Good fishfinder for detecting tuna

Jul 22, 2019
Costa Mesa
Name
Aldraw
Boat
Proline 21
Anyone with experience and success out there able to recommend what to look for in a fishfinder or what are some good models for seeing tuna under the boat?

The lowrance we're using doesn't seem to do the job.

Reactions: John Stidman

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Hismosa is right, the transducer is critical. But also you need to be running at the right speed. Even Navy frigates don't search for subs at the speeds most private boaters are running. The attitude seems to be, "Let's go as fast as we can possibly get away with in these conditions to GET THERE, the area where the reports say that the fish were yesterday." A whole lot of tuna are run over without ever being noticed because they aren't being looked for properly. Try ten knots instead of twenty-five and see the difference on your screen.

Jul 22, 2019
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Aldraw
    Boat
    Proline 21
    Hismosa is right, the transducer is critical. But also you need to be running at the right speed. Even Navy frigates don't search for subs at the speeds most private boaters are running. The attitude seems to be, "Let's go as fast as we can possibly get away with in these conditions to GET THERE, the area where the reports say that the fish were yesterday." A whole lot of tuna are run over without ever being noticed because they aren't being looked for properly. Try ten knots instead of twenty-five and see the difference on your screen.

Maybe the transducer needs to be upgraded. I'm not expecting to see fish at 25 knots all we get is static at those speeds. Typically running 5-10 when looking.

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Start with a transducer upgrade, maybe reposition. But notice all of the BD reports that talk about finding fish without another boat around, way closer than expected. I mentioned the speed because a lot of people seem to think that tuna are camping out in a single area, when schools keep moving around and up the coast. Every year there are reports of 3/4-day boats getting into them within twenty miles of San Diego. All of those fish were run over by boats charging fifty miles south, never even knew that they were there.

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    I gave up being a boat owner over thirty years ago. But starting with my grandfather and uncle who were commercial fishermen out of Newport Harbor, we had a dozen boats over the decades in our families. I learned that having a GOOD marine service dealer was critical, and fortunately there are some excellent ones here in SoCal. Back in the day, I would ask a few buddies in Power Squadron who was doing the best work, because it's not the dealership, it's the skilled tech that matters.