Getting rocked?

Salquistm

Jun 15, 2020
Corona
Name
Mitchell Salquist
Boat
Soon
First time posting and newer to ocean fishing, so hopefully I don’t sound to dumb. We took my buddies boat out of Newport and headed to the pipe. Saw some pelicans and gulls diving on the way there and decided to gave it a shot. Depth was about 35-45 feet. My buddy was jigging and I had cut squid on an egg weight at the bottom. He gets a hit and the line runs for a couple yards and then nothing but a bent rod... no more action just a bent rod. A couple min later line pops lose and he reels in his jig. About 5min later I feel two hits and I set the hook, I fell a quick pull and then the same thing just a bent rod. After about 20min of keeping the line tight I snap the line. This happened about three more times between us. I’m guessing we just got rocked but the bottom looked sandy on the finder. Any thoughts on what was going on and/or tips to keep it from happening again?

Salquistm

Jun 15, 2020
Corona
Name
Mitchell Salquist
Boat
Soon
I’ve never caught a halibut or BSB. Is that how they fight, do they just bury themselves and wait it out? My set up was 20 mono and a 15-25 rod, my buddies had 30 floral and a 15-40 Phenix BD. Is that to lite? If so what should we be running?
Thanks for the response.

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
either way, its still down there!

when structue type fishing, i use a 100% graphite 10ft rod with 60lb spectra and 7ft minimum topshot of abrasion resistance fluoro or Izorline First String.
as soon as you feel that tic, swing for the bleachers hold the stick high and crank your ass off!

never been rocked yet!
Muskie type rods fill the bill.

Reactions: Salquistm

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
Good sized sheep head just going in the rocks due to poor technique eg slack line, loose drag and lack of talent.
Yeah..sounds like big sheephead that pop out of a hole...grab your bait..then quickly go back in. About 15 years ago that same thing kept happening to me while on anchor at Cedros fishing squid on the bottom. Switched over to a 2 speed w. 60 lb topshot and was able to muscle a couple of 10-12 lb sheephead up.

Reactions: eddie8157

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
I’ve never caught a halibut or BSB. Is that how they fight, do they just bury themselves and wait it out? My set up was 20 mono and a 15-25 rod, my buddies had 30 floral and a 15-40 Phenix BD. Is that to lite? If so what should we be running?
Thanks for the response.

Typically, and if you want to have fun, your rigs are fine. When fishing structure you must not have slack line. When you get bit you need to pull and wind as fast as you till you get the fish going your way and off the bottom. At that point you can usually feel whether it's a big one or not. If it's big, don't let up. If the fish turns away from you, you may not be able to stop it with the lighter gear. If you loose it, pull out heavier gear and repeat.

Anyone who says they have never been rocked, hasn't fished that long or is a liar.

Fishing SCI Homeguard YT on a pinnacle with 40-50 lb, the success rate of very good anglers is about 50% for fish over #30.

Last edited:

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
OP stated:
I felt a quick pull and then the same thing just a bent rod. After about 20min of keeping the line tight I snap the line. This happened about three more times between us.

doubt it was the pipe. pipe wouldn't cause a "Quick Pull".

fish prolly took him to the pipe and hunkered into the structure.

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
Could have been one of these got this at Pipe last year

828E0A3A-91B7-49C0-BB13-D27F05F5C39D.jpeg