PENN

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Headed out of San Diego harbor at 6:00 am with a half a scoop of decent sardines, spent over an hour in the cluster waiting to get bait - what a mess! Was on my son's 21' Trophy, we decided to head towards the 425 and work our way back from there. At about 14 miles from the point heading south at full throttle we noticed a single fish boil about 20' to the side of us, so we pulled back the throttles hard and threw some bait. Immediately we're on with a couple of yellowfin, and even though we didn't have the capacity to chum much, that school stuck with us for 2 hours as we settled into a nice plunker bite. Every now and then they'd starting jumping out of the water for entertainment, and we'd hang another. We wound up with 11 YFT, all alone with no other boats molesting the school. Numbers were 21/22, we drifted over a mile with these fish. We never had a single boat approach us in that time, and we saw two other boats about a mile away stay on their drift for those 2 hours as well. Goes to show you can get away from the zoo and still kick ass. We nailed a dorado trolling by a paddy and yellow on bait there, never made it to the 425, then decided to run into the harbor to clean the fish as we were out of bait.

But before cutting, we decided to buy another 1/2 scoop of dines and drift for halibut in the harbor while cleaning the fish. That was a good decision, we got 5 flatties, with one keeper, and about 10 spotted bay bass. The tuna were absolutely jugged with half digested sardines, same size as our baits. All in all an incredibly fun day with my son and his buddy on the water, sure was nice to fight a tuna without 31 other lines around us to deal with!

YFT for Pablo.jpg

the boys.jpg

carnage1.jpg

foot.jpg

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Well done! You can't find a local market with as much fresh variety as you guys managed. Dang!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Oh man....the lack of ice in your kill bag brings sadness to my heart.
Please tell me you pulled the ice out for purposes of capturing photographic images.:)

Upvote 0

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Bill, for ice for the bag, we line the bottom with crushed, then throw frozen gallon bottles on the top, then zip up. That way the top stays cold as well, our catch yesterday was in amazing condition, even the dorado. Kill sacks are definitely worth the money.

Upvote 0