Good deed/good fishing 03.18.18

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by the SLIDER, Mar 18, 2018.

1. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    It's been about 5 weeks since I've been out. Been sick and the weather hasn't cooperated on the weekends. My post have been a little on the rude/snarky side. I equate it to the same disposition as when I don't get laid. My apologies to those I have offended.

Fishing was good out of DP today. I had 60&61 degree water today. Really requires 60+ to catch bass most days. I fished a mile out in 85-90 ft of water initially when is was fairly flat. Caught about 10 Sandies about half of them legal and tossed them all back. I wanted to get all Checkerboards to bring to my folks house in order to make them tacos. My dad can't fish anymore since he's old and has health problems and my mom has limited time with Cancer.

While I was fishing the Sandies, a sailboat was angling straight towards me and shore. I was on the drift, not anchored and I soon realized this vessel is on a collision course with me. At about 100 feet I start shouting "Anyone home?". Nothing. I start the motor and back up as so the Sailboat barely passes me. Never saw anyone in the back of the boat, maybe inside the tiny cabin?

Twenty minutes later the Sailboat has not changed course and is headed to the middle of the breakwall at DP Harbor. Sad to say, I kinda wanted to see what was going to happen. Then the inside part of me I have to live with called DP Sherriff HP and they scrambled out there with sirens going. By this time the boat looks like it's really close to the rocks.Here's the shaky video from a mile away

It appeared that nothing more than verbally contacting the skipper was necessary. The direction of the Sailboat turned to the harbor mouth.

It got a little breezy from the SW so I moved inside to finish up the day targeting those fish tacos. In the next hours I caught 5 Checkerboards and three legal, just right for tacos for three.

God is Good.

ScaleyOne, clevel, slydawg and 14 others like this.
  2. John S.

John S. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    What did you get the calicos on and how deep? Good job on the sail boat. You never know if it is incompetence, medical or some other distraction. It does surprise me when people do use autopilot and no one is on watch. Like nothing is going to happen.

John

ScaleyOne and the SLIDER like this.
  3. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Thanks for the report and good job on the bass enjoy the tacos!

the SLIDER likes this.
  4. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    I like fishing the pipe that goes perpendicular of shore 1/4 m south of the harbor, It's always productive at least once a day on the right tide/wind. Just lead heads and this time of year accompanied by a squid trailer. The pipe is about a mile long ranging from 40- 75 or so feet. No fuel cost and worth fishing when your not sure of the weather.

The sailboat looked weathered, had 2 paddle boards on top and nobody home.

TAHK likes this.
  5. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Let's All Just Get Along

Name:
    Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Old Spool - Parker 2520
    Very nice work. Best wishes to your folks. Glad you got them some fresh fish.

the SLIDER likes this.
  6. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    We were leaving the bait dock when we heard your call on 16. Sheriff rolled out hot and we saw them make contact as we turned out of the harbor. Sounded like they ended up helping a second boat as well.

Good looking out.

It was 58 on the kelp line, green and slow.

the SLIDER likes this.
  7. Mo Betta

Mo Betta Offshore Prop Changer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
    Sorry to hear about your Mom. Thanks for the report.

One_Leg and the SLIDER like this.
  8. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    I'm glad your feeling better LJ. It's tough watching your parents get old, but your a good son and that's all that counts during these times. Good report and another nice day of fishing on the Slider.
    Have a great season
    Corey

PS No fishing video with some old funk music in the background

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Microbait and the SLIDER like this.
  9. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Exactly why I don't sail. Someone's going to get hurt.

the SLIDER likes this.
  10. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    Yes He is brotha, and All the Time! I don't know you man, but prayers up for you and yours anyhow. I don't know what you're going thru...yet. Mine are starting to get up there too.

But in the meantime, I hope to follow suit by doing the right thing, sharing some time, some stories, and some pescado!

God bless.

rick rouland and the SLIDER like this.
  11. Sandydog

Sandydog Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John Kim
    Boat:
    n/a
  12. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Thanks for all the kind regards gentleman

Taco night was a success. Sure I've prepare a few things for my folks in the past, however they always hovered around making sure everything was cleanly, (no hair in the food and such) This time they sat and watched TV and talked with me. I think they liked getting served and having a night off.

Good times.

I know every year the scientific community predicts El Nino or La Nina. I am going out on a limb and say things are shaping up for early warm waters (El Nino). What that means, optimistically hopeful.. I'm a California native and fished most of my life. No rain till the late months always equates to a good year. Need about three more rain cycles and I think were good.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  13. Ricsen

Ricsen Member

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    Robalo 260 CC
    Good call on what you did for that sailboat. Sounds like a great day on the water. Even better that it ended up rewarding for you and your folks. Those are the memories we all cherish. Way to go.

the SLIDER likes this.
  14. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    I am glad you caught keepers on Sunday. I also hung near shore and a portion of the pipe around noon but scratched.