not cool

Giant BFT #100 Braid Drag Settings - 16 VISX

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by 5-20, Oct 21, 2018.

1. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Can you help me think about this more.

I've been tinkering with the drag on my 16 VISX with #100 Pro Spec.

I filled a bucket with just about 25 lbs of water and set my drag to slip at strike right at that, both with the rod on a rail (second story balcony) and at a direct pull.

It felt like a lot to handle. I tried walking back and forth a few feet and obviously a bucket isn't the same as a swimming fish, but in close quarters night time combat fishing when you may have 4 or 5 people or more hooked up at once, it kind of seems like it'd be a good idea to let the fish run a little and get cleared out from all of the lines. It felt like at 25 lbs a big fish could be really pulling me around and it'd be hard to lift the rod or get it out of tangles.

I messed around with the water in the bucket and the drag. I think it felt the most comfortable and reasonable with strike set at 21 lbs.

I had the adjustable strike stop at the #3 position and that was right around 25-26 lbs.

But here's the thing. At full stop, I only had about 34-35 lbs of drag. And that worries me a little, especially since the reel has 45 lbs of drag to work with.

I'm leaving about 10 pounds of drag on the table and I am not sure if I will be able to lift a 200 pound fish when it's doing circles right at the boat with the reel maxed out at 35 lbs .

What are your experiences? Will really appreciate your input and suggestions. Thanks.

2. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    The reel can fish easily at 30# at strike with 100 lb spectra , what type of rod and what is it rated for?

3. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I know the reel can have 30 lbs at strike, but is that a good idea?

What if there's 4 or 5 hook ups going on and a lot of crossed lines. I'm thinking the rod would be hard to handle at 30 lbs and get out of tangles if that happens.

I've had some people suggest setting strike at 22 lbs just for that reason.

Curious about your experiences with a light and heavy drag with a big fish early on in the fight and later on. What did you learn from that experience?

The reel is matched up with a Calstar 7470H at 50-100.

4. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC
    There’s a point of how much drag you can handle stand up - 17 lbs for some 24 for others (some strongmen have said they can handle 30lbs drag without going to the rail or fighting harness)

Above your personal max standup drag, you will need to use the rail as a fulcrum (a technique where you rest the fore grip on the rail and leverage the rod to exploit the rig’s max drag)

A starting point for cow big bluefin tuna fishing 80lb line, for example, may be 25-30 lbs at strike setting (depending on your line rating and target species - if you're around structure or over deep ocean - but not move the drag lever above your personal max zone until you go to the rail - ie, you don’t move the lever all the way to strike position while in standup mode

Many will tell you to back off strike position until AFTER you achieve a solid hookset and the tuna has made a good run in deep water, including me

Then when u need to follow the fish or hand off ur rod to a deckhand - back off the drag to where you can handle it - tuck the butt end in your armpit - and strongly reel the line tight as you walk or run along the rail to follow your fish (keeping a bend in the rod at all times)...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    nmthree, Highwayman and ripped like this.
  5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    20-25 lbs at strike seems good. Can you pull on 25lbs for a while out far. Remember that at the beginning of the fight where you probably aren’t going to be using the rail. Once you are in control vertical and using the rail you can push up the drag, put it in low and put some hurt on the fish. In my experience, prolonged fights are more the result of dicking around with fish is vertical and a low drag setting is being used rather than from a low drag setting initially.

stephen campbell likes this.
  6. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Geebee, thanks. One thing about this reel is that the drag literally starts working at strike. It isn't like an Avet where there's a bit of functional drag before you put it into strike and the drag curve seems to be very different from my HX raptor which has been my big fish reel for the last 3 years.

With the VISX, it's in free spool and then the first stop is "strip" and that has about a pound of drag. Then the next stop is strike. There isn't anything for the drag in between strip and strike so once I bump it into strike that's when the drag essentially comes into play.

So that's why I'm a bit concerned about getting the drag right, at a level that's manageable for me and will also give me enough drag in the upper end of the curve to lift the fish.

Southbay, thanks for the input. That's something to think about, too. I think I may be comfortable at 22 lbs.

You guys that have it set at #30 at strike.... damn... that might have been me in my college days. Nowadays, I think I might find myself pinned against the rail, especially during that first run!!! :) :) :)

7. joelgame

joelgame Member

Name:
    Joel
    Boat:
    Royal Star, 2310 Parker "Barely Legal"
    That rod is light for 30 pounds of drag

ripped, lasparky11 and 5-20 like this.
  8. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Joelgame, that's a good point and gives me something else to think about. Thanks.

9. wieisme

wieisme Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    22' IMP
    Also keep on mine as line is peeing off your drag pressure is increasing... I set my mak16 with 100# at 25 at strike, but just below the strike I’m at 20#

Highwayman and 5-20 like this.
  10. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC
    I have an avet HX but never held a penn VISX so I checked it out on YouTube to see what you’re talking about - the lever looks like it has some click stops between free and strike - that’s what I would have been pointing to if it doesn’t work that way

Great reel...

11. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    So to clarify, you're weighing the bucket and not using a scale to measure the drag pressure directly? Your drag setting are almost certainly higher than you think. To lift the bucket at all the drag setting has to be higher than the weight in the bucket bc acceleration. I did the same when I first picked up my rail rods and was disappointed that they didn't feel comfortable picking up significantly less weight than the drag I planned to fish at. I bought a scale and learned why Jaime said not to play with the bucket.

Get a scale and see where your drag settings are. Trying to lift a weight doesn't feel anything like what a fish does, or at least when you have control of the rod. If you really wanna see what it feels like find a park and have someone run around holding an end loop in the line. Looks stupid but you can learn some things from that.

12. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    Try setting your Adjustable Strike Stop at "2", then dial the pre-set to give you 21 pounds [or whatever you want] at that position. See what that will then give you at "Full".

13. IronMikeAC

IronMikeAC Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    You cant stop the cow BFT with 21 lbs drag at strike, 30 at full. I recommend 27lb drag at strike, then whatever at full. Thing is, you dont have to go all the way to strike at first, particularly when jigging. I saw several of 30ws almost spooledwith highest drag on cow bft. Honestly, the 16 is too small uf you're targeting cow BFT. 30w minimum, 50 best.

1469336_a5e3c4b2cf434b1f6d3c1939f234a49d_thumb.jpg

5-20 likes this.
  14. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Surprised to see this thread pick up some steam again. Appreciate all of your input!

No, I'm not just using a bucket, I've also got a Rapala spring scale that goes up to #50. I'm just using that bucket full of water to simulate how my set up might feel under load at the rail and then going back and pulling on my drag with the Rapala to get accurate numbers.

I've got strike set at #22 right now. Maybe I'll bump it up to 24-25.

Yes, you can always go bigger and heavier, but I plan on fishing flat falls for hours on multi day trips. Doesn't make sense to me to pick a rig that's so heavy and unbalanced, it might wear me out after a couple hours of dropping 250-500g flat falls at 3am.

Gotta get the bite before you can even think about putting the fish in the boat.

Seems like the full moon has gotten some of those giants to come out and play!!!

15. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    DB6180F1-2F52-4528-9A36-F7D281397E40.jpeg

I just got off a trip yesterday morning with a 197# flat fall BFT. I have a 16 VISX as well and it’s mated to a Calstar 775xh (60-120). Since I am a larger and fit guy, I used a strike setting of 30# personally and it crushed this size fish in :10 using a bridled flat fall with a huge 16/0 hayabusa circle hook.

No matter what worked for me, you have to stick to what you can handle and you are right on with doing bucket tests for simulating the fight. I would suggest using the second strike stop for setting your comfort position of 22#. Leave the one at the number 3 and set it to 30# and place your early one where you get what you want. You still will have the full usable range of drag if you need it and you don’t have to worry about slamming it strait to 30# inadvertently. Remember while fishing the flat fall you will strait up and down already and if you hit them hard in the beginning, you might never have to fight them out away from the boat. Just my .02. Best of luck out there.

Another thing to add to this and I feel it’s very important. Mark your spectra every 100’. When they are marking fish at a certain depth, you want to be in the right zone. No need to reel all the way back in, just work the lure in that depth zone.

tbev, loosendrag, kbray001 and 3 others like this.
  16. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Too awesome. :) Congrats on that beautiful fish!!!!

Thanks for the tips!!!

17. BrokenBackRebel

BrokenBackRebel Deckhand/Fish Addict

Name:
    Justin Ryan
    Boat:
    17’ CC, Aztec and Apollo
    Line capacity is more important than reel size. I fish 100lb JB on my mak16 and feel very confident with 200+ pound bluefin. With proper connections I can pull pretty damn hard on that rig. Normally I’m around 20lbs at strike. I wouldn’t want to fill it with 130 and hook a big, mean fish. Not enough line. One thing to remember is when that fish is peeling out line on a big run and then stops, the fish didn’t actually stop swimming. It has angle. Left, right, down, whatever. When that spool finally quits spinning its most people’s natural reaction to drop the rod and start pumping. Don’t. Just start winding. Grinding. Your not just trying to wind that fish back to the boat. It’s not done. Your trying to promote more angle. Get that fish swimming any direction other than away from you. If you can get a little piece of that fishes nose you can normally make big gains before he starts dumping line off your reel again. If you drop your rod to wind down thinking your about to manhandle that tuna 300yds back to the boat, your really just giving him his head back. Couple kicks of his tail and line is coming off your spool again. I landed a 3 on a 16, a 2 on a 12 and just shy of 2 on a 10 but I’ve used back ups on 20’s for 175s and emptied the spool on a 30 with nearly 40lbs of drag when the reel was full. We have the upper hand because they don’t know what the hell is going on, otherwise we wouldn’t stand a chance.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    tbev, 5-20, stephen campbell and 6 others like this.
  18. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Spoken like a true pro. Hope to fish with you guys someday soon.

BrokenBackRebel likes this.
  19. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Wanted to share this report with some interesting details that may be useful for the archive and for anyone doing a search later on.

I went on the Pacific Queen's 3 day full moon BFT trip last week with high hopes of getting on one of those awesome flat fall fish. On the boat, I kept on playing with my drag, it was all over the place from 22 to 25 lbs. at strike. I just couldn't decide where I really wanted it and decided to ask one of the deckhands for some advice.

He just pulled on my drag. I had it at 25 lbs at that time and he said it was way too much. He kept on pulling on my drag and backing off on the drag until he was satisfied (and he told me he had a ton of BFT) and I should trust him.

I pulled on it and couldn't believe how light it was. I ran downstairs to get my scale and oh wow... it was set right around at 16-17 lbs!!!

I kept on thinking about it and I thought that was just a little bit too light and I bumped it up to 20 lbs.

So, for the trip report.

We didn't fish at all the first day between the drive and making bait in the evening.

The second day, we got on a good school of BFT in the morning. The first couple or three fish were in the #100-110 range. None of them hit jigs. They were all on sardines. Then we did a couple more drifts in which the fish started to get smaller. I finally hooked up on a flyline sardine on my Talica 12ii with #60 and it ripped drag for a while but it started to become apparent that this wasn't the giant BFT I was looking for.

Still excited to get this beast of a fish. I wish I'd gotten a picture of its massive shoulders.

We ended the day with 11 BFT between 40 and 110 lbs and that one YT. 9 on sardines and two kite fish I believe.

The third day, we zeroed.

The search for something that'll give my 16 VISX a true test continues!

Pacific Queen Yellowtail.jpg

tbev and geebee like this.
  20. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Nice forkie brother!

5-20 likes this.