South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
State record Mako. We rather eat it than let it waste to get measured. This thing put up a fight but we were ready for it. Broke off several leaders including wire leaders but we got it all back including the swim bait out of its stomach when I cleaned it. Over a hundred pounds, but less than two hundred, somewhere in the middle. 40 miles from WP, SW direction. It ate a tuna belly on a circle hook with 6’ wire leader.

-chris

866A01AD-0037-4E99-B8E4-16423BE48BA7.jpeg

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Where’s the BBQ gonna be? Way to keep at it!

Reactions: South Sounder

Salmon King

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Excellent catch! How did you kill it? I hear they are hard to dispatch and I don’t think I would want to have a live one in the boat with me.

ivane068

Professional hide and seek player..
May 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Ivan Esquivel
Boat
Parker 2520 Fin Reaper
Excellent catch! How did you kill it? I hear they are hard to dispatch and I don’t think I would want to have a live one in the boat with me.
I made the mistake of bringing a live 150# on board when I was a rookie fisherman. That thing chomped on anything it could get it’s teeth on. We looked like a bunch of chicks that saw a mouse climbing all over the deck to avoid getting bit...

Last edited:

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
Multiple gaffs, cut it’s gills in the water, brain spiked, then dragged for 10-15 minutes after being tail roped. It was dead dead before we even considered bringing it onboard.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
State record Mako. We rather eat it than let it waste to get measured. This thing put up a fight but we were ready for it. Broke off several leaders including wire leaders but we got it all back including the swim bait out of its stomach when I cleaned it. Over a hundred pounds, but less than two hundred, somewhere in the middle. 40 miles from WP, SW direction. It ate a tuna belly on a circle hook with 6’ wire leader.

-chris

View attachment 1201546
WOW, helluva a catch. Just curious on how you lose several leaders and still catch it? Did it bite multiple times after it broke the leaders? Would really love to see the table fare. Soak it in buttermilk? I hear threshers are "the veal cutlet" of sharks.

Man, I bet it was a helluva a scramble on the deck....great job...

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
I made the mistake of bringing a live 150# on board when I was a rookie fisherman. That thing chomped on anything it could get it’s teeth on. We looked like a bunch of chicks that saw a mouse climbing all over the deck to avoid getting bit...
It’s one angry fish that’s for sure!! It was plenty dead before I let it near my clients.

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
WOW, helluva a catch. Just curious on how you lose several leaders and still catch it? Did it bite multiple times after it broke the leaders? Would really love to see the table fare. Soak it in buttermilk? I hear threshers are "the veal cutlet" of sharks.

Multiple leaders was the result of this demon fishes teeth. Gill plate on a swim bait didn’t last long. Then we chummed it back and the wire leader got hit then broke off must have had a Knick in the line, then the last leader did the trick which had a tuna bellie on it. We didn’t give up. When I cut open its stomach it had every piece of chum in it that we threw over for 20 minutes.

No soaking in milk, this isn’t a dog fish. Makos have proper plumbing and the meat is super good.

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder

4548B3A4-D3AB-4618-AC41-1B914BAEEAB4.jpeg

YellowJet

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2018
Oak Harbor
Name
Tim
Boat
19’ Thunderjet

-chris

View attachment 1201546
That is freaking awesome!!! 💥

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Mako is on my short list for sure. I was hoping to do a little chumming and hunting for them this year but it hasn't worked out yet.

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
Update. I made a grilled mango, pineapple, mint, cilantro salsa, and cooked the Mako in rosemary and lemon olive oil. Was going to BBQ it this round but the monsoon kept me inside. Took it over to my parents house to spend some time with them. All I have to say is, my mom doesn’t eat fish, and she ate the whole Mako steak and wants to try it other ways.

F46FDD74-189F-44B8-B05E-535D51D021AA.jpeg

1CF854F1-576F-45C3-8FE7-CD5D2968400A.jpeg

Dragon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Thats GOOD Stuff!!! I've seen those bastards swim right up and bite the boat. The deckhand thought it would be "Funny" and he gaffed it and threw it in the boat...Dancing, Screaming, Bitches!!! Perfectly grown men. It was a 4'er but we got meat.

Nice Job.

Corey G

Boat ho extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2010
Tacoma, Wa USA
Name
Corey Guild
Boat
Gravy
Update. I made a grilled mango, pineapple, mint, cilantro salsa, and cooked the Mako in rosemary and lemon olive oil. Was going to BBQ it this round but the monsoon kept me inside. Took it over to my parents house to spend some time with them. All I have to say is, my mom doesn’t eat fish, and she ate the whole Mako steak and wants to try it other ways.

View attachment 1203755

View attachment 1203756
That looks incredible Chris!

kallitype

big liar
Jun 29, 2010
Vashon WA
Name
TER ROTH
Boat
LIvingston 14, Hobie Adventure kayak
Wow ---gotta get me one of those sometime! Looks delicious with the rosemary sprigs

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB