goin up the coast from oc to monterey

DanaYakAngler

Jan 8, 2019
RSM
Name
Mike
Boat
Pro Angler 12
Hello, I know this is not a report, but I was looking for recommendations on places to shore fish as we work our way up the coast. Will fishing swimbaits be productive?

kichigai1

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Michael
Boat
none
There are a bunch of spots from Ventura north all the way to Gaviota. Where the 101 turns inland it 's about 40 or so miles before you see the coast again at San Luis Obispo.

That stretch in between Ventura - Gaviota can be productive. Go hit up up the Big Hammer website and you'll find tutorials for fishing plastics in the surf.

Wade K in deep

Fish 4 Sanity, CnR
Sep 24, 2019
Mariposa, CA
Name
Wade Knupp
Boat
Kayak & Kickboat
If you can stand losing more than a few lures, fishing around the rocks anywhere you can legally fish should be good. There are MLPA's along here so be aware of where they are.
Any rocky area should have Rockfish, Cabezon and/or Lingcod somewhere nearby. The further from easy access, the better. Also the closer to deep water, the better.
Use fairly heavy line. I like 40# braid. 1/2 to 1 oz. jigheads and 4-5" swimbaits are my bread and butter. I do like using scent or a squid strip.

Reactions: bassmeister

DanaYakAngler

Jan 8, 2019
RSM
Name
Mike
Boat
Pro Angler 12
Thanks for the replies! I am looking at every single rocky outcrop up the coast on google earth! More interested in bass/ling/cab/rockfish. Not interested in surf perch, however halibut would be awesome.

Wade K in deep

Fish 4 Sanity, CnR
Sep 24, 2019
Mariposa, CA
Name
Wade Knupp
Boat
Kayak & Kickboat
Having said that, 1 of my biggest was from the Monterey marina breakwater. Immediately after catching it the Coast Guard informed me I needed to move outside the harbor to continue fishing as where I was fishing was illegal.
When Moss landing's powerhouse was running, it also produced Calicos, but that was way back in the day.

DanaYakAngler

Jan 8, 2019
RSM
Name
Mike
Boat
Pro Angler 12
Having said that, 1 of my biggest was from the Monterey marina breakwater. Immediately after catching it the Coast Guard informed me I needed to move outside the harbor to continue fishing as where I was fishing was illegal.
When Moss landing's powerhouse was running, it also produced Calicos, but that was way back in the day.
Thanks for the info! It would be cool to catch a calico up north. That being said, I'm aiming for rockfish/lingcod.

d105

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
d105
Boat
Fish Cat 4
Monterey area itself can be excellent from the surf. I don’t live up there but when I’ve visited I’ve had good luck w/ carolina rigged grubs and also soft shells. Good luck.
8D8932BF-D310-4CF4-B6CD-9F27885E66D5.jpeg