Oct 25, 2006
Woodland Hills, CA
www.cabosbest.com
Name
Richard Chudy
Boat
None
Golden Gate Striped Marlin - Cabo San Lucas
Here's a few pics from the Golden Gate Bank north of Cabo San Lucas late Oct. early November 2008. Insane bite and we have a 25 minute video of it coming out soon. Both the video and the pics are available for purchase. Photos print as large as 20x30 inches, matted and framed size is 30x40.

Hope you like em.... if you want to purchase prints, send me a message or call me at 818 702 0879 - Richard

Attachments

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
Great photos. Thanks for the report. I'm headed there is 3 days and will fish most if not all of next week. I may fish both the outside and Gordo Banks, all depends on the seas as I'm in a 24' boat.

Any tips of rigging? Looks like it was a live bait (mack?) bite. Bridled? Did you make bait at the G.G., closer in, or buy it on the way out?

Thanks,
RO

igfarich

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 25, 2006
Woodland Hills, CA
www.cabosbest.com
Name
Richard Chudy
Boat
None
The bite still seems to be going.... hope it holds up for your trip. We kept the rigging simple... double line to 80 lb leader with a circle hook ( Eagle Claw 2004EL ) and pinned on caballitos without bridling. We did buy the bait in the harbor for the first day. Later in the week, we started with the standard 10 baits bought from the pangeros but really had the best luck with mackerel we made on the bank... bait making was pretty easy. Once again, same rigging, no bridling. They'd usually be up on top in the early am but would move down to depths as deep as 100-150 feet so rubber banding a 2-4 ounce sinker about 10 feet up from the double line did the trick to get the baits down far enough to entice a bite.

RC

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
The bite still seems to be going.... hope it holds up for your trip. We kept the rigging simple... double line to 80 lb leader with a circle hook ( Eagle Claw 2004EL ) and pinned on caballitos without bridling. We did buy the bait in the harbor for the first day. Later in the week, we started with the standard 10 baits bought from the pangeros but really had the best luck with mackerel we made on the bank... bait making was pretty easy. Once again, same rigging, no bridling. They'd usually be up on top in the early am but would move down to depths as deep as 100-150 feet so rubber banding a 2-4 ounce sinker about 10 feet up from the double line did the trick to get the baits down far enough to entice a bite.

RC
Richard. Thank you for the information. I know that last time I was down, the caballitos way under performed macks, but we didn't have a choice the last couple days we were there. I think the EL hook is a "light wire" hook if I remember correctly? I've never used that particular hook, but I understand that they pull free boatside fairly well. Size 7/0-9/0 I assume?

Ok, showing how new to this rigging I am, the double line is just a 3-4' section (swivel to swivel I think) up stream from your leader? (another 5-6'?). Only have a couple trips under my belt and I'm trying to do a crash course before heading down. I'm sure I'll make a ton of mistakes, but I'm having a kick doing it on my own...

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Richard. Thank you for the information. I know that last time I was down, the caballitos way under performed macks, but we didn't have a choice the last couple days we were there. I think the EL hook is a "light wire" hook if I remember correctly? I've never used that particular hook, but I understand that they pull free boatside fairly well. Size 7/0-9/0 I assume?

Ok, showing how new to this rigging I am, the double line is just a 3-4' section (swivel to swivel I think) up stream from your leader? (another 5-6'?). Only have a couple trips under my belt and I'm trying to do a crash course before heading down. I'm sure I'll make a ton of mistakes, but I'm having a kick doing it on my own...
You can just tie an albright knot (or improved) to connect your spectra to about 8' of 80# leader. Tie the hook on with a perfection loop.

The hook should be about a 6-8/0 depending on the bait size.

That's all you need. Go catch...