Good express sportfish for California?

Feb 12, 2016
Central CA
Name
luke
Boat
someday
I'm in the research phase before buying my first offshore fishing boat, almost everything i look at seems to be built for the East Coast. I read a lot about those boats not being good for California. So what would be a good boat for CA?

a few boats that look close to what i want are the Scarab Sport 30, the Fountain 33 sportfish, and some Pursuits.

Ideally I would like an express sportfish boat that has less than a 10' beam so that I can trailer it without flagging it. does anyone make an express that is the size of the scarab?

Here's some key points of what I'm looking for:
good for CA
good for fishing, cruising, diving, and overnight or weekend trips
nice enough for my wife
trailerable (less than 10' beam, tow vehicle is a diesel dually)
head, berth, galley (for wife and tax reasons)
from new to 10 years old

Im starting to think I'm looking for something that doesnt exist. Can anyone suggest a boat that meets those criteria?

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Why would east coast boats not work? As long as they are not flats boats they should be fine. Everybodies favorite parkers are east coast boats. Just do not trust their live well plumbing.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2016
Central CA
Name
luke
Boat
someday
Why would east coast boats not work? As long as they are not flats boats they should be fine. Everybodies favorite parkers are east coast boats. Just do not trust their live well plumbing.

Thats a good question, i dont know the answer. But I have read many times about radons, parkers, skipjacks, etc... being better because they are made for CA waters. I do know that I have spent way too much time looking at boats and wanted to focus my search more.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
You might look at a grady white 282. There used to be one in the classified section. Hard to find a 30+ foot boat with less than a 10 foot beam. There are a few pilot houses out there I believe. West coast guys only think west coast built boats are good and east coast guys only think east coast boats are good. As long as they are built right in the first place and they fit your needs, either are fine.

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
A good start would be to know your background with boating.
Have you ever owned a boat?
Do you have power preferences?
Drive type preferences?
Will the boat stay in the water during the summer or always trailer?
Are you inclined to do your own work on the boat?
Will you be doing overnighters?
What species are you targeting the most.
Do you prefer a boat with easy walk around ability to walk a fish around the boat, or just a good cockpit?
Is efficiency an issue or top speed?
What sort of amenities are you interested in?
And the big one is the budget.
After owning nine boats, the only perfect boat is the one you have custom built, then you realize that one isn't perfect, but because you designed it and outfitted it, you can't complain.
Waves and wind on the East Coast look just like the ones on the west coast. We tend to like the live bait a lot more out here, so bait capacity is usually a difference.
Tons a great boats as well as crap boats out there for the taking. Everyone has their opinion and preference. Bottom line is that if you are spending some cash on a boat, do your due diligence.
Do a real test ride with your family and get input. It's far easier to feel good about your purchase when your wife goes out with a smile and states how much she "likes this one."
Wether the boat is New or used, get a hill survey done and if it's used get an engine survey done. You'd be surprised how many problems a surveyed can find on a new boat. Then you can have the dealer fix those issues (if they want to sell the boat) before you drive off with it and avoid expensive or timely issues down the road.

Reactions: makairaa
Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
I like the GW 300 marlin. I have a 24 Skippy now but down the road we're thinking something with a little more creature comforts for staying out on the water for few days at a time. The Skippy 262 would be perfect for us but I'm not to sure about the up and down to the helm for fishing. Post up your research, it would be great to see what you find that meets your parameters,,,gregg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Parker isn't a West Coast boat by the way, it's a North Carolina boat. But they work amazing for the West Coast. So don't rule out East Coasters!

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Im starting to think I'm looking for something that doesnt exist. Can anyone suggest a boat that meets those criteria?

If you have the $$$ I'd call Don Radon and have him build you a custom 29 express style, you'd be hard pressed to find a better boat for the West Coast.

Since all his boats are custom you can add whatever bells and whistles you and the wife need. Top shelf stuff but the price tag is as well.

Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
I just bought a Henriques 28 Express with Yanmar diesels. Not cheap but a very good boat. Cruise 22 and WOT at 27 knots. It is a semi custom build that has many innovative features. It trolls goods and gets bit.I think it is a very good small boat for So Cal. I'm biased since I did a lot of research and this was my choice.

20151125_154430.jpg

Reactions: 40Grit
Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I think a 30' x 8' boat would sacrifice too much for "legal" trailering.

I would suggest 26' x 8', 28' x 9', or 30' x 10' as a starting point for an express fishing boat.

Tiara, Pursuit, Luhrs, etc with single or twin diesels.

Dry storage is an option in many areas and eliminates the hassle of towing a 10' beam and anti-fouling paint.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    I've towed a 10' + beamed boats for 25 years with zero issues. Once you fish on that beam you will never want to go narrow again.

It is an urban myth that towing a wider beam is a hassle. I've been stopped & asked for a permit once in 1000's of trips. It costs <$100 per year, but the comfort & ride well worth it.

Think power package first since that is where the biggest costs are involved. Then hull type, form & function. Certain brands hold far more resale values. Hitch rides before you buy if possible.

Reactions: 40Grit
    Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
    Aug 16, 2012
    los angeles
    Name
    flyhigh123
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    if i were to go 30+ feet, 10'6 beam is the only way to go... the permit is nothing extra and trailering it really is no different.

Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
    Long Beach
    Name
    Jake
    Boat
    36’ Tiara Express
    Proline 2950 with 4 strokes. Has everything you're asking for and is 10'6 beam but only about 8.5 at waterline and wheel width. Makes trailering a lot easier.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    I like the Proline 30' Express past 2005 because of the increased deadrise vs earlier years and it is all composite, no wood anywhere with a 10'6" beam trailerable. Then again I would take a Boston Whaler 315 Conquest over the Proline. I think the G/W Marlin is a better choice than the Proline.....Pursuits are nice boats, but for the money I would stick with the Conquest. It has the beam and a luxurious ride. All of the water noise is practically nil due to the foam coring and they are just plain nice inside and out.

Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
    Long Beach
    Name
    Jake
    Boat
    36’ Tiara Express
    I like the Proline 30' Express past 2005 because of the increased deadrise vs earlier years and it is all composite, no wood anywhere with a 10'6" beam trailerable. Then again I would take a Boston Whaler 315 Conquest over the Proline. I think the G/W Marlin is a better choice than the Proline.....Pursuits are nice boats, but for the money I would stick with the Conquest. It has the beam and a luxurious ride. All of the water noise is practically nil due to the foam coring and they are just plain nice inside and out.
    I wouldn't argue with any of that although I haven't been on a 31' whaler (trailerable?). I do like my little whaler and see what you mean about the coring cutting down noise and making it feel solid. The price of the proline is very attractive though. Anyway all good choices.

Upvote 0