Good La Jolla Rockfishing

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by thekman, Nov 23, 2012.

1. thekman

thekman Newbie

Name:
    Kirk Braito
    Boat:
    18.5 Sea Ray, The Mothership
    Went rockfishing wed. with son and bro in law (sorry for the late post....busy with thanksgiving and all).

Got a late start. Left Mission Bay at 1:00 hoping that the wind wouldn't be that bad. Easy rolling swell 2-4' Made good time to La Jolla and saw a big commotion outside. Moved in to investigate and there must have been a huge bait ball 'cause pelicans, gulls, terns, sea lions and dolphins were gorging. Real mutual of Omaha stuff. Cast swimbaits and small jigs for nothing.

Moved off to original plan and set up in 250' water trying to find structure. Couple of decent Starries and wide open sand dab bite (ha ha...my son's new nickname is the sand dab king) Moved in to shallower water and fished the lobster bouys for good reds, johnny bass, barber poles. Almost felt like cheating to use the bouys to locate rocks but someone gave me a tip.....

Almost time to go and my bro hooks a good one that gets snagged. He reefs on it and it seems like a lost cause. We move the boat and give it some slack and he yells, "It's free!" Pulls up a meaty 3-4lb. tree fish. Maybe you were expecting something cooler, but that was definately the biggest one I've ever seen!

No wind. Beautiful day on the water and good haul of taco meat. Yippee!
    Sorry no photos, they are stuck on my sons phone...

2. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Great report, keep um coming!!

3. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat: