Going on a 5 day

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by nmthree, Jul 31, 2016.

1. nmthree

nmthree Nick M- So Cal

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None
    Going on the RR 3 at the end of the month. Curious as to the fishing right now. Never been on a LR trip before and not really sure what set ups to take for live bait given the bigger BFT in SD. Thanks in advance

2. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    It's impossible to predict what the local bluefin will be doing by the end of August. I'd expect you'll head south to fish Cedros or Benitos for yellowtail, with a look for yellowfins on the way down and back. Be ready to fish 40# mostly. You could bring a 50# outfit to fish jigs. At Cedros I've always done better with yo yoing- a Salas 6X in scrambled egg is my favorite. Last year about that time frame they had a good bite on wahoo for a couple of days just outside Benitos. Don't go overboard preparing for them but you might want to grab a Capt Jimmy bomb or two just in case.

Juanba likes this.
  3. Mr GreenJeans

Mr GreenJeans Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Mostly likely will be fishing south, including Cedros or Benitos. If you have it, bring along a heavy rod that can do triple duty for trolling, dropper loop at the island, and big BFT in American waters. Plan on fly lining for YFT and YT on paddies. Bring along some iron to yo yo for YT on the paddies and at the island. I like to bring a 25# rig for fly line, a 40# rig for fly line, a 50# rig for jigging, and an 80# for the heavy rig. If you want to, toss in a bass outfit for the island (sometimes gets used, but usually not). Bring a second 40# rig if you have it.

Have fun and post a report!

nmthree and Noah & Scoot like this.
  4. nmthree

nmthree Nick M- So Cal

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None
    Thank you!

5. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Nick, if that is you in your avatar then you have the right gear and the skills for LR. Just relax and have a great trip. Bring an alarm clock, sometimes you might want to fish in the small hours. And ibuprofen or whatever pain pills you like, you will get sore muscles. And protect your fingers and hands.

nmthree likes this.
  6. nmthree

nmthree Nick M- So Cal

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks so much. Can you give me a sense of how deep we'll be fishing?

7. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    flyline to maybe a couple hundo deep, depending on target species

8. Mr GreenJeans

Mr GreenJeans Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I assume you are thinking about how much lead to bring for your dropper loop. It might be as deep as 200-300 feet. Depending on current, it might take as much as 16 oz to hold the bottom. If you have it, bring along a couple of weights each at 4, 8, 12, and 16 oz. However, lead is expensive and heavy to schlep onto the boat. The boat will have lead to sell you and the prices are about the same as the landing tackle shops. So don't overbuy at the tackle store.

On a similar note, stock up on jigs before you leave the dock. While the boat will have things like lead, hooks, and mono, they usually don't carry jigs and may or may not have fluoro. Get both the 6x Jr for shallow drops and the 6x heavy for deeper drops.

9. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Enjoy the trip,will be on the sept 5 trip.tom

10. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Bluefin fishing is like fishing for ghosts. They are very boat shy most of the time. But, they are beautiful and delicious!

Best of luck. I just did a 4-day. Be ready for lots of yellowtail fishing. This, in my recent experience required a good 30-pound rig and very small circle hooks. That's what I got to work well, anyway. The yellowfin tuna were very small and scarce a few weeks ago.

11. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Hey Nick!
    I actually will be on this trip with you. I was on a 5 day on the Rooster this same time last year. Let me start by saying I am hoping by some massive stroke of luck we get permits for Guadalupe but I'm not so sure about that....lets hope!
    Generally speaking everyone has given you great intel here (one of the things I love about BD!). Last year we fished offshore kelp patty hunting going down to Cedros the second day arriving there at sunset. We had decent hits on Dorado this second day also. We then spent the better part of two days Yellowtail fishing there at the island. In the morning it was drifting inshore for larger models and in the afternoon drifting outside for school sized Yellows. This involved heavy dropper loop action and yo yo jigging. I would def. bring both weights (I used 12 oz the whole time) and an assortment of yo yo jigs came in handy.
    The Yellowtail fishing was outstanding and from what I am seeing this year is a super year for yellowtail again. Last year part of the 3rd day we fished Benitos on our way back offshore for a quick hit on school sized Yellowfin but that was it. The fourth day we fished offshore again heading north for home and had scratchy kelp patty hits gathering 36 dorado. Mid afternoon we hot a kelp patty for 103 Dorado and 1 Wahoo (yes thats correct, he was hiding out!). It was TOO wide open at times haha! it actually got stressful for a bit... anyways as you may know the dorado fishing last year was unreal.
    So far from what Ive seen there is great signs of Yellowfin but they haven't settled in to bite yet. The dorado are now showing up this past week also. Overall I really like our timing and am hoping those Yellowfin start to bite with consistency and the dorado keep arriving. I like our timing here:) I know several people on this trip, we should have a great group on board! The RR3 crew is outstanding in every respect. I fish this boat every year and somehow they just find the fish overtime....looking forward to fishing with ya!

12. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    As an after thought Nick they do have everything you need on board just in case from line to jigs..