sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
My wife went fishing with me today and caught the biggest local hatchery fish landed on my boat. I had assumed they were all 6-10lbs.
0D66CD3E-1BA9-43DA-9ACB-7E256214591A.jpeg

Tish

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
Damn that is a monster, nice job! Where were you fishing (marine area)?

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
Cleaned and bled it was 22lbs on my bathroom scale. I am calling it 25lbs, it will probably be 30 by next year. It bit a Coho Killer but the hootchie got more action although none of them made it into the net.

Solid 25 and some change. They need to rename that spoon. I don’t think I have ever caught a coho on one.

Upvote 0

Fish-a-palooza

I'd rather be fishing!
Jul 5, 2010
Port Susan WA
Name
Wayne
Boat
Seahawk II
Nice Fish!

Upvote 0

saltchuckmatt

Long time puget sound fisherman
Sep 21, 2014
Seattle
Name
matthew paulsen
Boat
19 ft. campion Etec lover!
Cleaned and bled it was 22lbs on my bathroom scale. I am calling it 25lbs, it will probably be 30 by next year. It bit a Coho Killer but the hootchie got more action although none of them made it into the net.
Yes...25, and just think if you would have lost it at the net it would have been a thirty pounder!

I think its time to start an over 20lber thread. Pictures of PS hogs only!

Excellent fish and what appears to be a happy wife!

Upvote 0

ShoreSling_r

Almost A Member
Jul 29, 2010
Seattle
Dandy fish there!

The coho killers do catch fish of course, but I personally dislike dragging around tiny shakers you can't even detect. And they are definitely magnets for tiny salmon. I personally find them a little too flimsy, bendable and breakable, also. The Wee Gibbs are virtually identical in shape and action but are a "wee" bit heavier and more durable. For chinook in Puget Sound (if not pounding the mud and sand at Midchannel) I prefer BIG spoons... but that's just me.

Reactions: Nosecrets
Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
Dandy fish there!

The coho killers do catch fish of course, but I personally dislike dragging around tiny shakers you can't even detect. And they are definitely magnets for tiny salmon. I personally find them a little too flimsy, bendable and breakable, also. The Wee Gibbs are virtually identical in shape and action but are a "wee" bit heavier and more durable. For chinook in Puget Sound (if not pounding the mud and sand at Midchannel) I prefer BIG spoons... but that's just me.

Ive been surprised how they produce on big fish but would agree they are light. Had a few snap in half after being hit so many times. But tried a heavier version with non comparable results. Definitely a name change to nookie nailer

NWGuy

Kid's smiles are the best!
Jul 31, 2009
Lake Tapps
Name
Bryan Grant
Boat
16', ancient, money pit
Nice fish! The wife looks very happy!

Upvote 0

jcarufo

May 26, 2008
Portland, Or but SoCal now for a year
Name
Jean Carufo
Boat
17' Boston Whaler: Tuna Maru
Ive been surprised how they produce on big fish but would agree they are light. Had a few snap in half after being hit so many times. But tried a heavier version with non comparable results. Definitely a name change to nookie nailer
I agree. We've been fishing them on the WCVI out of Ukie for the last couple of years for our Columbia Fall fish as they go by in July with great results. We stack two on a side and fish nothing else. Okay, about a dozen fish and they are toast, but..........We've also tried ALL the 'alternatives' and not had the same results. Nookie Nailer does sound like a possibility, but whatever you call it, it is a true 'Killer'. It also got bit with Springers in the mouth of the Willamette here in Portland. What's not to love.

Reactions: Duramax2500
Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    Is there something with that same Coho Killer shape just twice the size? I too pick up a lot of shakers with them, but they also accounted for a few nice coho.

Upvote 0

Tish

Almost A Member
    Jun 27, 2019
    Shoreline WA
    Name
    Grant
    Boat
    1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
    Is there something with that same Coho Killer shape just twice the size? I too pick up a lot of shakers with them, but they also accounted for a few nice coho.
    Gibbs Skinny G is similar-ish shape and action and is a bit bigger but not twice as big as a coho killer, maybe 33% bigger.

Edit: coho killer is about 2.9 inches, the skinny g is about 3.5

Reactions: BobberandWorms
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Just match the hatch, don't think I've seen big herring (or any sizable) for years in MA10/11. Shores of stone (taking away their eel-grass, spawning grounds), up North they are doing ALOT better......

Now is the time for the larger fish (or it used to be)...last week of July, first week of August. There will be some pickers 20+, good luck all..be safe...

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Oh, BTW, you didn't get lucky, you know what you're doing. Luck helps, but skill usually wins out....great job....

Reactions: Baby J
    Upvote 0