GoPro: Advise Me!

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rodless_Jim, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I am looking to get a GoPro camera, and specifically to capture video while fishing. Except that, aside from seeing the resulting videos posted online, I can't seem to get my head around how these things function, or which model is best suited for my purposes.

I understand that the camera takes video like any other video camera or cell phone, and stores it on a local disk...right? How do you get that raw footage from the camera to the desktop, and what tools do you use to edit it? I am about three generations behind the curve here...a product of more than eight years living in Mexico.

Are there specific tips or tricks I need to know? Most of all, which model will work best catching what may be fairly long fights against (hopefully!) big tuna? I tried to get the skinny on the Hero4 Black...supposedly one of the better/newer models...but my Spanish wasn't up to the sales pitch. All I took from it was that a 12-minute video would fill the memory disk, and that isn't long enough. But I'm guessing that's at the highest possible definition, and maybe there are settings that provide extreme clarity while using smaller quantities of data?

And what is the whole issue with mounts?

I know there are folks here who use the GoPros. Help a brother out, huh?

2. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I have one though I'm not real tech savvy. From my research the Black is the professional model, the Silver(the one I have) is for regular use. You buy the storage disk so you buy as big as you need. You transfer to your computer by disk, wire, or wirelessly. For mounts you can buy GoPro stuff. I bought an aftermarket package on Amazon that included multiple different mounting options.

3. BloodyL

BloodyL Throwing everything I got

Name:
    Mick
    Boat:
    The Beach
    go pro has its own simple software you can down load or get a nice editing package from the expensive guy's(adobe photo shop- Cannon Etc)

4. jmeddy1

jmeddy1 fishsticks

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    the one that floats
    PM sent

5. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    I have the silver and two mounts. For hunting and fishing I use the head mount, for clubbing and cocktail parties I use the the toe mount.:oinker:

6. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    OK, I admit it. That was pretty darned funny. But I have to also say, the pig emoji is pretty apt too.

7. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Go Pro records video/audio files to an SD card; you can remove the card and plug it into a card reader and transfer the files to your computer, or plug the entire camera in via USB and transfer the files that way.

If you get the head-mount, your video only has the one angle, your POV. Generally pretty boring. If you get 2 cameras and can convince someone else to hand hold it on you while you fight fish, at least you have something to cut to and in editing, reduce the edited sequence to 2 minutes or less. Don't use cheesy music!

8. bobby7321

bobby7321 Newbie

Name:
    Bobby
    Boat:
    10' jon boat
    The go pro uses a micro SD card. So once the video is recorded you can either hook the camera directly to the computer via USB or you can plug the microSD card right into your computer (via an adapter). You can buy a larger microSD card and therefore give yourself more room to record more (longer videos at a higher resolution)
    with a 32GB card, you can record over 4 hours of 1080 HD footage. Battery lasts about 2.5 hours, so you'll run out of battery before recording space.

Now as for how to edit the video afterwards... GoPro has its own editing software, or you could use just about any other video editing software out there.

I think the basics of the different models are the resolution, frame rates, and FOV.
    Resolution meaning like 4k (new fancy stuff), 1080p (standard High Definition, etc...). In your case 1080 is probably plenty.

Frame rates.. Only really matters is if you want to shoot something at a high frame rate to later turn it into nice smooth slow motion. In your case, you probably wont need any of the higher frame rates offered in the higher models.
    FOV (field of view). This is pretty important to understand. GoPros shoot WIDE (think zoomed out). its how you can see a lot in the frame. Which is great for some things, horrible for others. Like its really useless when say hunting. If there is a deer 50 yards away, on your gopro you'll barely be able to see it. You don't see much of anything close up with a go pro. Anyways... The basic go pro aka the Hero model has only "Ultra Wide" which is probably ok for what you want. Its the standard FOV you see when looking at GoPro videos. the FOV options are Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow FOV. The narrower the FOV the more "zoomed in" you are. Of course if you have it strapped to your chest or head you have to balance whether you want to get everything in the frame and not much detail, or vice versa.

[​IMG]

Here is a side by side of all the models.

https://shop.gopro.com/compare?category=cameras

In my opinion, you are probably fine with the HERO model. Its the cheapest, it will have Wide FOV and can record in 1080. If you get real fancy later on then you can buy one with more features and keep the HERO as a backup or 2nd angle. The higher models are going to give you features that you will likely not use. Especially if you aren't going to get fancy with the editing or watching the footage on a 4k TV.

9. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    I bought two Hero Blacks only because I figured I'd run them HD and can always edit the video down if I don't need that much info (can't go the other way). Tips given above seem pretty on the money. I'd add to get yourself at least one extra battery and possibly an extra SD card. I bought (3) 64GB cards and have two extra batteries in the dual battery charger which plugs into 12v outlet on the boat. The best advice I can give you is for your "selfie stick". If you are fishing with that in Salt water get the $50 deal. It seems expensive but will out last all the cheaper ones by a margin of 10:1. It will also cause you much less frustration when trying to deploy/extend and is really the best gadget IMHO to give you the shots you will edit to keep, not edit out. The one I have and think is great is a UK Pro but I've seen Wryd's stick and that seems fairly robust too.

10. Relacson

Relacson @relacson22

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    yours
    Another thing to make sure of, is that your computer can handle everything involved with a GoPro.
    I got one without checking and have lots of footage that I don't want to upload because my laptop can't handle it.

11. migelito

migelito Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Indy
    You can also get a micro hdmi cable and watch it directly from your camera to you hd tv. Go pro app will let you download footage to your tablet. Or make adjustments with a smart phone.

12. hardrider5

hardrider5 Master

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    I bought one, learned how to upload and edit but my problem is when Im bit the last thing Im thinking about is the GOPro. I never turn it on when we get bit. Kind of a waste for what I thought I would do with it.

13. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    Mount it at your helm and show someone how to push the two buttons then when bit say "Put on the GoPro and get the gaff please"

14. bobsled

bobsled Consumer

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    N/A
    Don't forget to mention besides the free gopro editing software there is also a free cell phone app that allows you to control the camera, frame your shots, and view back your videos.

As far as mounts go there are all kinds on amazon or ebay.

15. migelito

migelito Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Indy