SheepHead

Almost A Member
May 16, 2007
San Diego
Name
Aaron
Boat
none!
my grandfather passed away in october of last year and i found two of his old rods with reels in a storage closet. they were used in salt water and never,ever, rinsed or cleaned with fresh water in easily 25 years. they have all sorts of greenish rust and crust all over em now, permanently bonding parts together. any ideas on how to clean the shit out of em so i can hang em on my wall in honor of him?

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The easiest way is to soak them in white vinegar. Salt-X works as well.

Upvote 0

Carrasco

Ceviche Connoisseur
    Mar 28, 2008
    Downey CA, USA
    Name
    Mario
    Boat
    It floats!
    I looked arround the web for a solution for a similar problem and came across this bit of advice from an old painter:
    "I recently got Magica Rust Remover Spray from True Value Hardware, and it works extremely well. I have used it on the shower ceramic tile and concrete patio. You spray it on, no rubbing, wiping, etc. Among the additional surfaces that it lists are carpets, fiberglass boats, clothing, bathtubs, stainless steel fittings, toilets, tools, and several others to numerous to mention.

It worked for me!

Upvote 0

GUERO

Mansfield to Alijos......
    Oct 24, 2004
    9210B
    Name
    Big Girl, AKA, Miss March
    Boat
    Pinnacle Sportfishing
    lime-away works surprising well too

Upvote 0

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
    Nov 10, 2005
    Vegas Baby!
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
    Try the white vinegar as AKSalmon suggested. I soaked the chrome parts of my buddies corroded Penn 113 for a day and they came out clean as a whistle. Only going to set you back $1 and the wife might have some in the kitchen.

Upvote 0