nickb

Aug 11, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Nick Buchanan
Boat
Bay Ranger
Had a good day out of Dana Point today.

Got to Dana Point around 5am, got a half scoop of dines and made half a dozen macks. Initially ran south down past the domes about five miles out looking for BFT closer in. Saw lots of birds, but none diving and even though it looked fishy off San O's didn't see any fish so headed out to the 181. Lots of life close in but not much action until I got to the 181. Trolled around for a while, and eventually saw birds working puddlers and small foamers breaking here and there about 3 to 4 miles west of 181. Some very big fish in the mix! Worked the area most of the day. Really struggled to get them to bite, but did manage one nice size tuna on a colt sniper dropped down through the baitball they were crashing on. And it was a YFT - not a blue. 78lbs.

Wind picked up a little in the afternoon for a wet bumpy ride home...

IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0543.JPG

Upvote 0

nickb

Aug 11, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Nick Buchanan
Boat
Bay Ranger
Yes - you're right - BFT - my bad. Not sure how I got confused - the markings are pretty clear - pectoral fin and dorsal... Was fun to catch! First one of the season for me. Lots of them out there.

Upvote 0

oniedab

Fishing is there anything else?
Jul 17, 2009
visalia/ca/Tulare
Name
mike hagans
Boat
28ft Grady White Sailfish
Nice Bluefin, Nice problem to have when they are both legal. Problem is getting lucky and catching three of them by yourself and thinking you have Yellowfin.

Upvote 0