doncatfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Finally!!! After a number of trips targeting the big boys it came together yesterday. When the big boys popped up they wanted to bite for a change. All of our hook ups were on flylined mackeral. My first hook up of the day was on 60 lb. test, 80 lb. leader, on a Accurate two speed and I immediately was feeling undergunned. After an hour 15 minutes on it, with it hanging 15 feet below, it finally got it's freedom with some help from the prop - Doh!

My second fish was hooked on 80 lb test, 130 lb. leader, on my Shimano Tiagra 20, 7/0 circle hook, feeling much better about the situation. 20 minutes into the battle the foamers push the school of anchovies right back at the boat, and I'm feeling 100 - 200 lb. free swimming tuna bumping my line hard as they are demolishing the chovies. Bump, bump, bump, with each one it feels as if my tuna has gotten off, but it hasn't. My fish is smack in the middle of the frenzy until finally one of the free swimmers cuts the line well above my swivel. WTF????

Finally the third hook up on the Shimano Tiagra with 80 lb test was the charm, taped out at 155 lbs, took 45 minutes on the 80. My advice is don't even consider throwing out 60 if you come across any of the big boys that have been popping up, they will exploit any weakness or mistake in an instant.

We did pull the yummy for about 30 minutes with no luck, did better running and gunning.

155 BFT.jpg heart.jpg

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Yeah baby that works! Great to see bait is working for a change!

galen

gfunk
Sep 20, 2004
escondido
Name
galen
Boat
15' inflatable "Pirate's Life"
Awesome catch. Probably the only time you will ever find yourself cursing free swimming tuna under your boat.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
My second fish was hooked on 80 lb test, 130 lb. leader, on my Shimano Tiagra 20, 7/0 circle hook, feeling much better about the situation. 20 minutes into the battle the foamers push the school of anchovies right back at the boat, and I'm feeling 100 - 200 lb. free swimming tuna bumping my line hard as they are demolishing the chovies. Bump, bump, bump, with each one it feels as if my tuna has gotten off, but it hasn't. My fish is smack in the middle of the frenzy until finally one of the free swimmers cuts the line well above my swivel. WTF????
Now that sounds like the greatest experience fighting a fish ever if it had ended differently.

WTG on sticking with it and adjusting till you made it happen.

Reactions: Hollis Harris

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Great job getting one, well done on the report too.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Damn. That's pretty sweet.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Congrats on an awesome fish, but I hope you did not eat the heart! Myth Busters South (other-wise known as the long range fleet) proved this does not adversely affect future catches... :D:D

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Excellent report. Pain that hurts so good