ebnash

Almost A Member
Apr 1, 2008
San Jose, CA
Name
Erik Nash
Boat
None
I know this topic comes up every once in a while, but new ideas as well as old are always good.

I will be on the Excel at the end of this month and wanted to bring some stuff for the crew. Lets throw out a bunch of ideas and if you know of items specifically for the Excel guys, I will be interested to know...

Erik

Upvote 0

Mikieb

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2011
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Name
Mike
Boat
Crash & Burn
Flesh Lights !

Upvote 0

The Notorious S.U.A.

Sep 10, 2008
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
Sporties
couple cartons of marlboros, a log or two of skoal, a stack of titty magazines, a bunch of carmex/lip balm and some DVD's and shit.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

• Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Cigars and bottle of patron tequila works well.

Upvote 0

fishdoggary

I do what I want Bitch!
    Aug 23, 2007
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Sunflower seeds, beef jerky, Slim Jim's.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Bring a ringing kit and gnarl hooks so you can customize crews jigs if they want too.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
    Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Their very favorite: A GOOD ATTITUDE and a FAT TIP.

:)

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    I know this topic comes up every once in a while, but new ideas as well as old are always good.

I will be on the Excel at the end of this month and wanted to bring some stuff for the crew. Lets throw out a bunch of ideas and if you know of items specifically for the Excel guys, I will be interested to know...

Erik
    Lots of CASH for a fat tip? I know ALL crew members appreciate this more than anything else...... They might remember you for the booze or food, but they will always remember you for the tip you left them.

Upvote 0

ebnash

Almost A Member
    Apr 1, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Erik Nash
    Boat
    None
    Lots of CASH for a fat tip? I know ALL crew members appreciate this more than anything else...... They might remember you for the booze or food, but they will always remember you for the tip you left them.

I always tip well, but on the Excel, you settle up privately with the skipper in the wheelhouse... Unless he is taking notes and telling every crew member what each of us left for tips, they probably don't know???

I definitely believe in tipping well, but I know there is shit they appreciate when your gettin on the boat...

I was thinking cases of redbull, carton of cigs, log of skoal, and some snack type foods, just trying to decide what all I want to bring.

Upvote 0

wxdunn

Oct 11, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    www.thefishingweatherman.com
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    none
    I never knew who tipped well and who didn't. When the galley tabs were settled I was always working. (Not that the crew is going to sit there to see what everyone throws in the bowl!) Some groups tipped well, others not so much. Those were usually a non-charter, shorter, run-through-the-landing type trip where the passengers weren't as well-versed in that type of fishing style.
    I always appreciated a good attitude and sense of humor. Still do! The guys who took things way too seriously usually turned out to be "that guy." If you are a regular on a boat, find out what the guys might like, a special treat, and surprise them next trip.

Upvote 0

TurdRoller

What happened?
    Mar 22, 2004
    Santee
    Name
    kyle
    Boat
    Tribute
    On another rig, a passenger brought the crew those nice heavy duty socks from Costco, that was pretty nice. We spend a lot of hours on our feet and good socks make a difference. Dr Scholl's? A carton of Reds or Lights of some sort will always find a home. We can't drink until after the trip, but its something nice to give crews at the end of a trip. Energy drinks will also always be put to use. If you hunt, bring on down some of that sausage...or backstrap :D .

Any kind of gesture is always greatly appreciated. Whether or not you bring a bunch of stuff, these crews will do their best to make your trip, and those little things can often times really keep the layer of salt off, especially when you're on the ocean for over a month at a time.

The guys who stand out to us (or at least on my current boat) were the ones who had the best attitudes, and the most fun of the trip. Sometimes you don't murder everything that swims on a trip, and the guy's who understand that it's just fishing, and keep at it with a positive vibe..those are the ones that get remembered.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
    Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    I always tip well, but on the Excel, you settle up privately with the skipper in the wheelhouse... Unless he is taking notes and telling every crew member what each of us left for tips, they probably don't know???

I definitely believe in tipping well, but I know there is shit they appreciate when your gettin on the boat...

I was thinking cases of redbull, carton of cigs, log of skoal, and some snack type foods, just trying to decide what all I want to bring.

no worries. I have brought energy drinks in the past to get off on the right foot...

But as you seem to be aware nothing says "Thank You" like "Here's Rent Money" and the security (however temporary) it brings.

I waited tables through college and when the nicest people gave you the "verbal gratuity" (ie Thanks so much it was wonderful!) you knew you were gonna be stiffed. No matter what you say or do, unless you are willing to pay for someone's hard work by parting with your cash it's BS. If baby needs new shoes, a carton of cigs doesn't help much.

Not directed at you, just others reading the thread that may have never had the opportunity to have to work for tips. :)

Definitely bring treats! Just never assume it's a tip.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid

Interesting..... on the Intrepid you settle up in the galley with the skipper and one crew member......

Upvote 0

NorthShore41

Jul 19, 2010
    Mo Town, CA
    I am bringing a case of Monster... I work a sleep deprived job and that is sooooooooo nice. Young man's coffee. I too would like more ideas, as they really do make the trip everything

Upvote 0

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
    Nov 6, 2008
    SEEKER RODS
    Name
    Nick Rekrut
    Boat
    Longrange
    the crew love getting all sorts of snacks. they usually have a cabinet full of gummy candy, chocolate, jerky, etc.. they like a case of cigars, and new movies too. anything you offer the crew, will be much appreciated.

Upvote 0