clemente_killa

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Jul 29, 2011
Nevada
Name
Casey
Boat
Big X
I have a trip coming up here in a few and due to time constraints I am going to have to fly to SD. I just got off a trip and my shit ton of gear is at a buddies house in SD right now, which is cool for the short-term, but I am wondering about getting everything home to the land of Zion after my trip. So the question I have for all of those who travel to SD to fish is: which is better, shipping your gear or taking it on the plane with you?

Upvote 0

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
I'm the same way, I hate leaving my gear behind, ya never know when a last minute comes up and you need it. That being said I am restricted to driving, it would be nice to have a gear lock up somewhere, I have way to much shit to fly with , but damn that would make the back and forth so much easier.

Upvote 0

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
Driving my gear is my preferred method.

I shipped my gear UPS once, to California, 2 day air, and it was mistakenly put it on a truck going to the east coast. I finallly got it back 2 weeks after my trip was over! The address and stickers were all correct they just completely screwed up. The only thing UPS was willing to do was refund the difference between their air shipping fee and normal Ground charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
now that I'm going 4 or 5 times a year, the 10hr drive ew is getting old, it would be really nice to have a gear locker somewhere down there.

Upvote 0

HoleSnipe

WhoDat
Sep 21, 2015
Tx
Name
Marco
Boat
None
I fly Southwest and carry reels on carryon and poles as baggage. Under 91 inches. It does restrict me to 7 ft. poles. I use a bazooka pro. I tip the guy 10 bucks for poles and tell him make sure there on plane. 15 trips and no issues

Reactions: Montaukmaniac
Upvote 0

FLLR1

Almost A Member
Jan 30, 2006
Florida
Name
LT
Boat
Boston Whaler
I just got back from a 5 day trip on the Shogun. Sent my rods to the office via FedEx 2 weeks before the trip. That way if there was an issue, there was time to get it fixed. Took my rods on the flight back since I did not have any time constraints. No issues.

LT

Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
I ship ground UPS two weeks ahead to Mike at Big Fish Transport. He takes care of shipping it back. If you can ship through your work or a friendly business, rates are much less than for an individual.

Reactions: bparker1225
Upvote 0

clemente_killa

Jul 29, 2011
Nevada
Name
Casey
Boat
Big X
I appreciate the responses. Keeping everything in SD would be ideal, but I do like having my shit close to home so I can check things out and maintain as needed in my off season. No question my reels will be in my carryon bag when I fly home. The hard part is going to be my gigantic tackle box. I have a lot of resources in SD (I lived there for several years), but maybe I'll give big fish transport a call.

For those who fly, what kind of case/protector do you use for your poles? I noticed skb has a case out and the Plano jumbo seems to be popular.

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
now that I'm going 4 or 5 times a year, the 10hr drive ew is getting old, it would be really nice to have a gear locker somewhere down there.

There is a storage, rental locker near the landing. Google it. but I hear it's very expensive. I know a person that does several trips a years and uses a storage locker and just come in early and stays a few days to clean his stuff up before flying home.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The ideal solution would be to seek a fishing partner in Utah that you can plan to share the driving and travel expenses. Where in Utah do you live?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Proven track record, Mike Morris, very nice man.

Also,check out Rosie Flowers, yes, that Rosie, previously affiliated with Fisherman's Processing.

She can be reached through Cedros Sportfishing 619-772-7570. She offers a nice service for storing your tackle, arranging for any needed repairs, etc. I'm sure she'll look in on this, I'll send her a message. Try her on her cell phone 858-442-5270

Last edited:
    Reactions: hagridfish
    Upvote 0

clemente_killa

Jul 29, 2011
    Nevada
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    Big X
    The ideal solution would be to seek a fishing partner in Utah that you can plan to share the driving and travel expenses. Where in Utah do you live?

I live in Salt Lake City and have several folks I fish with on a regular basis. Typically we drive down, but this time flying was our only option.

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
    Name
    Craig Simcox
    Boat
    none
    Don't you love it when this forum does what it's supposed to do :D Not involved at all, but thanks to all the great responses...

Reactions: finishright
    Upvote 0

MJ73

Sep 6, 2016
    Utah
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    None
    If your on Delta fly with your gear. I have flown back and forth many times with gear. Zero issues, and if you have status it is free. I live just south of you

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Upvote 0

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
    brooklyn
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    Independence
    Mike makes life easy. Hop on off with carry on that's all. Mike filled a glaring need for guys flying in. What horror stories I can tell you of flying with gear. TSA taking a hacksaw to my bazooka tube. One reel coming out at time in baggage claim. Lol. I try to to spread the news mike but it seems it's to good a product that some just are resistant. A good buddy of mine for example. Lol

Last edited:
    Upvote 0