Good Spinning Rod for Hookup Baits?

Jackpot Curly

The next cast will be the one.
Jul 25, 2014
Name
Steve Kirchner
Boat
Rocinante
Recently I've been fishing a lot of Hookup Baits and I want to get a more parabolic 40lb rod for casting to larger fish like WSB and YT. I am looking at the Phenix Abyss PSX 809-Spinning 8’ 20-50lb Mod Fast. I hear a more parabolic rod paired with a spinning reel works best with Hookup Baits. I think the Abyss is the most parabolic rod Phenix makes, correct? I love my Phenix rods, but I only have experience with the Black Diamond models. Any feedback on this rod, or any suggestions on an alternative rod would be greatly appreciated. I don't own a saltwater spinning reel yet, so reel suggestions are also welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescadito

Aug 20, 2007
rosemead, ca
Name
john
Boat
n/a
The abyss series is very soft. I have fished them but did not like it because of how soft it was. I used the 9 footers for throwing kids and it was a little too soft for my liking. I have not tried the lighter rods for bait or plastics at all. I have built some lighter ones for friends and those were very soft as well.

Upvote 0

Jackpot Curly

Jul 25, 2014
Name
Steve Kirchner
Boat
Rocinante
Thanks. What about the Abyss HD? I hear they are still pretty parabolic, but less so than the regular Abyss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
For reels check out the Shimano Saragossa, I have a 10K for poppers and stickbaits which I really like. For hookup baits you cold go smaller like 8k size. Also heard good things about the Daiwa BG series which are less expensive than Shimano

Upvote 0

Jackpot Curly

Jul 25, 2014
Name
Steve Kirchner
Boat
Rocinante
look at a UC Monster.....
Thank you! I am not very familiar with UC rods, but I took your suggestion and started researching them. Very cool rods with great reviews all over the web. I can’t wait to go pull on one. I did not see the Monster in a spinning rod version, but I guess I could have one wrapped.

If you don’t mind me asking, what would you consider to be their classic 40-pound conventional surface iron jig stick? I want to check one of those out as well, kind of sounds like the action on the old classic Harnell’s, but that’s just a guess since I haven’t seen one yet.

Upvote 0

Jackpot Curly

Jul 25, 2014
Name
Steve Kirchner
Boat
Rocinante
For reels check out the Shimano Saragossa, I have a 10K for poppers and stickbaits which I really like. For hookup baits you cold go smaller like 8k size. Also heard good things about the Daiwa BG series which are less expensive than Shimano
That just confirms what I've been thinking. I think for the price and quality the clear winner for me is the Saragossa. I am bouncing back and on the 8000 vs the 10000, I like the extra line fill on the 10K, but like the feel of the smaller 8K.

Reactions: ReelWhite
Upvote 0

Jackpot Curly

Jul 25, 2014
Name
Steve Kirchner
Boat
Rocinante
Man, no one has chimed in about the owner being a poacher yet? I must say that I'm disappointed in BD, guess everyone is focusing on the "sick wide" thread.
I respect your opinion, it's just been beat to death so many times in various posts, and it hijacks the thread's original question every time. I will say that many tackle stores, like Fisherman's Access in Brea, refuse to sell his product and stock a very good alternative product that looks identical to HUB if you want to fish a good saltwater tube bait but have a moral objection to supporting a company whose owner was convicted of poaching.

Reactions: Shon
Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
The one that fishes upside down is real nice. Then you can rest the foregrip of that old buggy whip right on the rail. Leastways that's how I do it.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0