Got my first Tanker, how big is she?

TunaSniffer

Aug 17, 2012
Orange County
Name
Brett
Boat
Chase N Tails
Launched out of Oceanside 6:30 on Sunday and headed south towards Carlsbad. After short run, I came across a bunch of life and mammals chasing bait. Even picked up a few marks in 80-100 feet, so I decided to make some bait and give it a shot. I started by by making 6 nice baits in only a few minutes and decided to look for a good place to send some lines down.
Tanker 4.14.19.jpg

Wind was light and current was flowing towards shore, I set lines down in 135 feet of water and within the first 15 mins, the 8 inch sardine I put out was getting picked up. After counting to 3 reels down to set the circle hook and was tight.

Upon driving hook deep, the beast took a long run and short from deep to the surface and back down. after two more lengthy runs, this leviathan emerged next to the boat. A quick gaff and I was left starring in amazement. Not only was this my first legal WSB ever, but it is the one I have been dreaming about and chasing for over 20 years...So stoked.

Now the hard part....what do you think this Tanker weighed? She pegged by 50 pound scale, so all I have to go on is measurements and a freezer full of fish. Here they are: 54 inches long x 32 inch girth... Do you think she is over 60?

Danny

Fish Doper
May 17, 2009
Torrance
Name
Danny
Boat
SS FAT GUY
Outstanding!!

Reactions: TunaSniffer

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
WOW!! Impressive catch. I have no experience with a cbass that big so couldn't say if it is 60 or more but anything over 50 is really impressive.

Reactions: TunaSniffer

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Before getting to the end...I was guessing 50-60lbs.

Pegging the scale can only means it's over 50. Could be 51.

But it's your fish, you can say its 60 if you want, who cares what others think.

When you catch "another" 60lber you'll know.

Nice work!

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
First, congrats. I just got in from soaking some baits for a ghost myself. Third trip (all only a few hours a piece) ghost hunting and I'm 0/3 for the season.

Second, a lot of times WSB over 40" start to be close to their length in weight which can go +/- 5#. I've seen short WSB weigh 60# and vice versa. It's just a close general rule.

Enjoy that meat, best in the ocean IMO.