"Glow Tassels" and making your own assist hooks?

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
I've been researching the forums and youtube on assist hook making (Credit to Benny of course + FalconerCustomRods) and think I have an idea of the "Best of the Best" products to use, but the one thing I haven't been able to really find here or anywhere else are the "glow tassels." Probably because i'm not calling them the right word, but that is what OceanCat calls them on their labeling.

Does anyone have a product they prefer to use and place to purchase? Do you also like to feed them into the knot as you tie it and then use adhesive or lay them on top and use the adhesive?

What I'm purchasing by the time I get back to SoFlo to make my own assist hooks:
Gamakatsu 510 size 3'0 and 4'0
Jigging World 130# Kevlar
Wolverine Triple Split Rings size 5
Haven't found what solid rings I should use
Bob-Smith Insta-Flex flexible thin adhesive

If you have any comments or recommendations, please feel free! Thanks!

Reactions: Cubeye

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Glow tassels....see fly tying materials. Marriots....or Outdoor Pro shop in N.
Cal. Any good fly tying shop should have something in a number of colors. Good luck brother.

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
For real glow, get glow in the dark Flashabou. I use white and pink glow in the dark Flashabou. There is also glow in the dark rubber leg material. I think it goes under the name of "glow in the dark crazy legs". I'll probably get some of that too. A saltwater fly tying vise will help you tie these materials on, but you don't have to have one. I've tied that stuff on just holding the hook in my fingers but it's a pain in the azz even if you know what you're doing.

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
Vs Fake Glow? What is real glow? And thanks for the advice! I have a vise on a work bench, so that won't be a problem
When I say real glow I mean glow instead of UV treatment. Actually some glow doesn't glow as well (as long) as others. I have several slow pitch jigs that will glow in different intensities and for different lengths of time. The glow in the dark Flashabou glows pretty well.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Be gentle with those 510s I broke 4 this week bending the eyes
Trick is to go slowly. It's rare, but that does happen occasionally. Good thing is that I've never had one fail on a fish, ever.

Reactions: Cubeye and jonhjax

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
I've been researching the forums and youtube on assist hook making (Credit to Benny of course + FalconerCustomRods) and think I have an idea of the "Best of the Best" products to use, but the one thing I haven't been able to really find here or anywhere else are the "glow tassels." Probably because i'm not calling them the right word, but that is what OceanCat calls them on their labeling.

Does anyone have a product they prefer to use and place to purchase? Do you also like to feed them into the knot as you tie it and then use adhesive or lay them on top and use the adhesive?

What I'm purchasing by the time I get back to SoFlo to make my own assist hooks:

So, my two cents, for what it's worth - I don't think glow tassels on your hooks really does anything to attract fish. You've got a jig fluttering around, four hooks swinging, water disturbances, probably a swivel or solid ring, and some leader...I don't think the glow tassel is going to be what makes the fish hit. I think that tying on the tassels, unless you've just got time on your hands, just makes hook assembly a bit more time consuming for not much benefit, if at all.

One of the things that I see people beginning SPJ do, and they do it often, is really try to jazz up their jigs or hooks with all of this other stuff. It can be a squid skirt (which I will use in rare instances at depth on a single hook, but def not all the time), glow tassels, that weird stinky gel that supposedly smells like bait fish - you name it, it's been tried. I tend to think simpler is better. The entire SPJ system is overly complicated, and by boiling it down into its basics, I've found that better results tend to occur.

eswebb12

SeaHorse
Feb 2, 2020
Fl
Name
Eric weber
Boat
Na

In the fly tying world it's called "crystal flash" run that through your search engine

Eric

Reactions: Cubeye and benwah22

Big.B

Dec 13, 2019
Miami Fl
Name
Brandon
Boat
Mako
thanks for everyone's input! Maybe I'll just buy one set of this material and put it on some single 4'0's for the deeper and a few assists just to try it out for a side by side.

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
In the fly tying world it's called "crystal flash" run that through your search engine

Eric
Crystal Flash or "Krystal Flash" does not come in glow colors, at least not that I've seen in fly shops, fly shop catalogs/websites or in wholesale suppliers' catalogs. Flashabou does come in glow colors and there's a difference between the two materials. Krystal Flash is twisted mylar and Flashabou isn't twisted. Krystal Flash does come in several UV treated colors though, but not in glow in the dark colors.

eswebb12

SeaHorse
Feb 2, 2020
Fl
Name
Eric weber
Boat
Na
Crystal Flash or "Krystal Flash" does not come in glow colors, at least not that I've seen in fly shops, fly shop catalogs/websites or in wholesale suppliers' catalogs. Flashabou does come in glow colors and there's a difference between the two materials. Krystal Flash is twisted mylar and Flashabou isn't twisted. Krystal Flash does come in several UV treated colors though, but not in glow in the dark colors.

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
That's the first time I've ever seen it and I was in the Fly fishing business as a guide, fly shop manager and fly shop owner for almost 20 years. The colors they show don't appear to be any different than the standard colors, which don't glow in the dark, but I've been wrong before. The best way to find out if colored materials glow is to get some and expose it to sunlight or a UV light and then put the materials in the dark.

eswebb12

SeaHorse
Feb 2, 2020
Fl
Name
Eric weber
Boat
Na
That's the first time I've ever seen it and I was in the Fly fishing business as a guide, fly shop manager and fly shop owner for almost 20 years. The colors they show don't appear to be any different than the standard colors, which don't glow in the dark, but I've been wrong before. The best way to find out if colored materials glow is to get some and expose it to sunlight or a UV light and then put the materials in the dark.
Cant say I've ever used it or purchased it.....

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
One of the fly shops I order materials from does list glow in the dark Flashabou Accent, which is basically the same thing as Krystal Flash. The shop's name is Ole Florida Fly Shop. I've been ordering supplies from them for a few years and I've never seen this in their website catalog. Go figure, huh? This is one of the reasons I don't like to use absolute terms in my speech or writings!!!

MrFish49

May 28, 2019
Duluth
Name
Eugene Lee
Boat
none
on a side note, does anyone know where to get the bulk packs of the 3/0 Gama 510s? Can't seem to find them anywhere besides getting the 4 packs

eswebb12

SeaHorse
Feb 2, 2020
Fl
Name
Eric weber
Boat
Na
Perhaps their website.....

Reactions: MrFish49

MrFish49

May 28, 2019
Duluth
Name
Eugene Lee
Boat
none
Perhaps their website.....

You know thats where I should have looked first, just kept skipping over their sight thinking it was just the specs page.
Though doing the math Bass Pro 4 packs are cheaper then buying a value pack from them for some reason.
Gamakatsu: $1.29/hk
BassPro: $1.19/hk
That's the price with local tax for BassPro and no shipping for either.

eswebb12

SeaHorse
Feb 2, 2020
Fl
Name
Eric weber
Boat
Na
You know thats where I should have looked first, just kept skipping over their sight thinking it was just the specs page.
Though doing the math Bass Pro 4 packs are cheaper then buying a value pack from them for some reason.
Gamakatsu: $1.29/hk
BassPro: $1.19/hk
That's the price with local tax for BassPro and no shipping for either.
Amazon has the 4/0 big packs for $25ish

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.

eswebb12

SeaHorse
Feb 2, 2020
Fl
Name
Eric weber
Boat
Na
Never ordered from here but perhaps....

As I had stated, I had never ordered from Srmo.com in the past. After posting, I did place an order from them for a few items including the Benny suggested 3/0 510's and some additional flouro. I was very surprised and pleased to have gotten a phone call from them this morning. Although they're currently out of stock in ref to the hooks, they will have more in on friday to ship out. Nice to see a company that still has customer service. They could have easily just sent out an email but the phone call was nice

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
on a side note, does anyone know where to get the bulk packs of the 3/0 Gama 510s? Can't seem to find them anywhere besides getting the 4 packs
I get them at Shark River website. Good price and service.

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I had glow hair on my assist hooks. I use splicable kevlar for the leader and like the Ocean Cat assist hooks. The glow hair fouled the entire rig because it was so thin an wispy. I think a good quality flat fall paint and assist hooks are more important.

Reactions: Big.B and Cubeye