GoPro Hero 8 Black Accessories For Day & Night Fishing!

Scuba Chris

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
How Important Are These Accessories For Shooting Videos & Pictures?

I finally got my GoPro settings correct. Took me weeks to figure this out. Now i'm equipped with the proper accessories to shoot videos & pictures day or night. I'm still fine tuning my camera settings but will share the GoPro accessories that i found works well for my Hero 8 Black. Again this was fine tuned from years of using many different action cameras day & night in rain & sun.

In a few months GoPro will announce the GoPro Hero 9. Expect cheaper prices on the current 8 from all retailers. My main concern was the lens not being interchangeable like the GoPro7. So i used tempered glass covering & external housings. I also got a GoPro Roll Cage for day usage. Was cheaper on eBay then the GoPro site. Night filming i got an ABS plastic cage because i needed the cold shoe for my LED video light. Also it was way lighter then the aluminum cage.

I hope some of you who film their hunting & fishing outdoor adventures will find my choices valuable.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
My vote (for adding HDMI out, 3.5mm audio in, cold shoe for Display Mod LCD monitor - the builtin shotgun mic in this mod isn't much better than the original, I think):

GoPro Hero 8 Media Mod
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 4.23.54 PM.png

there are lots of settings video tutorials on youtube - what are you shooting - what settings - how are you editing - what is your destination format

Last edited:
Reactions: Scuba Chris

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
are you shooting your stills with this camera in RAW

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I'm still figuring how to get an acceptable mic into that 3.5mm audio jack - the I-XLR adapter may also be compatible with Apple iPhone iPad Lightening connector... only way I would bite at that price

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 4.54.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 4.54.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 5.03.45 PM.png

Last edited:

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
My vote (for adding HDMI out, 3.5mm audio in, cold shoe for Display Mod LCD monitor - the builtin shotgun mic in this mod isn't much better than the original, I think):

GoPro Hero 8 Media Mod
View attachment 1196094

there are lots of settings video tutorials on youtube - what are you shooting - what settings - how are you editing - what is your destination format
I looked at the Media Mod & contacted the seller. He said it isn't water proof. Otherwise i'd have purchased it.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Scuba Chris do you use a GoPro Smart Remote by chance?

I turn new gopro8 off and come back to two dead freshly-charged batteries (remote and cam) - the wifi logo on my new smart remote screen flashes on-off the whole time, hero8 looks like it's powered off

can't seem to find a simple tutorial on how to use the remote with the 8

COSTCO CHANGED PRICE
I saw in the store today Costco changed their price to $339.99 for the same Gopro8 bundle

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
You're correct. I saw that this morning. I just got my remote yesterday & it came with no instructions. I'll check into this.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Here's one off GP site, there are many more:

Above harps on using USB wall charger that outputs 5V and 1A, not over charging (but that's BS, today's tech should manage the correct draw and not overcharge)

GoPro is saying on Amazon Q&A we should get 5hrs off the remote... so I am hopeful - the remote is very useful - you know it's water resistant but doesn't work underwater, right?

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
Hmmm... GP9 Vs Osmo Action.

Max capability/quality per $$$? Do i really need all the bells 'n whistles of the GP9?

what to do, what to do...

... then there's the editing program(s). Ugh.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I've always chosen what works NOW,

but now I am wondering if the 8 even works with these crap camera and smart remote battery issues and no FAQ on the GP site (that I could find to speed my set up)

MORE PROBLEMS OUT OF THE BOX I'm discovering (complaints about GoPro HERO 8):

the wobble in the camera mount adapters - with a lens this wide I'm not worried about the camera shake - but the parts banging around in the audio I can see a problem in the audio, in post

POST EDIT: I solved the mount wobble I was getting - I wasn't seating the sliding mount properly - the clue was the rubber piece was not pushing down flush - when I strong armed sliding in the mount, the rubber cap seated proper and the wobble fixed itself

I just received a BlueRigger Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable (15 Feet, 4K 60Hz Ultra HD, Black) to attach to my new MEDIA MOD and my 55" LG 4K OLED TV

All 4 HDMI ports cannot detect the HDMI signal from the cable, but the GoPro8 is reporting the cable is connected like it's working on the GP side

POST EDIT: This black screen issue w/ HDMI turned out to be bad gopro hardware - more info posted below w/ link

I recall 15' HDMI cable length should not be an issue, but who knows at this point

Last edited:

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
I wasn't going to consider the GP9, but it has HORIZON CONTROL! Now if i sold my GP8 w/all accessories i might be able to get the GP9 w/maybe $60 out of pocket? Hmmmmm,,,

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I just returned my new GoPro 8 to Costco, my Smart Remote and GP8 Media Mod to Best Buy, my micro HDMI to HDMI cable and GP8 battery charger to Amazon

Best Buy has the GoPro 9 in stock ($449 I think) body, battery, 32gb card

Deciding if I want to wait for the price to drop on Black Friday or just do it now - but the 9 is in my future (biggest selling points are the front LED screen and removable lens)

any thoughts?

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
BTW: I had numerous problems with my new stuff - it didn't work and I gave up, specifically:

I couldn't get my new GoPro Smart Remote to connect to my GoPro 8, despite 2 firmware camera updates, and three camera factory resets, GoPro tech said it was defective and return it

my GP8 would not connect to my iPad GoPro.app despite all the resets and updates and troubleshooting (I never got to trying it on my iPhone)

a new microHDMI cable (within spec) wouldn't connect playback to my 4K TV HDMI though it did work on my 1920x1080 commuter HDMI monitor

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Here is the current bundle deal (I just ordered, they said it would ship Friday or Monday), they said the bundle comes with two batteries, not so sure about that their pic shows only one battery:

bd bundle.png

bdGP9.png

Reactions: dalurker

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Re PM: >the 5G make you have the ability to do "other things". it's not a matter of the 5G part, but what the 5G enables you to do...

I'm not so sure the GoPro 9 is rated 5G (isn't that a mobile cellular standard) - where did you see that spec in GoPro technical info

I recall GP9 WIFI is 2.4 or 5 GHz - is that what you are referring to

if GoPro 9 was 5G compliant hardware, I think it would be a massive point in their advertisements - but I am not sure how 5G relates to wi-fi

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
Re PM: >the 5G make you have the ability to do "other things". it's not a matter of the 5G part, but what the 5G enables you to do...

I'm not so sure the GoPro 9 is rated 5G (isn't that a mobile cellular standard) - where did you see that spec in GoPro technical info

I recall GP9 WIFI is 2.4 or 5 GHz - is that what you are referring to

if GoPro 9 was 5G compliant hardware, I think it would be a massive point in their advertisements - but I am not sure how 5G relates to wi-fi
oopsie... 5K.
ma bad!
i'm reading this about th 5K feature

1600975332777.png

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
oopsie... 5K...
yep 5K's a video resolution (pixel dimensions):

5K: 5120×2880
4K: 3840×2160 (UHD)
2.7K: 2704x1520
2K: 1920x1080 (1080p HD bluray) and 1280x720 (720p)
408p: Standard Definition SD is 640x36, 640x480, 720x480, 720x576

BUT ACTUALLY
zooming into a 5K frame (as long as you don't go beyond "actual pixels") - effectively gives you a zoom lens with no loss in pixel quality - you just need the sharpness (in focus and no camera movement in your original capture) to pull it off...

the benefit to the larger formats are the editor can zoom in and pan - export to lower resolution formats w/ no loss

that and larger still photos to run through a RAW workflow...

Last edited:

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
can't wait to see your upcoming creation.

i'm definitely gonna be hounding you for your knowledge and experience!

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I don't mind sharing knowledge any time - but producing pro-bono movies is like in Han's fast and furious movie quote: "What's the point?" (of spending all that time for stuff, entertainment specifically, that don't pay...)

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
Here is the current bundle deal (I just ordered, they said it would ship Friday or Monday), they said the bundle comes with two batteries, not so sure about that their pic shows only one battery:

View attachment 1203895

View attachment 1203896
Best things about the 9 is the horizon hold, larger sized battery & changeable lenses. Again. Bad things? High price & no real accessories available to seriously use as of yet.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
GOPRO HERO 9 REVIEW:

GoPro 9 users will most likely see no real-world improvement in battery life over the GoPro 8 (I suspect it may even be worse if the newer features are used)

because the GP9 larger battery serves the front LED and higher battery needs of the system and hardware upgrades: read/write the larger files, process the horizontal hold and stabilization features, etc

for me, the greatest motivator for upgrading to the GoPro9 was the GP9's changeable lens versus the fixed lens on the GoPro8 (what were they thinking with that) - every time I touched the GP8 I got fingerprints on the lens and found myself compulsively wiping the lens clean with my shirt - then what to do when it gets damaged

and the 5K resolution for stills (big deal here to be able to take 5K RAW photographs...)

not to mention my buggy (or defective) experience with a brand new GoPro 8 system - I have very little patience for having to dink around with a brand new "Smart Remote" (that drains my batteries in 2 hours) or trying unsuccessfully to pair the camera with my iPad or figuring out why an in-spec HDMI cable doesn't plug & play 4K clips on a newer 4K OLED TV

I likely had bad GoPro 8 hardware ... but if the GP8 has these kinds bug issues, I hope the GP9 actually works as advertised before it is abandoned for the GoPro HERO 10

PS

I am not complaining about the GoPro so much (bugs and bad hardware happen) - Amazon and BestBuy accepted my GoPro8 returns and refunded full purchase price with no questions asked

further: GoPro tech support was easy to contact both on on-line chats and on the phone - I received good support from the several I talked to

even further than that: I am buying into the GoPro HERO 9 system with my eyes wide open - it is one amazing action camera I can hardly wait to learn how to use it...

Last edited:

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
GOPRO HERO 9 REVIEW:

GoPro 9 users will most likely see no real-world improvement in battery life over the GoPro 8 (I suspect it may even be worse if the newer features are used)

because the GP9 larger battery serves the front LED and higher battery needs of the system and hardware upgrades: read/write the larger files, process the horizontal hold and stabilization features, etc

for me, the greatest motivator for upgrading to the GoPro9 was the GP9's changeable lens versus the fixed lens on the GoPro8 (what were they thinking with that) - every time I touched the GP8 I got fingerprints on the lens and found myself compulsively wiping the lens clean with my shirt - then what to do when it gets damaged

and the 5K resolution for stills (big deal here to be able to take 5K RAW photographs...)

not to mention my buggy (or defective) experience with a brand new GoPro 8 system - I have very little patience for having to dink around with a brand new "Smart Remote" (that drains my batteries in 2 hours) or trying unsuccessfully to pair the camera with my iPad or figuring out why an in-spec HDMI cable doesn't plug & play 4K clips on a newer 4K OLED TV

I likely had bad GoPro 8 hardware ... but if the GP8 has these kinds bug issues, I hope the GP9 actually works as advertised before it is abandoned for the GoPro HERO 10

PS

I am not complaining about the GoPro so much (bugs and bad hardware happen) - Amazon and BestBuy accepted my GoPro8 returns and refunded full purchase price with no questions asked

further: GoPro tech support was easy to contact both on on-line chats and on the phone - I received good support from the several I talked to

even further than that: I am buying into the GoPro HERO 9 system with my eyes wide open - it is one amazing action camera I can hardly wait to learn how to use it...

I was thinking about returning mine, but decided not too. I have all the "add-ons" needed to shoot on location. Currently very few accessories are available for the 9. Like you i like the screw-on lens. Why did they EVER stray from a winning configuration is beyond me.

What i love is the horizon hold. Also shooting in 5K. I'll eventually will get the 9 as soon as certain accessories become available. But will keep both units. Good to have a remote unit since i have a remote controller.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
...eventually will get the 9 as soon as certain accessories become available...
yes, I can afford to bleed as it matures, still don't have the editing figured out ... I just started out with a blank slate on GoPro gear

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
yes, I can afford to bleed as it matures, still don't have the editing figured out ... I just started out with a blank slate on GoPro gear
For the money you can't beat the 5. Maybe get that used on eBay & learn on that. When you feel it's time sell it off on eBay & put those funds towards the 9. The 9 can shoot in 5K, good low light shooting, went back to a screw-on lens and has HORIZON CONTROL!

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Last edited: