Got a citation for "illegal take" inside the Footprint reserve.

Discussion in 'Jokes Forum' started by aquaholic, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Sgtsilbaugh

Sgtsilbaugh "Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    qajaq
    Ahhhhh, you guys never fail to dissapoint! Happy Thanksgiving fellas!

2. aquaholic

aquaholic Newbie

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Anderson 22
    The footprint reserve is an offshore square with no visible boundaries. I have an older GPS that doesn't have the newer closures on it. I add them in by storing the lat/longs and making a route which puts a line around it. Unfortunately I didn't have this closure plotted (do now).

This reserve is there only to protect rockfish. I never fish it so never felt the need to add it. If I want to fish rockfish there are places way closer to home. I have only fished it two seasons in my life. One of those was 17 years ago during the last El NiƱo that brought the pelagics up here in numbers(no closure then). These past few months were the other one. I will bet my house that most of the other people getting citations are in the same boat so to speak. There were 14ft aluminum lake boats out there. I guarantee they had never been there before. Tuna fever at its worst. Not making excuses but there really should have been a pelagics exception in that reserve. No reason not to. The last thing on your mind when trolling around using outriggers and spreader bars is the rockfish below you.

I do think this is part of the problem. The legal definition of take differes from the dfg definition. Someone posted earlier in this thread the definition that the officer gave me. I did bring that to the judges attention. He started flipping through pages and got a bit of a befuddled look on his face but then came out with his "this is the lowest fine I have ever seen" thing so I left it at that.

I probably should have asked them more about the probation and booking thing but since they had already given my son his "sentence" I think they wanted to be consistent. And it sounds like there are at least 9 other cases like this before me so there was precedent. I had already sat through 4 hours of domestic violence stuff, assault stuff, drug stuff (inc dude blowing up his house), and one guy who was going 120mph in a new car. Lucky for him the judge was a car guy and let him off pretty easily. Like I said before I knew I was in trouble when I had to explain trolling to him. I was hungry and pretty much just wanted to get out of there.

It is pretty amazing though at all the bail forfiture amounts for failure to appear. Some were small but a few were in the 50 and 100k ballpark. One guy didn't have to pay his 1k restitution charge because he had already paid 1.2 mill so they waived it. I guess I should feel lucky getting out of there as cheaply as I did.

3. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    You didn't have to victimize anyone...it is a pool of money for victims of crime. That is how the government works. Just like those who earn above average wages...they have to pay extra for health insurance, and that extra money helps pay for those who cannot afford insurance under obamacare.

4. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    I believe a lot of small businesses would go out of business, and a whole lot of folks would have their lives ruined.

5. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    " Not making excuses ". Really? Then just what are you doing when you state you were "only fishing for pelagics, wah, wah, wah." Sounds like an excuse to me. Get over it. You broke the law, you got caught, so man up.

6. aquaholic

aquaholic Newbie

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Anderson 22
    So you really think what I did deserves probation, fingerprinting and booking?

7. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    I find it ridiculous the fines for accidently drifting into an area are the same as intentionally fishing it.

EZYGOING likes this.
  8. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    I live on a golf corse, but i still hate the game. LOL

9. jim isbell

jim isbell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    Well I will say this: the law is for everyone--and anyone (not me for sure) but anyone can learn what they need to learn--if any one thing is "the law" then it IS the law. And it should not matter "who you are" if you are right, same as the converse, if you are wrong, it should not matter, also, who you are when you say it.
    I just read the true story of a high school drop out who took on the system--and won--cause he was right. THAT is the one thing I do like about the law

10. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    I fish Baja often. The officials there are much more reasonable. The Ferderales are much more polite than the Border Patrol, and the Fish and Game officials there don't USUALLY engage in this kinda of bull shit. What a bunch of assholes!

11. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    You think f and w is bad wait till you get a go round with the wood cops!

12. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    What are wood cops.?

13. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Cal created a new position for Forestry since the mj grows in N Cal. We don't have those problems here so they spend their time busting people gathering firewood without a permit. They can still check your license and tags and are hugely annoying as they will give you a shake down every time they see you.

The bullet proof vest and cheapo AR are pretty amusing though.

14. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Now you are arguing intent. Dfw wardens are not mind readers. They have no idea why you are fishing in a closed area. They just know that you are. He screwed up, he got fined. Taking it as far as booking and finger printing does seem to be taking it a bit far though.

15. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Could just see the judge and take your lumps
    But you post up here for an extra ration
    :indabutt:

16. Sly McFly

Sly McFly Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Sly McFly
    making these infractions a misdemeanor is a huge miscarriage of justice. I'm sure if it was a ticket the OP would pay up and never say a word about it except sorry I was in the wrong. Having a misdemeanor arrest (which is what a book and release is) can hugely affect your life.

Thank you for posting as a reminder to all the rest of us to know where the MLPAs are! A misdemeanor would f me up good (lose my SENTRI perhaps even my job for sure I'd me at least suspended several days).

s//m_cinco and Blackfish like this.
  17. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    If they want to write a ticket for everything, as in no warning, there will be a serious trust issue with no cooperation by anyone. What happened when they wrote a ticket for every illegal alien driving without a license and impounded their cars. Zero cooperation from the public. If that's what they want so be it. Just because you CAN write a ticket doesn't mean you should. I know some real stand up guys that they nailed on bullshit technicalities that will NEVER cooperate with them ever again. Based on that crap, neither will I. My standard response now often includes, let me see your warrant. Can I look in your vehicle, NO! Have you seen anything? NO! The simple answer will be NO. Can you please take the f and w survey at the ramp? FUCK NO, get away from my boat please.

They want people to turn in tags and volunteer information about poachers,etc all the while using the same people as an additional source of revenue with bullshit tickets? Ha. That is a recipe for disaster. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand poachers but if someone shoots a spike on accident I doubt I'll be picking up the phone. If I see someone keeping a BSB and I call it in only to get busted too because I drifted into a MLPA waiting for them to get there. That's just wrong and they need to remember who pays their salaries. There is no need for a police state.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Sgtsilbaugh likes this.
  18. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    The mpa's have been in existence for how many years now? How many warnings should they issue? By the OP's own words multiple boats were cited that day. At what point do they start fining? The 5th boat, the 10th boat? At some point it is people just giving the middle finger to the rules. Very few people like the mpa's, but they are the law. I guess if you only fish the area once in a while and it was accidental because your blood was boiling as you were chasing fish that makes it ok.

19. Sgtsilbaugh

Sgtsilbaugh "Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    qajaq
    Couldn't have said it better. The reason I'm educating myself to fight a traffic ticket right now. My wife got totalled and nearly died and 9 months later I got t-boned by someone who blew a red light, and in both cases it was illegals, no license, no insurance, nothing. Guess what happened to them? Nada! In my accident I'm basically screaming at the cops saying"aren't you gonna do something" and they're like, "we're going to have someone investigate it". But I get pulled over for old tags and they're like, "we can take your car and take you to jail" . F that! I'm fighting EVERY TICKET from now on. Not that I haven't got but like 2 in the last 16 years, but still. I now have ZERO respect for this crap. Thought I was fighting for freedom in the Marines, I guessed wrong.

s//m_cinco likes this.
  20. Aggro

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Wow, the high tech Mexicans are kicking our ass. They have this really cool system called a camera where they take a picture of your boat and log your CF numbers. Wow. They tell you to leave and if caught again you will be in trouble. But no, we shove the max up our ass here because "we can". I smell a govt job that needs to maintain a pension system. Yes, it's really that simple. If a worker can't tell the difference between trolling for topwater fish and deep water for rockfish maybe they shouldn't have the job.

s//m_cinco likes this.