Good Calico Fishing at Palos Verdes / Monday 6/11

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by get some, Jun 12, 2018.

1. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    My boat had been out of commission for a week due to me being an idiot and not paying attention when I replaced my water pump impeller a couple weeks ago. I was just going to change the impeller but had purchased the entire kit so I decided to change out the housing while I was at it. Was filming the whole thing as a tutorial for an upcoming article and that distracted me enough to forget to remove a couple of parts from the old impeller housing and put them in the new one before putting everything back together.
    IMG_0969.jpg
    Didn't realize my mistake until I was at the launch ramp a few days later and the motor wouldn't pee at idle but did when I revved it up. Of course the garbage truck had taken the old parts by the time I realized my mistake and I had to order the parts from back east. If there's one lesson to be learned from my mistake is to not throw any old parts away until the new parts are proved to be functional. Anyway, Matt and I decided to head up to PV on Monday afternoon to run the boat and hopefully catch a bass or two.

The bass bite ended up being surprisingly good and we caught lots of fish on the weedless with one standout.
    35148031_10209414971931297_3991482944064585728_o.jpg
    There are a lot of anchovies along the peninsula right now and it's definitely fishing a lot different than it normally does at this time of year. It took us quite a bit of driving around and spot checking before we found biters but once we did we were able to repeat the pattern and catch more fish. All of the bass are really grouped up right now like they usually are when getting ready to spawn, but they're not where they'd usually be on the outer edge of the kelp.
    My guess is that these bass are grouped up to ambush the schools of anchovies that are swimming around in the kelp. Once we found the depth range that the bait was holding in almost every isolated patch of two or three stringers would have a bunch of bass on them. You'd hook one and have 20-30 followers and then once you passed the isolated stringers you wouldn't see another bass.
    pv.jpg
    We fished from Fermin up to Trump National and while there was downhill current everywhere, the swell had the water really ugly on the lower end. Water was 64-66 everywhere but any areas with dirty or silty water were not biting at all. I got a couple fish on the hardbait but the barracuda were on it too so we stuck to weedless the rest of the trip.

2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Lots of good analysis in your post!

I would have assumed you would have hooked up a garden hose to the motor at your house before heading down to the ramp? But maybe it didn't show the issue?

3. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Well, that would have been the prudent thing to do. lol

Woodeneye likes this.
  4. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    I've done many worse things, don't worry :)

cortezpirasea and get some like this.
  5. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    Mind sharing what weedless you use and how to rig it?

6. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Sure, just using the MC Swimbaits 7-inch weedless rigged on a 9/0 3/4 ounce Trokar hook.

Fisha likes this.
  7. Flatinfifth

Flatinfifth Newbie

Name:
    Angel Sanchez-Figueras
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21
    Erik, at least you weren't in an airplane............... Nice thing about boats, very few things are terminal.....unlike aircraft.

get some likes this.
  8. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    Thanks man.... appreciate it. Time to give weedless a try.

9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Way to go guys, sounds like a blast of a trip!

10. Ed Y

Ed Y Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    BW Montauk 170
    Great report and valuable insight. Thanks for sharing the report & your knowledge.