Going to Hawaii in June, where to start?

jdmanowar

Mar 29, 2009
so cal
Name
jason
Boat
none yet
Hey BD'ers,
I am finally getting to live out one of my dreams this year and am headed to Hawaii in early June. Can any of you help me out with suggestions on boats out there to try and jump on. I would really love to try and catch a wahoo out there, but I don't know what will be running in the time of year I am there. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

walkerman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Make sure you know who gets the fish. Some boats keep the fish, or make you pay to keep fish that you caught.

Reactions: jdmanowar

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
Yeah, they keep the fish! I fished out of Kona! Research your vessel!

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
Live on Big Isle, "Ask and you shall receive". Boat will tell you ahead of time.Catch? you get something,it's just most folks are in hotel.So why waste ,when local economy can use rest of fish.

Reactions: jdmanowar

2454 big mike

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2015
Ramona
Name
Mike
Boat
Party crasher
Start me up sport fishing in Maui.
They let us have the wahoo my wife caught. We told them to give us a fillet to BBQ on the beach and gave them the rest.
Great guys we had a blast.

jdmanowar

Mar 29, 2009
so cal
Name
jason
Boat
none yet
Looks like we've narrowed it down to Oahu as the island we will be staying on...any other outfits u guys could recommend on that island?

Reactions: Puna Shibi

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Looks like we've narrowed it down to Oahu as the island we will be staying on...any other outfits u guys could recommend on that island?
Jason,
Magic out of Kewalo Basin, close to town/Waikiki, already mentioned, Live Bait at Waianae Small Boat Harbor, slips down from me (a little bit of a distance from Waikiki) or Chupu Charters Hale'Iwa, North Shore furthest of the 3 from Waikiki (he runs a few boats out of there). There are plenty of other good boats, these 3 outfits are all killers, just make sure you talk to them in advance to make sure everyone is on the same page. They all have websites.

Oh and by the way early June can be a good time for Onos (Wahoo), but it might be tough to convince the Captain to troll the ledge when the Ahis might also be chewing.

Cheers
Pat

Last edited: