Got my first Tanker, how big is she?

Chad Skowron

Sep 9, 2014
Name
Chad Skowron
Boat
Catalina Eddy
But it's your fish, you can say its 60 if you want, who cares what others think.

When you catch "another" 60lber you'll know.

Nice work!
I l live by your rules, my 2 lb bass instantly turn into 6-8 lbers when my friends ask how big they are

MikeyLikesIt

did you say F I S H I N G ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I was gonna guess about 55#.

When I bought my boat, I went WSB hunting. Very first trip out, we got a toad....63#. I thought, man, this is easy!

......15 trips later, and we had never seen another one on deck. Appreciate what you got there! Congrats! :appl:

clevel

Captain in Learning
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
Launched out of Oceanside 6:30 on Sunday and headed south towards Carlsbad. After short run, I came across a bunch of life and mammals chasing bait. Even picked up a few marks in 80-100 feet, so I decided to make some bait and give it a shot. I started by by making 6 nice baits in only a few minutes and decided to look for a good place to send some lines down.
View attachment 1018333
Wind was light and current was flowing towards shore, I set lines down in 135 feet of water and within the first 15 mins, the 8 inch sardine I put out was getting picked up. After counting to 3 reels down to set the circle hook and was tight.

Upon driving hook deep, the beast took a long run and short from deep to the surface and back down. after two more lengthy runs, this leviathan emerged next to the boat. A quick gaff and I was left starring in amazement. Not only was this my first legal WSB ever, but it is the one I have been dreaming about and chasing for over 20 years...So stoked.

Now the hard part....what do you think this Tanker weighed? She pegged by 50 pound scale, so all I have to go on is measurements and a freezer full of fish. Here they are: 54 inches long x 32 inch girth... Do you think she is over 60?
As the emperor in the Last Samurai movie asked "tell me how it died" ...line weight, type of bait, dropper loop, ,Carolina rig, rod and reel? Awesome catch need to be memorialized!

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
Jun 5, 2011
Auburn,ca
Name
Todd
Boat
Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
My primary fishing buddy who goes with me 90% of the time could not make it so my wife came along for a ride and adds some humor to the moment. Enjoy and tight lines.

Fish of a lifetime for sure congrats, your wife gave me a good chuckle that was funny. I'd say upper 50s to 60lbs, a toad either way

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
My dream fish!
Very cool.

TunaSniffer

Aug 17, 2012
Orange County
Name
Brett
Boat
Chase N Tails
As the emperor in the Last Samurai movie asked "tell me how it died" ...line weight, type of bait, dropper loop, ,Carolina rig, rod and reel? Awesome catch need to be memorialized!
65 lb powerpro braid to 25 lb power pro mono to number 1 mustad bait hook with 1/2 oz egg sinker no floro or leader material.

Reactions: clevel

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
minimum 62....

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Not if the scale bottoms out LOL

Very well done on your first wsb. And on the first drop. Savor it as you got your long time wanted wsb in tanker size

Aged mature wsb have big heads and big gills. Also very full all the way to the tail, girth. With a wide tail. The head on mine was a block.

Mine bottomed out a 65lb scale in baja. Wish I had driven the fish to town or measured it.