w2much

w2much
Sep 16, 2006
Vista, CA.,
Name
Gerard
Boat
Striper 21'
Once again skunked.4 times in a row. If 500 boats launch or leave their berths 10 or 20 will catch that elusive bf or yf or dorado_Of that 10 or 20 three or four may post about the big fish they caught.Pictures will show one or two fish.Those are the post you are reading. 75 degree green water up and down the coast and out 20 miles. Seiners are gone as are the fish.Stay home this weekend and be patient. I hear the hot bite has been in Monrovia, Apple Valley, even Redlands. Or come on down to Oceanside see if you can find a parking spot. Saw two googans in fisticuffs over a parking spot. Fun times for all.
NFIO

captainsdc

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Shopping for something else
And now I'm going to the islands to actually catch something other than a buzz and fuel bill headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Water temperature shows warm water all around in a solid area across Southern California. If the fish are not here, it's not because the conditions don't permit it. Might just be that they all got caught by the commercial boats so you have to wait for the next schools to show up, or might be because there's a storm going on down south and they're sitting deep.

My feeling is that the green water is what's putting them off. Wait a few days and see what's up; we have calm seas coming up so that could well get them on again.

fish&snow

lurker
May 27, 2014
Name
James
Boat
Reel Freedom
4 trip skunk here. :zelfmoord May just stick to the island on Thursday.

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
Be positive, Gerard! Over the past few decades there is evidence the population might have increased, and it could become a greater part of the fishing "experience". Good thing we all love each other, even "that guy", sort of o_O.
DumpTrump.jpg

We could be laying asphalt in 90 degree humidity at noon on the 5? I'd rather fish.

Have a superfantastic day!

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Just go. Get away from the fleet. Follow the birds. Enjoy paddys on the side. It's not epic... yet... or will it improve? That's the fun part.

Search and destroy if you can... good luck. If you give up that's better luck for me.

akunui

Jan 15, 2007
oahu
Name
jason
Boat
28 Henriques "KEALOHA"
dont worry..boats will be cheap soon/heavy tuna gear. Enjoy just the possibility of the impossible which is happening now. A 20lb yellowfin will be the highlight of the season in the coming years as usual. All these fools will disappear.

Seagina

Super stoked to fish.
May 7, 2003
Carlsbad
www.spectrum-hardware.com
Name
John Martin
Boat
25 Skipjack Fisherman
Once again skunked.4 times in a row. If 500 boats launch or leave their berths 10 or 20 will catch that elusive bf or yf or dorado_Of that 10 or 20 three or four may post about the big fish they caught.Pictures will show one or two fish.Those are the post you are reading. 75 degree green water up and down the coast and out 20 miles. Seiners are gone as are the fish.Stay home this weekend and be patient. I hear the hot bite has been in Monrovia, Apple Valley, even Redlands. Or come on down to Oceanside see if you can find a parking spot. Saw two googans in fisticuffs over a parking spot. Fun times for all.
NFIO
I also have gone on 5+ trips with s big dam skunkO. Even fished the yellowtail tournament off SC island after launching out of Oside at 230 in the am with whiteswash across the whole jetty..... But we did farm a phattty! Then on last trip hit the 209, 181 etc for zero. Glad I'm not alone.... Agree, leave oside alone for a minute

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
I confess i too have been chasing and sitting and draggen everything but my lunch behind my boat Bout 400 in fuel 5 trips , had the fish ten feet from the boat 1 and 2 hundred pound fish werent shy they looked up at us and laughed and slide out of site. could have jumped on top of one and roped it , but thats not fishing most of the people i see out there are courteous and know whats goin on and seem savy , the rest im sorry for because maybe they didint have as good of teachers as some of us , Dont get me wrong i dont know everything or surely i would of decked a toad b fin by now . but goddam its a hell of a lot of fun just being out there . and if you are like me i feel totally at home on the water . but never lose respect for the ocean it can turn ugly real quick . luv n fishes to all B

hotrail20

Intrepid 200 LB Club
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
We have been lucky so far this year and we will be on the water Aug 3rd and 4th they are Gonna go that week Moon is right, as far as Green water everything we have caught has been in Green water GT on 7

Saintwho

Jul 25, 2014
Name
Chris
Boat
2101WA
5 or 6 trips down, no bft. Is what it is but as was said you don't catch anything from the sofa. Caught a sheepshead, ling cod and a white seabass which were all bucket list items going to and from the land of the bluefin... Therefore not a loss at and and probably going tomorrow. Will try hard for bluefin, if it doesn't happen I'll get some other meat and still be eating good protein.

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
This post really tells the bigger story this year. I also can add my name to the 5 skunk club. Last trip we got bit off and then landed a 75lb bluefin but yea just like the rest of you I am headed back out.

OciferDave

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2006
California
Name
Dave
Boat
35 Cabo OC + 30 Grady Baja
I think the stats are pretty solid. One out of four or five trips. We finally got a piggy on the fourth try.
So to change it up we went to Catalina for the weekend. Ended up catching yellowtail abortions and killing my liver.
Much better to chase bluefin.

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
I agree it's a all or nothing deal on big boys!!! I unfortunately have been zero on landing. Have fought a couple. Had two caught on my boat. But that's two big BFT out of too many to count. Lol. I'm ready to wsb mako whatever. It's not always elnino

Headshot

Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
I'm right there with you brother, 4 times and nothing!
I'm going to give the bluefin tuna fever one more shot, then it's down to Mexico for the rest of the year! Thanks for the report!

tsmith

May 16, 2009
ramona ca.
Name
tony
Boat
26ft. 1970 Sea Ray
I'm there 3 time skunk for me,,, last time was a 13 hour trip, had all the artillery,, 85 gallons consumed that trip. Was on boilers 4 times, tried everything for notta,,, totally humiliated , that was July 25,,,,, I'll be back

DawnPatrol

Cora's & Hollis' GrandPa
Mar 27, 2005
Fletcher Hills
Name
Alan
Boat
2520 Parker SL 250 Yammie
I'm there 3 time skunk for me,,, last time was a 13 hour trip, had all the artillery,, 85 gallons consumed that trip. Was on boilers 4 times, tried everything for notta,,, totally humiliated , that was July 25,,,,, I'll be back
yep same here
found them but no go
even the Mahi we found on paddies had lockjaw

captainsdc

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Shopping for something else
6x here and I'm outta time off to chase em. Damn it!

ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
I broke my wrist 10 weeks ago and still have 3 weeks until I might be able to fish. Could be worse.

1fishdude1

Oct 8, 2008
San Diego
Name
fishdude
Boat
THE DUDE
I'm still zip with 6 trips down. Each trip has been different in a fun way. But I'm still going again!!

Ditto on the zip part. Going tomorrow out of MB so I can end up in La Jolla and take something home if offshore fails. Got to get Mr :shithappens: off my boat.
The Dude

w2much

w2much
Sep 16, 2006
Vista, CA.,
Name
Gerard
Boat
Striper 21'
Followup Sunday July 31. I said I could not wait to go so I did. Buddy says NFIOS so lets go to Mexican waters. So we loaded up the boat equal amounts of beer and bait and went south. To the upper hidden. Stopped on birds a few miles south of the coronados threw on them, quad hookup. Things looked so fishy, was gonna be a heck of a day.. Actually had line spooling off my reel. Almost forgot what it felt like. Bonito, lots off them , all you would want, which meant one each. Cool good start, lets get some dodos on the way down to the tuna zone.
Headed south and thought we saw the fleet. Must be hot right? No, it was the Mexican tuna fleet. Never knew how strong and large their fleet of seiners was. Counted at least 50 seiners, some towing pens some searching , some netting. It was like a circus, nets and pens on the move, spotter planes above.
Trolled, soaked, stopped on patties which were already run over and probably thrown overboard by the seiners.Sport boats were searching, trolling and never stopping. No fish in Mexico today Check the counts.
Water was fairly clear and temps were all above 73 degrees. But it was like going grocery shopping when the shelves are empty. Headed home. $400.00 gas and bait and beer. Great to live in America.
Left my place in Vista at about 430 am arrived home at about 10pm.. Guess who was on my front lawn. He was black, had a big tail, and a cute white stripe . He turned around and showed us the BH and left. Funny as hell , all four of us staring down the BH of a skunk at the same time.
Point being he left. The skunk was gone. Hopefully that was the sign.
Yeah, the good Lord works in mysterious ways.
Hope your skunk is gone also.
Can not wait to go again
Got gas?

Last edited: