offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
When on a big fish on my January trip, enough line was pulled off of my Penn 50W that I could see some corrosion deep on the spool. When I got home, I stripped all of the spectra off and, sure enough, there was a spot the size of a quarter where the anodizing had failed and corrosion had started. I buffed it down smooth but that left bare aluminum - just asking for more trouble. A new 50W spool costs $150. The only place that I could find that does anodizing also wanted about $150. So, I went looking for a place that does Powder Coating. My local shop, that showed me some very nice samples of their work, admitted that they had never done a fishing reel spool. We talked it over and agreed that they would mask off the ends of the spool so as not to disturb the clearance of the spool in the frame nor the bearings in the spool and they did a very nice job for $30 (four coats of powder coat). I will have to monitor how much protection I have now from the elements but it looks nice and is glassy smooth. I could have chosen almost any color for the same price. I wanted to be sure to know which reel to keep an eye on.

Spool.jpg

Reactions: sierraazuel
Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Consider Cerakote. I can Cerakote an entire action of a long gun for $130. This is some form of ceramic coating that is out on extremely thin something like 1/1000". Google it.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
The powder coated spool looks great. Hope it holds up.

Upvote 0

timmyd3853

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
When on a big fish on my January trip, enough line was pulled off of my Penn 50W that I could see some corrosion deep on the spool. When I got home, I stripped all of the spectra off and, sure enough, there was a spot the size of a quarter where the anodizing had failed and corrosion had started. I buffed it down smooth but that left bare aluminum - just asking for more trouble. A new 50W spool costs $150. The only place that I could find that does anodizing also wanted about $150. So, I went looking for a place that does Powder Coating. My local shop, that showed me some very nice samples of their work, admitted that they had never done a fishing reel spool. We talked it over and agreed that they would mask off the ends of the spool so as not to disturb the clearance of the spool in the frame nor the bearings in the spool and they did a very nice job for $30 (four coats of powder coat). I will have to monitor how much protection I have now from the elements but it looks nice and is glassy smooth. I could have chosen almost any color for the same price. I wanted to be sure to know which reel to keep an eye on.

View attachment 577416
hey eric your part of the team hoo group arent ya? if so id like to check that out next jan on the trip

Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
It fits in the frame just fine because I had them tape off the edges of the spool and the ends of the spool. I will bring it on the Team Hoo trip next January (if I remember). It probably won't be on one of my tuna rods on that trip - I rotate the reels around - but I will try to bring the spool.

Reactions: timmyd3853
Upvote 0