fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I just got back from a week at Cabo but I wanted to try fishing out of the "new" marina out of San Jose del Cabo.......I got ahold of Eric who runs Gordo Banks Pangas and arranged to go out on the Killer II a 26' super panga......it's a little tricky getting to the marina the first time so I suggest you go there the first time in day light.

Well my wife and I arrived at the marina about 5:45 am...it was about a 35 minute drive from our place in Cabo. Eric and the panga skipper Chamie were waiting but we had to wait till 6 am for the folks selling the fishing licenses to show up they cost $13 per person.....we bought two large bags of fresh frozen sardinas for bait and chum and we were on our way by 6:15 it was a 40 minute run out to the outer Gordo, we started chumming and immediately there were dozens of skip jack and 2# yellowfin tunas eating every sardina we threw in...the first 4 or 5 hook baits resulted in the small skippies or a small YFT we released them ...I was fishing with a B2 Accurate 870 and B2 665.....both with 5 foot topshots of 40# Seaguar Flouro Carbon leader and 65# spectra backing...we just hooked two sardinas on a 1/0 circle hook and dropped them down.....

Suddenly the small fish disappeared.....and both rods got picked up by good fish.....I got my fish in pretty quickly it was a beautiful 50# yellowfin.....my wife was struggling with her fish on the 870 and told me she had had enough....I knew as soon as I got her rod that it was a bigger fish....a hour later Chamie gaffed a 80# model.....we then motored back up to the high spot and immediately I hooked up again and it was another 50# fish....my wife wanted no part of pulling on tuna she likes dorado and roosterfish...I caught one more 50 pounder and told Chamie to head for the barn and we were back at the marina by 11:45 AM......I fought fish for a little over 3 straight hours and was bushed........they were a blast on 40# gear.

Gordo Banks Panga is a very nice operation .......beautiful marina and facilities.

If you want to catch a great grade tuna go to the Gordo Banks now......

dweston

Well-Known "Member"
May 12, 2008
vista Ca. USA
Name
Duane
Boat
yours
Awesome, glad you were able to find the tuna, and yes the little marina with all the fish cleaning stations is pretty cool. Any pics.?

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
Great report Fishy, gives a glimpse to other options, in case one's getting cabin fever waiting for our bite to start.
Regards