I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 22, 2010
Loma Dorada. Tijuana Mexico
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
Did a gold leaf last night and when I put color preserver on it.. it flaked a bit and ripped a bit and now it has some black/blank showing through.. Doesnt look horrible. but not the look I was hoping for.

Has anyone gone over it twice? thinking of just trying to patch it up in a few spots or most of it and just do 2 layers and use a better softer brush this time. I think it was laid on too tight.. and when I pushed down applying the CP it tore in some spots.

Been suggested to me that it may not show as much with finish on it.

but wanted to know if anyone has put 2 layers of the leaf and how it turned out.

Len? You are first person I thought of and Bill Falconer mentioned you in a private PM as the expert?

TIA for your thoughts guys. Love the feedback.. good or bad. sometimes being told it looks like crap can be helpful.

dragon scale.jpg

Reactions: Buttchaser

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
I would work on the packing and burnishing of the threadwork adjacent to the dragonscale.

I am not a fan of the gold leaf if it cannot be buffed to a shine.

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
that thread will be under the Fuji Palm Support reel seat with "hidden thread backstop"
I have a 3" locking thread hood and will cover about 1" past that burgundy thread and never show. Not even close to final on the thread work. Will be doing decorative trim on then ends once I figure out the edge of Fuji Hood. I just overwrapped it so when I put a coat of finish it will flatten out and fill in under the reel seat.

Reactions: One_Leg

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
I've never used leaf on a rod before and it's been a long time since I've used it at all, but it seems to me like you could just touch up the blank spots.

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
I've never used leaf on a rod before and it's been a long time since I've used it at all, but it seems to me like you could just touch up the blank spots.
Bill. waiting on the Capt Sarcastic Skrilla to chime in.
Talked to Bill Falconer and he says that Len taught him everything on gold leafing
Was very complimentary of Mr. Skrilla.. Bill credits him in his YouTube Videos
I will owe.. 2-3 cases of Muscle Milk before I see him again...

It looks really good.. just not perfect/awesome.. and If I can get it touched up.. will look better than using Metallic thread for dragon scale IMHO. it is very unique look. I am thinking of trying to just touch up.. see how it looks. I doubt it can look worse. It would look .. "fine" as is. I'd give it a "C" and looks sort of "antic" with some black mixed in and with rod finish.. only I'd notice.. just more a learning thing and sharing ideas.

I re watched Falconer's videos and he has some photos of some solid colors using Blue Foil leaf and it damn those looked good.

1594248123403.png

here is link to video.. there are 4 in a series. great videos

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
Todd, did you apply adequate adhesive and give it enough time to get dry and get tacky? Did you press/burnish the leaf after it was applied? And did you go wide open throttle when you applied color preserver? Those would be my guesses as to why it flaked off.

You could fill in the "holidays" by dabbing adhesive and leaf scraps over it. Though it may alter the variegated pattern slightly.

Bill Falconer... WOW looks like you mastered the technique. Bravo keep it up! :appl:

All thanks to Bill aka SALTYDAWG and Jim Trelikes. Those guys were the inspiration. I just combined a sample of each of their work into one project and the rest is history.

Reactions: tgorman

Orca

シャチ, 鯱
Aug 16, 2003
Mira Mesa Ca
Name
Don
Boat
2359 Trophy, Irene Sea
Todd you are like a bull in a china shop. Gold leaf takes a delicate touch and patience. reapply sizing to the bare spots and add your leaf and go through the process again. be patient and gentle grasshopper. :)

Reactions: tgorman

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
Don, I actually really really tried... to be patient. and I've worked with gold leaf doing some art work (flat stuff) and I took my sweet ass time.. and you know me well. I can get impatient but it looked good.. I burnished and used brush and foam and my fingers . I had brushed off the edges and was using fingers to roll it in good on the edges and was happy with it... and then applied CP .. and all tiny rips and holes started to appear..

Its possible I got a little to fast or pressed too hard on the CP brush trying to get some of the bubbles out... think I'll try to use a sponge brush for CP tonight.

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
What size thread did you use for the diamond pattern? Looks to me that if you could use a thinner thread, the "valley" wouldn't be as steep and the foil's stretch wouldn't be to the point of ripping.

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
What size thread did you use for the diamond pattern? Looks to me that if you could use a thinner thread, the "valley" wouldn't be as steep and the foil's stretch wouldn't be to the point of ripping.
My technique I apply a thin coat of epoxy over the Dragon Scale. This way the epoxy creates a slope and a smoother texture to lay down the gold leaf.

8 Week Wonder on here bypassed the epoxy layer and was still successful at laying down the gold leaf despite the "steep valleys". He does have a more finessed approach aquired from years of experience. Apparently us neanderthals have a ways to go.

I don’t know diddly about gold leaf, but do you need to put CP on it?
No, but it helps seal and protect the leaf when you go to apply your finish. It's a delicate material.

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
I did your technique.. been working on this every few nights for a week.,
I did the epoxy underneath thin coat .. I did everything about right..

I think a better application brush would have helped and most likely I pushed too hard with the cp.. ... without my glasses on.. it looks perfect 8-)

As soon as kitchen table (my work bench) is available.. will be trying again.

I don’t know diddly about gold leaf, but do you need to put CP on it?
The CP .. is not for CP.. it is to seal it and not have bubbles when you apply finish.
Watch and listen to Bill Falconer's video and he explains why. His videos are outstanding

And he credits Len and JT and others but he has really mastered it and his work... is . wow good.

And.. as a perfect example.. what if I had applied finish and I got the flakes in the epoxy?
I'd be cutting it all off with a razor.. so glad I did it even though I F'd it up.

Pretty easy to see how trapped air can get under the leaf and the dragon scale. so a coat of CP is not going to hurt you at all. It can only help.. IMHO

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I did your technique.. been working on this every few nights for a week.,
I did the epoxy underneath thin coat .. I did everything about right..

I think a better application brush would have helped and most likely I pushed too hard with the cp.. ... without my glasses on.. it looks perfect 8-)

As soon as kitchen table (my work bench) is available.. will be trying again.

The CP .. is not for CP.. it is to seal it and not have bubbles when you apply finish.
Watch and listen to Bill Falconer's video and he explains why. His videos are outstanding

And he credits Len and JT and others but he has really mastered it and his work... is . wow good.

And.. as a perfect example.. what if I had applied finish and I got the flakes in the epoxy?
I'd be cutting it all off with a razor.. so glad I did it even though I F'd it up.

Pretty easy to see how trapped air can get under the leaf and the dragon scale. so a coat of CP is not going to hurt you at all. It can only help.. IMHO
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

tgorman

Jul 22, 2010
grovescapital.com
Name
Todd Gorman
Boat
Robalo R180
E. but I used a thin coat of epoxy to smooth that out. . That was not the issue
And it looks best with a NYLON E IMHO. It was only after the CP was applied that I ran into problems

Here is what it looked like after I just applied the LEAF and had not really burnished too much and was letting it dry a bit more so I could brush off the excess.
it looked good.. and just had a bit too much leaf.. and it was 99.9% covered

IT was only after I applied the CP that the rips and the holes appeared

before CP.jpg

Reactions: SouthBayKiller