Getting rocked?

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
I had a YT once on 25# drop loop and 30 seconds later the line is frayed....learned my lesson to go heavy and button the drag down. Rather snap my own line than let a fish do it to me

Salquistm

Jun 15, 2020
Corona
Name
Mitchell Salquist
Boat
Soon
Thanks for the comments! I feel like I’ll be more prepared next time. On a positive it sounds like we found some good sized fish or at least fish and that’s half the battle. I’ll bring heavy gear and pull like hell on the next go. Regarding fighting the fish/pipe/rock for 20min after a couple minutes I just put my pole in the holder with the line tight and fished my other rod. I did try putting it in free spool to see if that would free things up. Obviously that didn’t help lol. The next couple times I cut the line after a minute or two. First bite of the day and didn’t want to possibly let a big one go. I’ve never hooked anything big bottom fishing and wasn’t sure how big halibuts fight. Anyways hopefully I’ll get out this week and if I pull anything up I’ll post an update.

Reactions: pacificscout

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Thanks for the comments! I feel like I’ll be more prepared next time. On a positive it sounds like we found some good sized fish or at least fish and that’s half the battle. I’ll bring heavy gear and pull like hell on the next go. Regarding fighting the fish/pipe/rock for 20min after a couple minutes I just put my pole in the holder with the line tight and fished my other rod. I did try putting it in free spool to see if that would free things up. Obviously that didn’t help lol. The next couple times I cut the line after a minute or two. First bite of the day and didn’t want to possibly let a big one go. I’ve never hooked anything big bottom fishing and wasn’t sure how big halibuts fight. Anyways hopefully I’ll get out this week and if I pull anything up I’ll post an update.
To me it does not sound like you found fish unfortunately, it sounds like you were hooking the bottom. No fish, big or small, puts a big bend in the rod but doesn't shake around at all and doesn't run at all. The fact that you say right here "sounds like it was a fish" means you aren't sure which means it wasn't a fish. Besides little pecky short bites that happen from time to time, if it's a fish biting you'll know. If you actually hook a fish, it will be absolutely clear.

Reactions: KXKH

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Spaghetti Madness
Reminds me of this time I was fishing Oceanside pier and this guy attracted a large crowd while fighting a massive “fish”, he fought it for hours. He was snagged in the kelp outside the surf zone, and the kelp would swing in the current pulling some drag, then swing back and he’d gain line. It was hilarious, guy really thought he hooked the big one!

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Reminds me of this time I was fishing Oceanside pier and this guy attracted a large crowd while fighting a massive “fish”, he fought it for hours. He was snagged in the kelp outside the surf zone, and the kelp would swing in the current pulling some drag, then swing back and he’d gain line. It was hilarious, guy really thought he hooked the big one!
Back in the day,
My friend would call that a jerk at both ends.

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
We've all been there. The movement of the boat & the kelp can, at times, make you think it's a fish, but one trick I've learned over the years is that nearly all fish have a tell tale "shake" that they do when pulling line, which kelp and the bottom never will. If after five minutes of "fighting" the fish, you don't feel the shake, it's 99% not a fish and at best, a bat ray.

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
A two pound bass or sheephead can easily rock you on the bite, especially fishing bait, especially in gnarly manmade structure like sewer pipe rubble or ARs. That first tick-tick you feel could be an exploratory nibble, or he's got it and halfway in his hole already. Try Dalurker's approach. Otherwise, if you can't yank him out or get him to swim again by giving slack, bust it off and retie.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Reactions: Salquistm

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
There are a lot of BSB on the pipe.. we've caught 5-6 several times.
They don't know their hooked.. they do a steady pull.. not like ripping runs like YT. Bring heaver gear next time.. lots of fun!

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Wish I could say that... I’ve donated enough lead and jigs... I could have opened a tackle shop... with the structure we fish... if you don’t get snagged your not fishing...
That’s why as a club years ago
We would have a lead pouring
Party, every year
Before we went on a Tony Reyes trip.
And had one of our members,
Go to Salas to buy jigs
By the dozen.