Gonzaga Bay questions haul and launch

Nov 16, 2017
Avalon Catalina Island
Name
Jordan
Boat Name
Greenback
Few questions about Gonzaga Bay. I’ve camped at rancho grande before so I’m not a total kook.

I drive a 4Runner but it only has two wheel drive and I would like to trailer my 15’ skiff down this year. I’ve seen the launch area by alfonsinas but on navionics it shows a ramp at Bahia Willard. Is this a low grade concrete ramp? If not can I pay someone to haul and launch my skiff at alfonsinas?

Due to recent events of theft in the area and depending on tides at night would it better to beach my skiff in front of my camp ground site at rancho grande or at alfonsinas if I can get a room? I’d plan around a dead low tide in the middle of the night so the skiff would be dry on the sand until the tide rises and I would retrieve my anchors and go fish. I figure if anyone messes with my skiff they wouldn’t be able to move it and I would hear any commotion out side my palapa.

I hear the Cabrilla fishing at the islands to the north is consistent on surface iron and other lures but the rest of the area looks flat and sandy. Is there good halibut fishing in the area? I assume any yellowtail or white seabass would be hanging out around punta final a little deeper and bite on the dropper loop Mac or yo-yo.

I appreciate any information. I know it’s a lot easier to just hire a panga captain but I enjoy setting my own schedule and finding my own fish. I do want to support the local community through these hard times. Thanks guys salud

Upvote 0

FM-Outside

Almost A Member
Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat Name
Anchor Baby
We usually stay and launch at Papa Fernandez, I remember someone saying they'll let you launch for a fee if you're not staying there. We stayed at the last camp, think its called Sacrificio, once. They were launching us with a tractor. Camp was good enough but the washboard road on the way in was literally shaking trailer screws loose so we never went back. I've never stayed at Alfonsinas, I'm sure others will chime in.
As far as fishing the sandy areas, we've pulled a lot of bass out of there casting and quite a few XL grade sierra on the troll ( not sure if they're still around this time of year). The occasional rooster is spotted as the water warms up.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2016
sb
Name
Jose Caballero
Boat Name
"Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
One day we were exploring high spots looking for big groupers in rocks, and one of my buddies insisted on casting a big leadhead. I told him he was wasting his time, 150-180’, where we pulled up some little red snappers and a zillion orange spotted sandbass on big lures, and he was striking out but refused to get on the iron with us... until he got bent on a really sweet lazy 32-34” light grey halibut that we short-gaffed onto the boat and then the grill.

Other than that, I only bounce balled once, briefly scratching for tons of eelgrass, but I’ve seen big halibut heads in the slaughter piles of the alfonsinas pangas so they’re obviously out there.

Regarding launches, Ive used muddy launches along the alfonsinas airstrip with mixed results (Tacoma and 17’ arima, easy drop tricky haul), but my recommendation would be that you look for a lovely retired expat couple named Jim and Darda. They spend more than half the year in a charming home on the alfonsina strip. I have a feeling if you treat them right they can give you some really excellent launching options... and please send them a hug from jose.

Reactions: dizzyspots
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2016
sb
Name
Jose Caballero
Boat Name
"Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
Oh yeah. Keep an eye open for surface action anywhere in a ten-mile radius, and troll in 30’ when the tides are turning.

Upvote 0

3464james

Feb 14, 2018
Placerville
Name
James Dawson
Boat Name
18.5' Wellcraft
You can launch at Alfonsina's, back side of the bay into the estuary, and that's OK, Several accessible areas at high tide.You will have to recover it there as well, I wouldn't suggest leaving it there. You can launch at Papa's, concrete launch ramp. You may also launch at El Sacrificio. I stay there regularly. You can camp or stay in the cabins, $50.0 per night through August. They use a big farm tractor and tow you into the water also recover. Once again, don't leave your boat in the water overnight, I know, mine was stolen in font of Rancho Grande palapas. I drive to El Sacrificio in a two wheel drive three quarter ton Ford and no problem. It's about a mile, a long mile. There was going to be a concrete launch site constructed at the south end of Rancho Grande, where the break in the wall is. Rodriguez stated, but never came through, what's new..

Upvote 0