hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
Okay. I know Mikes Web site, number etc... is here on this post, and several others. How about a way to get in touch with Rosie too? From what I've heard, she is going to be offering storage as well. How does one find how to get in touch with her about all this????

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Myself, Offshore 6 (Eric) Canyonman (Joe) come from the East Coast. Shipping is the only way to do it efficiently.

Mike Morris Big Fish Transport is your friend. Call him and arrange the shipping and meeting you at the airport.

I am fortunate where I leave all of my rods and tackle at a friends house in SD.

If I didnt I would use Big Fish Transport.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Kevin if you go back thru the forum Steve K told you how to get in touch with Rosie
Mike, you're a true gentleman. Glad I got to meet you, only once at Fisherman's Landing as we both greeted several anglers returning from the Okuma trip on Excel.

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
Late to the party as usual and he doesn't look like he needs anymore endorsements but chalk up one more satisfied Big Fish Transport customer. I have made 3 trips from Texas to SD and back in the last 20 months and Mike has taken care of me and my gear like I was family. He has even bailed me out of several potential clusterfcks that could have really put the dampers on my trip. On top of all that he is just a dang nice guy.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Kevin if you go back thru the forum Steve K told you how to get in touch with Rosie
I was cruising threads and stumbled onto this. I need to set it straight. When I last spoke with Rosie, I learned she no longer offers storage service. Stick with Mike.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Casey,

Plano Jumbo Airliner has wheels (a BIG plus) & can ship 12-13 rods tips to tails. (Gimbals 1/2 to 1" beyond the rod tips.) Bubble wrap between & around the rods & overlapped at the ends! Then gather with multiple Velcro straps. A cardboard sleeve for the wrapped rod bundle, makes in inserting & removing easy & adds an additional layer of protection between the rods & the plastic of the tube.

Tight lines & a very fishy 2019!!

Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
I fly Southwest and carry reels on carryon and poles as baggage. Under 91 inches. It does restrict me to 7 ft. poles. I use a bazooka pro. I tip the guy 10 bucks for poles and tell him make sure there on plane. 15 trips and no issues
That's what I do. No issues w SW

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I take all my gear with me on the flight. Alaska Airlines counts your tackle box and rod tube as a single bag so I can check those and another bag for free. I take my reels as carryon. Have only made the trip with rods and reels once but no issues and free. My rod tube holds 7'6" rods and stays below the 8' limit. So for now I am staying with the free option. It would be a pisser if they lost or broke my rods but I know from experience I can catch fish with loaner gear from the boat.

Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Mike Morris with Big Fish Transport is the way to go. Getting your gear to the landing is easy. The hard,and incredibly stressful part, is after the trip. You’re tired, you get up early to unload your gear and what do you do with it.

You normally can get it into a locker at Fisherman’s Landing while you take care of fish processing, etc, then what?

Mike will be at the landing waiting on you. He’ll pick your gear up, box it back up and ship it, on your dime, back to you. The last time I checked with him, he charges $100 which includes a ride from and to the airport. He’s insured but best of all, a heck of a nice guy.

I’m in Tennessee and like working on my gear leading up to the trip. Mike will also store gear, but that removes the fun of pre-trip planning. I’ve urged him to bump his rates a bit as it’s a bargain at $100.

Upvote 0

PhilM

• Dec 14, 2018
    N. Idaho
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    B
    Casey,

Plano Jumbo Airliner has wheels (a BIG plus) & can ship 12-13 rods tips to tails. (Gimbals 1/2 to 1" beyond the rod tips.) Bubble wrap between & around the rods & overlapped at the ends! Then gather with multiple Velcro straps. A cardboard sleeve for the wrapped rod bundle, makes in inserting & removing easy & adds an additional layer of protection between the rods & the plastic of the tube.

Similar here. I only have experience with Spokane, Seattle, Lihue and Airports transporting gear but so far no issues.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ducksbuddy

Jan 6, 2017
    Columbia Missouri
    Name
    George Nickols
    Boat
    intrepid
    I have a trip coming up here in a few and due to time constraints I am going to have to fly to SD. I just got off a trip and my shit ton of gear is at a buddies house in SD right now, which is cool for the short-term, but I am wondering about getting everything home to the land of Zion after my trip. So the question I have for all of those who travel to SD to fish is: which is better, shipping your gear or taking it on the plane with you?
    Call Mike Morris big fish transport he will take care of it all!

Upvote 0