Johnny Sixgun

Go where the fleet isn't
Sep 7, 2014
N32.45 W117
Name
John
Boat
TTT
When I'm done with a paddy, if nobody else is on it I don't mind letting someone else know where it is.
Last year, on a day that paddys were scarce we found one that had a couple nice sized dorados on it. We passed it many times trying lots of different techniques that failed. On one pass we came so close they were just out of gaffing range!
People were giving updates on the radio of what was/wasn't going on in different areas. I too said earlier that I had a paddy with a couple dodos w lockjaw, hadn't said where yet.
A boat I had been having small talk with earlier asked if I minded giving him the #'s of the paddy when we were done with it, they were free divers and wanted to give it a shot.
Thinking that'd be cool to see, we drifted one last time and told them where. By that time we happened to be right on top of the 182, I mean right where waypoint coordinates show. So that's what I told them. Said there might as well be a sign on the paddy that said, Welcome to the 182. I didn't say the #'s, didn't think I needed to, most know these things obviously.
My question is-
How do you tell someone without giving it to ALL the people out there? I'm sure you've seen how a lonely paddy can turn into a zoo of over 20 boats in a matter of just minutes. I've heard people jump to other channels to talk about locations, but I've followed people to other channels too. I know some have secret codes/channels they've pre planned, but sometimes I'll meet people I don't know on the radio that I'd like to share with.
I hear guys giving partial #'s over the radio like, "we're at 40 over 50". Is that giving the minutes, assuming you know the N & W degrees? I'm guessing the 1st no. is Lat because of saying "over" I'm usually inside the 117 and 32 myself, but I know anyone is anywhere on the radio.
I'd like to pass off info on the water to my fellow fisherman without opening it up to the whole zoo of idiots that are out there ready to punch #'s into their gps, and to learn for my benefit too of course.
AS FOR THE FREEDIVERS.....
They showed up in less than 15 minutes. We sat far enough to not to disturb anything but close enough to see. About 50 yards off the paddy 2 guys dropped off the side of their boat, an adult and a teen. They swam towards the paddy and disappeared below the surface just before getting there. After a minute or two we saw spears in the air with 2 dorados. It was the kids first fish! There was a freedive tournament going on that wknd, so they were pretty happy. We left and they thanked us over the radio. He also said there was a big yellowtail down there that let his nephew have some target practice, I'm guessing that meant he didn't get it lol On the way out we saw lots of boats heading that way. I'm glad the guys we intended to get there did before it turned into a zoo with a destroyed paddy.

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    get 2 meter radios and you can call all your friends in without the googans

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    If you're done give out the real numbers and go in.

Enjoy the Googan Scramble on your way.

Otherwise I use a code predetermined...

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I'll I ever do is YELL one word
    Carl.jpg

Cause he's the King.Of course its in code so no one else figure it out.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    we have a second channel we use between friends and don't give out the channel number.... but if we are done and there are fish biting we use lower power, hail on 72 and let fisherman that are close a opportunity to fish the paddy if they want...

Reactions: Johnny Sixgun
    Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Why call out the numbers.... some Googan is going to see you and haul ass over there anyways.....

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    As stated, codes, secret channels, or 2-meter radios are the best way if you've planned ahead with your buddy.

Another method I've used is to ask the guy I'm calling in what *his* numbers are. Then I give him a bearing and distance to me. That method isn't foolproof, but it makes the other boats work a little harder to figure it out if they know how to use their chartplotters...

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    Unless you both have sophisticated electronics or a private channel worked out already, it's easier to just use your phone.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Give out the numbers, it's good karma. So we're 30 miles out and hear this faint radio signal, " i'm jugged, the #'s are..." 4 miles away so we went. At 1/2 mile from the numbers all we see is a little dark stick...no...that's a guy standing on the water...it's a guy in a 12-14' aluminum tiller steer waving us in.

That's where this vid came from...when we were done we passed it along....

A couple years later I found the magic paddy and called it out after wfo dorado for a couple straight hours....Brian Wooly rolled on the numbers the next morning and got limits for 45 passengers. Made me smile when he told me. :D

This is just the last 1/2 hour on the afore mentioned paddy....

Pass it on, who knows, maybe it'll change someone's life forever. ;)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

NATIVE

Deeper and Faster
    Apr 2, 2008
    Earth
    Name
    'Smitty'
    Boat
    BaseCamp Parker 2520
    When I'm done with a paddy, if nobody else is on it I don't mind letting someone else know where it is.
    Last year, on a day that paddys were scarce we found one that had a couple nice sized dorados on it. We passed it many times trying lots of different techniques that failed. On one pass we came so close they were just out of gaffing range!
    People were giving updates on the radio of what was/wasn't going on in different areas. I too said earlier that I had a paddy with a couple dodos w lockjaw, hadn't said where yet.
    A boat I had been having small talk with earlier asked if I minded giving him the #'s of the paddy when we were done with it, they were free divers and wanted to give it a shot.
    Thinking that'd be cool to see, we drifted one last time and told them where. By that time we happened to be right on top of the 182, I mean right where waypoint coordinates show. So that's what I told them. Said there might as well be a sign on the paddy that said, Welcome to the 182. I didn't say the #'s, didn't think I needed to, most know these things obviously.
    My question is-
    How do you tell someone without giving it to ALL the people out there? I'm sure you've seen how a lonely paddy can turn into a zoo of over 20 boats in a matter of just minutes. I've heard people jump to other channels to talk about locations, but I've followed people to other channels too. I know some have secret codes/channels they've pre planned, but sometimes I'll meet people I don't know on the radio that I'd like to share with.
    I hear guys giving partial #'s over the radio like, "we're at 40 over 50". Is that giving the minutes, assuming you know the N & W degrees? I'm guessing the 1st no. is Lat because of saying "over" I'm usually inside the 117 and 32 myself, but I know anyone is anywhere on the radio.
    I'd like to pass off info on the water to my fellow fisherman without opening it up to the whole zoo of idiots that are out there ready to punch #'s into their gps, and to learn for my benefit too of course.
    AS FOR THE FREEDIVERS.....
    They showed up in less than 15 minutes. We sat far enough to not to disturb anything but close enough to see. About 50 yards off the paddy 2 guys dropped off the side of their boat, an adult and a teen. They swam towards the paddy and disappeared below the surface just before getting there. After a minute or two we saw spears in the air with 2 dorados. It was the kids first fish! There was a freedive tournament going on that wknd, so they were pretty happy. We left and they thanked us over the radio. He also said there was a big yellowtail down there that let his nephew have some target practice, I'm guessing that meant he didn't get it lol On the way out we saw lots of boats heading that way. I'm glad the guys we intended to get there did before it turned into a zoo with a destroyed paddy.

I (we) use Pig Latin...

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Giving out fake numbers is a dick move.

If I'm done, I sometimes call out the numbers.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I despise my VHF radio if im out running around looking for paddies, especially on weekends.I work my ass off all week and the last thing i want to do on my precious day off is to listen to a bunch of idiots on the radio.I will have my stereo on serius xm listening to ozzys boneyard or classic vinyl or my ipod relaxing and enjoying my weekend off.
    The VHF radio is nothing but a distraction for me.

Reactions: Let em eat 74
    Upvote 0