Reefmo

Almost A Member
Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
Dad and mom in town visiting... dad is 79.5 years young and loves to fish. Did a day of fresh water then headed down to barn kelp yesterday to fish the kelp for bass... we arrived in misting gray overcast... and there was no more kelp! Water was 75.

Moved up the line to box canyon. Metered some stringers below the surface and set up shop there. We ended up with about 90 minutes of wide open calico bite! It was my dad's first time flylining. We had some iffy mini Dean's but they worked great!

Ended up with 2 legal calico and one legal sandie.
Good time had by all.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Dad and mom in town visiting... dad is 79.5 years young and loves to fish. Did a day of fresh water then headed down to barn kelp yesterday to fish the kelp for bass... we arrived in misting gray overcast... and there was no more kelp! Water was 75.

Moved up the line to box canyon. Metered some stringers below the surface and set up shop there. We ended up with about 90 minutes of wide open calico bite! It was my dad's first time flylining. We had some iffy mini Dean's but they worked great!

Ended up with 2 legal calico and one legal sandie.
Good time had by all.

I'll guess you're stoked to still be able to fish with your Dad, and that he can still get around to fish with you. Lost my Dad in January @ 90, it ain't about the fish at this point, nice brief write-up, it says everything!

Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 3, 2009
Santee/ca/usa
Name
Marty
Boat
Lard ass
:cheers::appl:
I'll guess you're stoked to still be able to fish with your Dad, and that he can still get around to fish with you. Lost my Dad in January @ 90, it ain't about the fish at this point, nice brief write-up, it says everything!

Reactions: Reefmo
Upvote 0

King Halibut

BigBoy
Sep 11, 2008
Buena Park, Calif
Name
Dave
Boat
none
Matt,

Nice write up, agreed it's all about getting out there with the old man.
My father taught me how to fish fifty years ago and it's one of the greatest things he ever did for me!
He can't get out there anymore but still loves my trip reports.

KH

Reactions: Reefmo
Upvote 0