Good Boat for out windward side

jtuna

Jan 2, 2011
Hawaii
Name
Jason
Hi All,
I could use some help hunting down a good boat for trolling out of Kaneohe and Hawaii Kai. Will be mainly trolling lures out to buoys.

I am looking for something around 19-22ft that does not need much work to get running. Boats seem to be pretty slim out here right now.
I have done a bit of research and have been looking at
Arima Sea Rangers 19 or 21 foot
Grady White Adventure 208
SteigerCraft Miami 21
Extreme Boats from New Zealand

I have not found any force, alii kai, or others for sale in a bit

I have been trying to stay away from center consoles. I am open to any advice you all have from running boats out here.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Beauchat2

Almost A Member
Aug 21, 2012
oahu
Name
Russ
Boat
22 Force flybridge DEEEEZEL, 16 Arima Sandbar Queen
Ahhhhhh the timeless question. After years of debating which boat is better, Force Kamicraft, Knife, Mosquito, Currentline, arima, Islander, glasply, glasspro, fiberform, grady, parker, Wellcraft, seacraft, edgewater, the list goes on and on etc. I say get a boat that you feel safe getting out and back in. Of course bigger is better. Diesel is great, Twin outboards offer redundancy but lots of people run singles due to cost. I say to avoid certain mainland hulls cuz the glassing is usually chop strand and they layup is thin. Your budget really will determine what you can get into. But I have friends who fish in all types of boats who manage to get out to the buoys and beyond. Just depends how uncomfortable of a ride you are willing to handle. My days of chasing ahi in a center console are long gone. Left that back in my 20's never gonna do that again........but then again, never say never if that's all I have. Goodluck on your quest to find a suitable hull.

Upvote 0

Dillusion

May 6, 2021
Hawaii
Name
Kyle
Boat
Tern Cat 18
I have a Tern 18 and only launch Heeia. Wish I had a little more deck space but works good to me.

Guess what are you willing to spend is the question. Boats are in high high demand right now so you will be paying a premium.

Heres a 22 force. But as you can see its $$$$ even for older boats.

jtuna

Jan 2, 2011
Hawaii
Name
Jason
Ahhhhhh the timeless question. After years of debating which boat is better, Force Kamicraft, Knife, Mosquito, Currentline, arima, Islander, glasply, glasspro, fiberform, grady, parker, Wellcraft, seacraft, edgewater, the list goes on and on etc. I say get a boat that you feel safe getting out and back in. Of course bigger is better. Diesel is great, Twin outboards offer redundancy but lots of people run singles due to cost. I say to avoid certain mainland hulls cuz the glassing is usually chop strand and they layup is thin. Your budget really will determine what you can get into. But I have friends who fish in all types of boats who manage to get out to the buoys and beyond. Just depends how uncomfortable of a ride you are willing to handle. My days of chasing ahi in a center console are long gone. Left that back in my 20's never gonna do that again........but then again, never say never if that's all I have. Goodluck on your quest to find a suitable hull.

I hear you, the question has been asked a bit.
I have kayaked to the S buoy, and been out there in 13 foot whaler, constantly using a powerade bottle as a bilge pump. Felt safer in the kayak:) . I gotta fish, its in the blood and will do whatever I can to get out there.

Thanks for the tip on the thin layups.

I was pretty interested in the difference of how an Arima type hull handles vs the grady's deeper v. I do not care about going fast and punching through waves. I am looking for something that is stable while trolling when the seas pick up a little. Although maybe the point is that it does not matter too much, as long as its not a pontoon boat.

I have a Tern 18 and only launch Heeia. Wish I had a little more deck space but works good to me.

Guess what are you willing to spend is the question. Boats are in high high demand right now so you will be paying a premium.

Heres a 22 force. But as you can see its $$$$ even for older boats.

I was pretty interested in the Tern 18 and 23, but missed a couple opportunities, and windwards boats mentioned they are backordered over a year.

Sold my "little boat that could" a little prematurely.
On another note, if anyone needs a boat hoe, that can pay for gas and help cleanup after, give me a shout. I have some of my own gear, and a bunch of lures rigged and ready to troll. :)

Upvote 0

Dillusion

May 6, 2021
Hawaii
Name
Kyle
Boat
Tern Cat 18
Yeah right now good luck finding a new one. I went down to Windward Boats earlier this year and they said maybe end of summer they will get something.

Luckily I saw mine and met the guy same day.

Upvote 0

Beauchat2

Almost A Member
Aug 21, 2012
oahu
Name
Russ
Boat
22 Force flybridge DEEEEZEL, 16 Arima Sandbar Queen
Along with the 22 force that I primarily fish on I have a 16 Arima. My cousin also has a 15 arima and he catches ahi and everything else a big boat can as long as the weather permits, its just a really small boat. No question the Grady is a superior open ocean boat to the Arima with its deeper V and more dead rised hull. The Grady is also usually much more expensive. I also owned double hulled boats. They ride great in chop, I don't particularly like them in big seas however because the twin hulled pontoons can sometimes pull hard left or right. Its just my personal preference but for big water I'd prefer a mono hull. Even if you nosedive, width of a monohull usually pops the nose back up. That being said, many people love their twin hulled boats and catch alot of fish on them. About the mainland boats having thin layups, I meant like the seaswirls and sea foxes. Boats like Edgewater, Grady White, Parker, Everglades, and Whaler are all awesome and most of them are built with no wood now......they're just expensive.

Upvote 0

jtuna

Jan 2, 2011
Hawaii
Name
Jason
neat, was super close to picking up an arima, but sale fell through.
had found another arima,
2003 21 sea ranger in seattle area for about 43k, looked super nice.
waiting for offer to go through on a used grady. fingers crossed, hopefully back in the water soon.

thanks for the advice! still figuring it all out. thankful for the opportunity to be looking at boats:)

Upvote 0

KD4

Jun 16, 2020
Kailua
Name
Kepa
Boat
Kili’opu
Of the boats you mentioned, I would go with the Grady. Nice hull shape and a solid platform. There’s a reason they are expensive, even the older used ones, it’s because they are built solid. Fished the windward side for over 20 years in a Force, yellowfin, whaler, edge water, and I’ve fished with others on a knife and kami which are outside your size range.

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
if you are in the $40k price range, plus shipping from Mainland, I would look at this one...

tight lines,

Upvote 0

jtuna

Jan 2, 2011
Hawaii
Name
Jason
Of the boats you mentioned, I would go with the Grady. Nice hull shape and a solid platform. There’s a reason they are expensive, even the older used ones, it’s because they are built solid. Fished the windward side for over 20 years in a Force, yellowfin, whaler, edge water, and I’ve fished with others on a knife and kami which are outside your size range.

Thank you KD4, that is a confirmation I am looking for. Hopefully the Grady will go through and will be fishing her in a month.

if you are in the $40k price range, plus shipping from Mainland, I would look at this one...

tight lines,
I have always wanted a bertram. Will keep that boat in mind if the grady falls through.

I have only trailered a small inflatable boat out here, and used the He’eia and Hawaii Kai boat ramps.
Do I need to have the slide trailer extension for these ramps?
Who would sell the extension?

and
Happy Fathers Day to all🤙

Upvote 0

calvinkeithpres

ISLAND WARRIOR
Apr 29, 2011
Sunset Bch, Hi USA
Name
Calvin Pressly
Boat
Island Warrior
Grady is far superior, note, Grady is famous for their Sea-V-2 Hull design on all 1992 to present models, older models prior to 1992 are good, but the 1992 design change was a game changer

Upvote 0

jtuna

Jan 2, 2011
Hawaii
Name
Jason
Thanks for all the help and recommendations,
picked her up last week and was able to get her out in the water this weekend.

Hopefully will be rigged up for fishing before the season is over.

3077477B-6BAB-437C-B6F1-1B148828EEC2.jpeg

Upvote 0