GOM rod and reel question

Discussion in 'Texas Fishing Reports' started by AZlongrange, Jan 21, 2019.

1. AZlongrange

AZlongrange Newbie

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    N/A
    So along the lines of the questions posted on the San Diego fora about gearing up from scratch, my question is if I was interested in gearing up for a 30 to 60 hr GOM trip, what rods and reals should I go able acquiring? My inital thoughts would be in order of priority-

1. A 95 or 100 size spinning reel, loaded with 65 braid, preferably marked at 10 yard/meter intervals and 50-100 yards of 40 lb mono. The thinking is I can use this for poppers, yummy flier, bait for BFT/kingfish/wahoo and I can make it work as a jigging rod, especially if I am using more generic jigging applications like diamond or yo-yo jigs. I think this rod gets priority because I can use a boat rod for the heavy stuff, and because the reel can do double duty as a surf reel. I am thinking a Penn Spinfisher, but am at a loss as to what would be a decent rod that will not cost as much as the trip (I understand the idea of buy once cry once, but given the option I would rather have a functional rod and spend the difference on another trip).
    2. A 30 size reel for bottom fishing and chunking. I was thinking either an Avet 30W or a Penn Fathom 60. I will probably have it set up for a loop to loop with 80lb braid and swap wind-ons as required. I am left handed so that cuts down on the options. I am wondering if I need a two speed rod given that cow are not particularly likely, or is there another application where two speed comes in super handy in the GOM. Any rod suggestions here would also be helpful.
    3. A second 95 size spinning reel spooled the same way as the first spinning outfit and a rampage jigging rod as a jigging specific setup.

Any thoughts would be most welcomed, and would any ideas on how to either contract the list, or tweak it to make it better.

2. tugasangler

tugasangler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Yankee Capts
    What trip to the gulf ? Like scat cat ? Or like Yankee Capts

3. AZlongrange

AZlongrange Newbie

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    N/A
    Apologies, I should have been clearer, something along the lines of the Scat Cat

4. Texastuna

Texastuna Texastuna

Name:
    Jesse baker
    Boat:
    Dolphin Express
    Try the Dolphin Express in Port Aransas.I can get you set up on rods and reels.Jesse