michael c day

FISHANYWHERE
Jul 1, 2012
phoenix Az. puerto penasco, sonora. Loreto baja ca
Name
MIGY D
Boat
Mi Ultra Amor
Hate to rag on a boat but when its this bad you gotta say something. Boarded 1.5 on time 8 pm. Wed. Trip sold as 22 passengers but ended up 25 fisherman and large crew. Good load of dines we followed the Condor.
Have fished that boat with great crew and Captain when they relaunched the boat, they were the real deal. But this was 2 seasons ago. Put us on fish and fished hard, crew was knowledgeable and helpful to everyone. Not sure what happened but totally new Captain, cook, and crew don't have a clue.
Kind of knew we were screwed when the vague Game plan was head 100 miles South and see what we find??? WTF ? So we end up Inshore, guessing 2 miles West of Ensenada, we could see land and later made out the Utility Plant south end of Ensenada. Never went West out of lands sight.

Long story short we boxed maybe about a 10 square mi. area stopping on every kelp patty he saw. Scratch fishing for small and medium size Yellowtail with so many options is just plain retarded. Not sure where this Captain came from but guessing he's been offed by the community or doesn't ask for help. Had no problem with his boating skills at all he just didn't have a clue where to fish or even where the fleet had been catching fish.

Our count for the day 30 Yellowtail 4 Bonita on the troll for 25 anglers. He was done fishing by 3 pm. and started our boat ride North. Never caught his name not sure that he offered it. Asked one of the crew where he was from....fished Alaska, Hawaii, did some longlining but not sure????

Everyone has to make a living but not at the publics expense, I fault the Owners Eric and not sure of his new partner but jeez guys what the Tomahawk sold us was a stuffed expensive ( 450.00) boat ride. Never go back don't recommend. Sorry for the rant yall ! BTW Condor out of same dock limited on Yellowtail and had a few B.F.
Happy Fourth !!!!

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
So you're butt hurt because you didn't catch fish? I guess you forgot its a big ocean and some days you win and some days you lose. Pretty shitty to slam a Captain when you didn't even have the balls to ask him his name.

If the Captain is who I think it was, he has a LONG track record and history as a quality Captain and isn't the type to just mail it in

JK47

Well-Known "Member"
May 19, 2019
HB
Name
Alek
Boat
SS Minnow
So you're butt hurt because you didn't catch fish? I guess you forgot its a big ocean and some days you win and some days you lose. Pretty shitty to slam a Captain when you didn't even have the balls to ask him his name.

If the Captain is who I think it was, he has a LONG track record and history as a quality Captain and isn't the type to just mail it in
Which Captain is that?

Reactions: Cubeye

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
Fish move...you have to have a plan when they are being fish...you stick with that plan...that's a long run to change plans in the middle...sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug.... Golf is easier.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Sorry that you had a frustrating trip. It happens to all of us, both as passengers and crew. THEY were not hiding out or running away from the fish, you can be sure. Bloody decks equals happy crew.

I've been on some trips where the guys on the rail alongside me would look around an empty ocean and say, "Geeze, I guess the radio's broken. Where's the fleet?" And it was obvious that they only felt comfortable when they were fishing in a herd. I have always felt that, win or lose, I want to go find fish that HAVEN'T been stepped on by other boats. Sometimes you find them, and then they just don't want to play on that day.

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
2 seasons ago. Put us on fish and fished hard, crew was knowledgeable and helpful to everyone. Not sure what happened but totally new Captain, cook, and crew don't have a clue.
That fish killing Crew is Jeff, Scotty, chopo and chef Mikey!

They have their own boat now, Outrider out of Fishermans.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Large crew ? deadheads disguised as deckhands ?

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
Joe Crisci is a badass , and the fact that you don't know anything about him shows your ignorance. he can out fish you , if he were in a coma, lol. maybe out just suck , and maybe you should go fish the lakes , when the truck is there stocking trout. maybe if you cry loud enough they'll let you fish right next to the truck, that way you might catch something.

Last edited:

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
rough and tumble business at best.
Made even rougher by Monday morning quatrerbacks slamming them on the WWW because of a down day .
The crews want to catch fish even more then you do afterall it's how they make a living . Dry sacks don't put bread on the table . You buy your ticket you take your chances on any given day .

[email protected]

allwyas fishing
Jul 30, 2008
Point loma
Name
frank
Boat
None
Quit winning like a little bitch! Captain joe Crisci is a excellent fisherman and captain! He has seen more fish and caught more fish than you will ever wish to in your life! His knowledge of Sportfishing and commercial fishing is unmatched. Your butt hurt because you guys had a tough day of fishing! Well that’s the way it goes sometimes! I grew up in a commercial fishing family and Sportfishing my whole life, these captains know exactly where, what and how to catch these fish day in and day out. If that’s the zone he was working, then there must have been a good sign or amount of fish holding there! They are there to catch fish not go for a boat ride! It’s a numbers game, no fish consistently means no customer base! Everyone has to take there shitty days, so just get over it and stop bashing the boat and captain!!

[email protected]

allwyas fishing
Jul 30, 2008
Point loma
Name
frank
Boat
None
Dan I'm really very aware its a big ocean, but when one area doesn't pan out you move.
My complaint was staying in the same area all day and then topping it off.
Having balls to confront someone is not a problem for me, in this case it was a waste of energy.
If the fish are holding in that area you stick it out with your game plan! Especially at 100 miles down the line and on a 1.5 trip! Your time is very limited at that range and if that zone is showing signs of fish, you stick it out! Seems like you guys did get fish so stop complaining!! It’s not always going to be a giant boomer whenever you make a trip!!

Yolo

Outcasts
May 30, 2006
San Diego
www.sandiegofishingclub.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Relentless
Sometimes the water changes, the fish swim, you are in a full moon so they are all lit up (the bait sure is) so conditions change. That’s why you go multi-day and hope you get one good day.

Bluefin fishing is not always bluefin catching

Dont blame the landing, capt, crew..blame mother nature

[email protected]

allwyas fishing
Jul 30, 2008
Point loma
Name
frank
Boat
None
Dan I'm really very aware its a big ocean, but when one area doesn't pan out you move.
My complaint was staying in the same area all day and then topping it off.
Having balls to confront someone is not a problem for me, in this case it was a waste of energy.
On a 1.5 day trip and your making the long run south, you have to call it at a certain time! I bet you guys were not at exactly 100 miles you were probably more at 120-130, the boat is making about 9-10 knots going back upswell so that prolongs your arrival time. Taking in to account if you spot fish on the way back up the line!

King Halibut

BigBoy
Sep 11, 2008
Buena Park, Calif
Name
Dave
Boat
none
Michael,
Sorry to hear you had a rough trip, it happens to all of us at one time or another.
I’m guessing you’ve learned a valuable lesson while on this site, you typically DO NOT criticize boats or captains and if you do you will get this type of response.
Most fishermen are quite loyal to their preferred boats and their captains.
Good luck next time.
Tight lines.

Professor

Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Some random thoughts on the black elf comments.

As to where they fish it’s always a tough call. The 390 spot where a lot of the larger bluefin came from is pretty much dried up for now. The first boats that went farther out were fishing “virgin” kelps and were rewarded with good numbers and quality with the YT. Those paddies are no longer “virgins”.

Somebody has to look for new water that’s holding. If you guess right you’re the new golden captain. If not, well you can see what happens to you.

I’ve fished the boat a couple of times this summer and they work hard for their fish and carry an ample crew. On my last trip there were 5 deckhands for about 22 passengers. All of the deckhands were hard working and fun to be around. The only fishing, I saw them do was managing the kite rig and help me bring in a 190# BFT. Sucks getting old but it’s still fun to hook em.

As long as I’m writing this I might as well get in my rant in. We had large bluefin around the boat most of the morning. My guess was that six people were fishing for them with the proper gear and the rest of the passengers were just jerking off with tackle that was way light. I know it’s their choice to fish whatever tackle they wish to but when they lose the fish two things happen. First the fish they lost will take other fish with him. Second their letting that fish go with a lot of mono and spectra trailing behind them. If you want to fish 30 or 40# go fish for fish that you can land. When the YFT show up in numbers you’ll be good to go. Rant over, time to go fishing.

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
AP
Boat
73 Boston Whaler 16'7
That fish killing Crew is Jeff, Scotty, chopo and chef Mikey!

They have their own boat now, Outrider out of Fishermans.
yah! Scotty is a bonifide fish killer / Deckhand... Chapo Is one of the hardest working guys / knowledgeable In the bizz and Chef Mikey made the best buffalo chicken melts anywhere on the planet.

Jeff could be a Dickhead, but what hard working skipper isn’t?!

They’ve been one of the best charters I’ve ever gone on and I really hope the changes they’ve made with the crew have been for the best.

im thinking the bite was probably off, as the Tomahawk has always found their own fish and fished away from the rest of the fleet.

Is Capt Mike running with the Outrider Now??

Reactions: fishnfool2 and 998R

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
I have gotten skunked many times on 2.5 days on the Topgun 80, old Eclipse and The Islander but never once blame those captains but I also caught many fish with those same captains. Now I have my own boat and could only blame myself for not catching fish:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.