GloJRI8 or PL68 squid conversion??

locvetter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Have loved following Mooose29's flat fall thread, and Whaoodad's what you working on thread, but both have pleasantly wandered, and this one might have fit either, but neither perfectly, so:

With all of the certainty of the completely unknown, I have decided that big tuna like squid better than fish and the these classic lures move more like fish, but might be made to look more squid like, and I lacked time management skills. Decided to put big dumbbell eyes before the hook, and glow the hook, and add hooks to mimic tentacles. It was not an efficient process, likely will never see success, but was fun.
JRI8gloeye.JPG
JRI8GLOEYES.JPG
JRI8glowcloset.JPG

The dumbbell eyes I tried to make by brazing posts and discs, but lacked the skill, so I used my little lathe to turn it out of aluminum round bar. The glow is powder coat green glow over white.

Last edited:

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
Never hurts to think about what the fish see's in deep water, and not what we see in daylight.

Reactions: locvetter

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
So, for me, not so much. Might get a sniff on the sink, but all the added “stuff” adds a lot of resistance when grinding the heavy jig back up, YoYo style. Tiring enough with the current sleek profile.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
I like it. It’s not overthinking, it’s new thinking and that’s how better mousetraps get built. Kudos to you!

Reactions: j fish and dh515

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
What powder coat are you using?
Tautog_17 is the guy. Can't remember the name of his little company, but I bought the green glow from him. He did not have the white - so I was sucked into the internet world of powder coating and h=now have a toaster oven and a bunch of other stuff --

the thread that got me going was:
Glow Powder Paints for Jigs + Sinkers

Tautog_17 Well-Known "Member"
Name:
Matt
Boat:
N/A
Hi

Sounds like you are the right path.

Here is what i have done for hooks...

1. Heat hook overa heat gun for a few seconds.

2. Quickly swish hook in non glow white powderpaint.

3. Heat hook again for a few seconds. You should see the powder on the hook melt and turn smooth

4. Dip a couple times in glow powder paint.

5. Cure 10 min in a toaster oven at anout 350 deg-F

This should be a good start for you but still requires some experimentation. And i would recommend a fluid bed but it is not essential.

Here is my number if I can answer more specific questions.

617-794-7279

Matt

Word: get a toaster oven that you can put on it's side -- ten you could do the jigs. Loving wife did not like me cooking my jigs in her kitchen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pangamaster

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Either way, don't forget to braze that bottom ring....
I am going to braze them all. After I braze, the rings look a bit uglier - until I use the blackening fluid for the stainless - even then, too ugly for photos of the concept. Thanks for noticing and warning -- I have done things like forgotten to crimp in past.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I like it! But I also add assist hooks at the top (no water resistance, Steve) and then rub the lure with Unibutter scent every time I re-charge the glow with my UV flashlight.

Those south LA lowrider types have the right idea. If it's stock, it needs fixing!

Reactions: FishAcquisition

Sacto John

Sep 6, 2013
United States
Name
John Humphreys
Boat
1987 11'4 Boston Whaler Super Sport
I like it!. I too think trying to imitate a squid is the right way to go, so i bought one of theses jigs to try:

I have upgraded all the hardware and hooks since these were made for lingcod fishing. I will try it on the 1.75 Bluefin trip on the Aztec I'm getting on on Monday, I will let you know if it works.

I do think that it is possible we are overthinking this a little, especially since the Shimano style flat-falls keep producing results.

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I think those dumb ass bft will hit it. After seeing a so-called "Chandelier Flat Fall" rig get bit on my 8 day, I cannot even say anything sounds or looks dumb anymore. If I did, I got proven wrong every time..!! Now I just shut up.
The "Chandy Flat" rig had the sardines baited up on the assist hooks. He drops it over and hooks right the hell up. So I think anything can go..!!! :)
Your PL68 rig looks much nicer than the "Chandy Flat" rig ever did...

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Cool. Keep tinkering. Getting closer. Its endless possibilities too.

I like it... sometimes its good to play outside the sandbox!

Experimentation... wonder where would we be without it?G
Electricity would had never been discovered for what it is. Or the wheel. But the wheel should had been a no brainer LOL