Going to Independence Creek

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by CamHat, May 7, 2010.

1. CamHat

CamHat Newbie

Name:
    Cameron
    Boat:
    Float Tube
    My friend just invited me to go camping at Independence Creek with him next weekend, and I have a few questions.

I was wondering where is the best place to fish around there? I do not have a fly pole, so any suggestions on the tackle/bait I should bring would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Cameron

2. E.M16

E.M16 Newbie

Name:
    Eric Mantz
    Boat:
    float tube
    independence creek has good fishing in there. crickets, salmon eggs, powerbait all work well. i would fish around the campgrounds (thats where they stock the most). OR... you can hit up the owens river using the same set up.

3. TonyH54

TonyH54 Whiskey Tango

Name:
    Antonio Pendejo
    Boat:
    Ask Jerry
    The fish are all put & take so they are not picky, they like to swallow hooks . Use a # 14-16 treble hook ultra light gear with no more than 4 lb test with 2 or 3 salmon eggs on the hook, or if you want some adventure, get some redworms and go downstream of the campground and catch some German Browns. Here is a little tip, just before Lower Greys campground you will cross a small creek. Follow the dirt road that parallels that creek up the mountain until it ends, maybe a mile or so. Park there and bust the brush along the creek for German Browns. Not big in size but tasty eating compared to the stocked trout. Take some folding chairs with you, there is a real nice kickback grotto under the shade of some old oak trees at the end of the road right next to the creek, real quiet and peaceful up there.
    Enjoy
    Tony

4. MeCrankMate

MeCrankMate TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
    Really good small creek fishing there, as well as the surounding areas. I've seen them stock some real hogs in there in som of the deeper pools in the campgrounds... like around 3 lbs. Good fun if you know how to handle a larger fsh in smaller, more confined pools. There are numerous places to wet a line in the area you will be camped. check out George Creek just before the Manzanar turn off. The stock the larger still water near the road but the stream before and after hold some fun fish for those that can trick them out. The lower Owens off Elna Road (below Tenemeha Res) is a popular spot and can kick out some toad Browns if you work it long enough. The also stock with rainbows there as well. Goodale Creek and Taboose Creek can be fun if water levels are up and they have stocked recently. Personally I would make the drive (an hour or so) to Bishop and hit up Bishop Creek, Sabrina Lake, and/or North or South Lake. These are the closest heavy hitters to where you will be fishing and are classic alpine trout fishing meccas. Good luck and tight lines.

5. MeCrankMate

MeCrankMate TheLegendOfTheLuckyScale

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Float Tube "Shark Dougnut"
    Spoons, spinners, minijigs, small rapalas, and natural (or power bait) baits are all you should need to slay the fish up there. The stocked alpers are typically not picky, but the native browns tend to fall for natural bait and immitators of other fish. Check the local fish reports for what' bitting on what or check out the other BD posts from past reports to see what the rest of us have done over the years. I know a few of my posts are in there.