Got my new target species!

jimmyvogs

Jun 14, 2007
Boise, ID
Name
James
Boat
None :)
I moved to Idaho last august from southern California where I was fishing Tuna, Yellowtail, Dorado, and Sharks. I love offshore fishing and moving here I wasn't quite sure what to expect outside of great trout fishing. I have fished trout my whole life, but it doesn't get my blood pumping the same way that a drag peeling run from a Pelagic does. I've been looking for that same feeling ever since I moved here, and I've finally got it. This guy was tearing drag off my reel with 12lb test flouro leader and the drag TIGHT and he wasn't even a big one. The fact that this fish has swam 900 miles from the Oregon Coast to this little river just blows me away. I'm hooked. A Chrome addict. If anyone needs me, I'll be steelhead fishing.
DSC_0926.JPG

jimmyvogs

Jun 14, 2007
Boise, ID
Name
James
Boat
None :)
Tasted a lot more like trout than salmon, and I'm not a huge fan of the way trout tastes. CPR from now on, only because I don't want a kill a fish if I won't really enjoy eating it.

fishinguy1031

FISHINGUY1031
Apr 26, 2013
houston, tx, usa
Name
james gautreaux
Boat
none
Great job, I lived in So. Cal, San diego, and went to the mid-west also, but still miss the tuna runs, but nice pike are fun also.

20140622_080549.jpg

Omarkayak

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
That is one gorgeous fish! Doesn't look like lack of current was a problem haha.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Northeastfshman

Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
I moved to Idaho last august from southern California where I was fishing Tuna, Yellowtail, Dorado, and Sharks. I love offshore fishing and moving here I wasn't quite sure what to expect outside of great trout fishing. I have fished trout my whole life, but it doesn't get my blood pumping the same way that a drag peeling run from a Pelagic does. I've been looking for that same feeling ever since I moved here, and I've finally got it. This guy was tearing drag off my reel with 12lb test flouro leader and the drag TIGHT and he wasn't even a big one. The fact that this fish has swam 900 miles from the Oregon Coast to this little river just blows me away. I'm hooked. A Chrome addict. If anyone needs me, I'll be steelhead fishing.
View attachment 504472

Still see the black cloud over your head James :imdumb:.

More importantly...Do you still Love Fish Sticks?

:rofl:

Congrats man! That's a nice one. I did a ton of stealhead fishing on the Salmon River in upstate NY and I agree. Stealhead were the only freshwater fish that got my heart going like saltwater fishing.

Last edited:

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
what little river did you fish?