'd like to shake your hand one day. I'm headed out tomorrow morning and I'm looking to slay my first ahi. Your reports coupled with other captains' mentoring, should help with success. Nice fish. Nice report. I'll report on Saturday if I do end up going.
Brad

Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Spens,
You have great reports brotha. I'd like to shake your hand one day. I'm headed out tomorrow morning and I'm looking to slay my first ahi. Your reports coupled with other captains' mentoring, should help with success. Nice fish. Nice report. I'll report on Saturday if I do end up going.
Brad
Thank you for all the Aloha Captain!!! Just getting lucky, you going loadem no problem!! by the way the fish puked up almost 2 lbs of Ama Ebi (red Shrimp) hope this helps:)

go getem captain I'm planning on heading out tomorrow for a short run to scout for the Hanapaa tourney I'm in on Sat. hope to see you out there call me on the radio anytime "Ohana H" or Spens

Go getem Cap.
Aloha Spens

Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Nice Fish, looks like you starting the season with a bang :Rambo_Throwing_Kniv:devil:
Aloha Captain, thank you for the aloha, got really lucky but looks like the season is going to good for all of us see you in the water go getem Captain!!

Aloha spens

Reactions: THBL
Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Congrats Spencer, Lance an Capt.Russel on your nice fish Aloha Olu & Cary
Whats up brother good to hear from you!! got lucky will be fishing the turney this Sat and pushing out tomorrow for a short scouting mission. Will let you guys know how I do and thank you again for all the aloha

Mahalo Spens

Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
That's what I'm talking about. Fat toads!
Cpt. Mike thank you for all the Aloha brother!!! planning on going tomorrow for a scouting mission before the tournament on Sat. Will let you guys know how it goes again thank you for all the aloha!!

Mahalo Spens

Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
Aloha Captains,

Decided to head out yesterday Wednesday 25th May, had a guest Captain Russell on my boat with my partner Lance, Left WBH @ 0530, headed 90 degrees 24 miles absolutely nothing:(, got back to the pinnacle at around 1200 noon nothing:(, got to the 1000 inside of the pinnacle found a nice pile of birds caught a couple of rat Aku, well at least not a complete white wash day LOL. Finally in cell phone range my good Brother Cal calls me telling me his friend pick up one and lost one on the 1000 outside of Nanakuli, (In the back of my head the whole day up until this point I had a feeling the fish were in that area. by this time 1 pm and normally bite is heavier in the morning. Very determined to turn the day around told my crew we will fish the 1000-500 from WBH to power plant (one of my fav area;s) until sundown if needed. as luck would have it entered the "Alley" around 115pm at the 700fa in front of twin mountain long rigger comes slamming, down 130 screaming..fish on, 20 min later biggest one for the season in the boat:) Got super lucky I guess patience paid off. thanks to a great captain at the boat wash helping unload the fish!! Hope this season keeps up the push.

Fish Weighed 199.3 G&G Biggest one so far for the season.

Good luck to all the captains out there keep tight lines and loadem up!
Aloha Spens,

View attachment 765059 View attachment 765060 View attachment 765061
Good going Spencer and crew!

Upvote 0

Hij

Almost A Member
Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Congrats on your monster Ahi!! Way to stick it out! Hope you get many more this season!

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Spens, Lance and Russell,
That is a tanker for sure, 20 minutes... you guys put a hurtin' on him fast kine for sure. Way To Go!!!

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2015
Name
John Johnson
Boat
32' regulator
20 mins with a 130? I still dont get this 130 thing that seems to only be here in hawaii? The guys in wicket tuna (and i know some of em) are only using 80s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Wow...199 lbs G&G is a monster! Nice catch!

No need for 80s, to my knowledge, has never posted a picture of his largest ahi caught on less than 80 lb test. Though, I may have missed it. If so, please repost it.

"wicket tuna"...haha. Which "wicket tuna" captains run 80s? No need for 80s should be able to provide a list of captains that conform to (or in this case, exceed) his line test limits. Go ahead and list those boat names and captains who run 80s for giant bluefin. My brother lives in Southborough, MA. He'll be glad to drive to Gloucester to interview fishermen and tackle shop owners to determine how your 80-lb line test brethren are doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Nice.

So, which of the boats featured in Wicked Tuna are using 80s? All of them? Your comment that "the guys in wicket tuna (and i know some of em) are only using 80s", implies that they're all doing it. If they're using 80-lb test, then that's the largest diameter 80-lb test I've ever seen. In addition, those would be the largest reels I've ever seen packed with 80-lb test line.

Don't read me wrong on this one. One of the most successful (quite possibly the most successful) recreational ahi fishermen on this website uses 80s. The biggest difference between he and you is that he doesn't feel the need to incessantly brag about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: No need for 80's
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2015
Name
John Johnson
Boat
32' regulator
I
Nice.

So, which of the boats featured in Wicked Tuna are using 80s? All of them? Your comment that "the guys in wicket tuna (and i know some of em) are only using 80s", implies that they're all doing it. If they're using 80-lb test, then that's the largest diameter 80-lb test I've ever seen. In addition, those would be the largest reels I've ever seen packed with 80-lb test line.

Don't read me wrong on this one. One of the most successful (quite possibly the most successful) recreational ahi fishermen on this website uses 80s. The biggest difference between he and you is that he doesn't feel the need to incessantly brag about it.

I dont use 80s. 50s and 30s and jig / spin reel. Hence my name.

Just cas they use 80s doesnt mean its only 80 pound test. You can spool a reel with what ever test you want. I put 80 pound on my 50s and 50 pound on my 30s

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
very lame to jump on someone's fish report w/ these kind of comments.... and very funny you call yourself 'no need for 80s' and run 80 on your 50s................ go fish the HIBT and run 50 on 50s if you are so proud of light tackle

as far as I'm concerned you are fishing '80'

give it a rest and stop hijacking fishing reports w/ all your black-out fishing pics..... getting old Son

to original post - NICE AHI!

tight lines,

Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Spens, Lance and Russell,
That is a tanker for sure, 20 minutes... you guys put a hurtin' on him fast kine for sure. Way To Go!!!

Cheers
Pat
Aloha Pat,

thank for the aloha brother, looks like the big ones are coming in sooner than expected looking like to be a great season!!

Aloha spens

Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
20 mins with a 130? I still dont get this 130 thing that seems to only be here in hawaii? The guys in wicket tuna (and i know some of em) are only using 80s.
Aloha Captain John,
I do have 80 Shimanos as well and they land some big fish too, it's just a thing great thing about america freedom of choice. Go loadem up captain!

Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Wow...199 lbs G&G is a monster! Nice catch!

No need for 80s, to my knowledge, has never posted a picture of his largest ahi caught on less than 80 lb test. Though, I may have missed it. If so, please repost it.

"wicket tuna"...haha. Which "wicket tuna" captains run 80s? No need for 80s should be able to provide a list of captains that conform to (or in this case, exceed) his line test limits. Go ahead and list those boat names and captains who run 80s for giant bluefin. My brother lives in Southborough, MA. He'll be glad to drive to Gloucester to interview fishermen and tackle shop owners to determine how your 80-lb line test brethren are doing.
Aloha Captain Todd,
Great to hear from you!!! thank you for all the aloha and loadem up this year hope to see you in the water!!

Aloha Spens

Upvote 0