Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Dude seriously spend some time looking at your charts. This is not rocket science here. What type of structure do reds prefer? The depth contours just expanded so there's all kinds of new territory out there with bigger fish on them. Use your imagination.

What are the chances there are spots with consistently big reds on them near Anacapa 15 miles from two harbors? Probably near zero. Is that to say you can't get a couple decent fish? No, I'm sure you can but you need to look at the structure. Nobody is gonna give you numbers.

You want big reds? Go deep. The harder a spot is to get to, the larger the reds will be.

EB Foursome.jpg

Upvote 0

AirAndSea

Apr 23, 2019
Ventura Ca
Name
Chris G
Boat
17’ Outrage
Dude seriously spend some time looking at your charts. This is not rocket science here. What type of structure do reds prefer? The depth contours just expanded so there's all kinds of new territory out there with bigger fish on them. Use your imagination.

What are the chances there are spots with consistently big reds on them near Anacapa 15 miles from two harbors? Probably near zero. Is that to say you can't get a couple decent fish? No, I'm sure you can but you need to look at the structure. Nobody is gonna give you numbers.

You want big reds? Go deep. The harder a spot is to get to, the larger the reds will be.

View attachment 1269836
Thanks I appreciate it. Nice catches. Like I said, I’m new to being the one finding the spots. So I’m just trying to learn here. Not expecting someone to give coordinates.

Upvote 0

Fishing for Memories

Watch Our YouTube Like & Subscribe
  • Oct 23, 2020
    MDR
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fishing for Memories
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    I hit the Gap, 16.5 miles out of Channel Islands Harbor, last Thursday, 4/1, and it was all you want type of fishing for Chuckles, Starrys, and Whitefish. Current rips there though so you need a lot of lead.
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-01 at 1.11.37 PM.jpeg

Reactions: jer dog

AirAndSea

Apr 23, 2019
    Ventura Ca
    Name
    Chris G
    Boat
    17’ Outrage
    I hit the Gap, 16.5 miles out of Channel Islands Harbor, last Thursday, 4/1, and it was all you want type of fishing for Chuckles, Starrys, and Whitefish. Current rips there though so you need a lot of lead.
    View attachment 1269885
    Awesome! The young one is making great memories I’m sure!
    I’ll probably go to the gap, and also scope out some places on the backside of Anacapa. I’ve been around Anacapa on the Gentleman with good luck, wish I marked where we were.

Upvote 0
    Feb 28, 2016
    sb
    Name
    Jose Caballero
    Boat
    "Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
    relief shading is your friend. like errin says, if it's hard to reach there are more fish left.

Upvote 0